A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Pet peeves

Re: Pet peeves
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #934968 by thndrkttn
Sep 15, 2016 1:27pm
Board
Check another dictionary on salmon. I was raised with the silent l, but salm-on is absolutely acceptable.
Reply to: #934938 by Rocklun
Sep 15, 2016 1:39pm
Board
One of my coworkers--with an English degree from a prestigious university--always says "it's a mute point." Everyone he's talking to just kinda looks down at their notepads. I've tried to use "moot" in conversations with him, but he doesn't pick up on it.

Being he has such an impressive English degree maybe it's his own insider tongue-in-cheek way of saying, shut up. Perhaps, he really means "it's a mute (unspeakable) point" rather than "it's a moot point" which has different meanings depending on whether "moot" is used as a noun, verb or an adjective. Next time if the occasion arises why not beat him to the punch when the conversation goes down a rabbit trail and say, "It's both a mute and a moot point" and see if it generates some "Yakking It Up" laughter.
Reply to: #934970 by Frenchie
Sep 15, 2016 2:05pm
Board
maybe it's his own insider tongue-in-cheek way of saying, shut up. Perhaps, he really means "it's a mute (unspeakable) point" rather than "it's a moot point"

And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This is one of those cases.
Reply to: #934955 by speedsquare
Sep 15, 2016 4:17pm
Board
We don't have sales tax in Oregon, so I don't have to worry about that.

My hairdresser owns her own salon and I buy products from her. When she would run my debit card and then ask if I wanted to tip, I always tipped only on the haircut. I'm not going to tip on $40 of hair products.

KuKu
Reply to: #934968 by thndrkttn
Sep 15, 2016 4:58pm
Board
People not using their fleebing signal lights.

I just know you meant to say blinkers and just forgot, the sound being their most important function, after all. OH, oh! You reminded me about the directionally impaired: right-hand side (as opposed to the left-foot side), backwards (no s required), forwards (same). So many peeves, so little time. I know these are finesse things, but while we're on the subject. . .
Reply to: #934938 by Rocklun
Sep 15, 2016 5:04pm
Board
My friend once invented a game, similar in style to "bullshit bingo." You track egregious misuse of vocabulary, like the one you offer, and the more ridiculous, the greater the cachet. The only other rule was that they had to be oblivious that they were using the word incorrectly. She said you got more points the higher up the chain of command they were. She called them smugability points. Made meetings so much more interesting. And smuggley.
Reply to: #934817 by Topcollector
Sep 15, 2016 5:43pm
Board
I think some of you would enjoy this book. It describes a real-life quest to find and fix typos, grammar problems, etc. on a trip across the U.S.
Reply to: #934989 by Rocklun
Sep 16, 2016 8:13am
Board
Reply to: #934882 by photopam
Sep 16, 2016 9:17am
Board
Badly
Reply to: #934912 by Klaatu
Sep 16, 2016 4:37pm
Board
When did "way" become an acceptable substitution for "far" as in, "There are way to many grammar errors written and spoken by professional writers and speakers?"
I hear and see it in commercials and news on the radio, TV and newspapers.

That would be one of my pet peeves.....the incorrect uses of the words "to" and "too".

Had to do it.

Klaatu barada nikto
Reply to: #934882 by photopam
Sep 16, 2016 4:40pm
Board
The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's grammar. It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment for me in a situation where I'd normally be left feeling angry and disillusioned with the world.

deniserows
alot
Reply to: #934969 by zoemomma
Sep 16, 2016 4:50pm
Board
As an Alaskan who fishes, we never say the word sal-mon or sa mon or salmon. We refer to the genus Salmon by colloquial nouns that identify the species: Silvers, Pinks, Reds, Dogs, Chum, Humpies etc.

deniserows
with a sharp filet knife at the ready
Reply to: #935032 by MissMoon
Sep 17, 2016 5:03am
Board
I can't seem to find 'gonna', 'wanna', doya', 'cuz', havta' and other words in my dictionary. I guess
I betta buy a new one, huh? Anyone else have dasame problem?
Sep 17, 2016 5:05am
Board
Oh, and what about 'Donald Trump HE did such and such {substitute any name}}.
I better leave now or I won't get any boxing in today.
Reply to: #935036 by Sagacorn
Sep 17, 2016 11:44am
Board
I can't seem to find 'gonna', 'wanna', doya', 'cuz', havta' and other words in my dictionary. I guess
I betta buy a new one, huh? Anyone else have dasame problem?

That's very 'inneresting'. lol

I hate it when politicians change their speech patterns and grammar for each audience in different parts of the country.
Reply to: #935033 by deniserows
Sep 17, 2016 10:15pm
Board
Sep 19, 2016 2:52am
Board
Thank you for reminding me of an information tidbit I learned a while ago.
There is only one way to write this sentence correctly.
"There are three ways to write the word to."
Gregg's shorthand uses the same symbol for to, too and two.
K.
Reply to: #935097 by Klaatu
Sep 19, 2016 7:10am
Board
Gregg's shorthand uses the same symbol for to, too and two.

Interesting. I always think of 'two' as having nothing to do with 'to' and 'too' because it is a number.

I am a compulsive googler.....I guess that's a word now....auto correct is ignoring it.

In light of the general discussion....:)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-58-most-commonly-misused-words-and-phrases-a6754551.html

Turns out........• Irregardless is not a word but a portmanteau of regardlessand irrespective. [Note: Pinker acknowledges that certain schools of thought regard "irregardless" as simply non-standard, but he insists it should not even be granted that.]

Portmanteau huh? Who knew?

MM.....head spinning
Reply to: #935033 by deniserows
Sep 20, 2016 10:25am
Board
Have you read this? If not, you should. I would imagine that you would enjoy it immensely.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

ETA: GAH! Super Hedge Hoggie Beat me to the punch.