A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Pet peeves

by crosscresentProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Yakking It Up
... Is that Chaucer?
by Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
... Nauseous is an adjective.Nauseated is a verb. Here's the usage.
... Just pretend you've gone to another country and they're speaking another language. When in Rome....
... It's too bad that English has lost the familiar pronouns. They are so useful in other languages.
by dingus dufusProfileContactLogbookNote
Oh I hope not
by KlaatuProfileContactLogbookNote
When did "way" become an acceptable substitution for "far" as in, "There are way to many grammar errors written and spoken by professional writers and speakers?" I hear and see it in commercials and news on the radio, TV and newspapers.
by BBStackerProfileContactLogbookNote
OMG, uh knew weigh two rite uhh clough.
by RocklunProfileContactLogbookNote
One of my coworkers--with an English degree from a prestigious university--always says "it's a mute point." Everyone he's talking to just kinda looks down at their notepads. I've tried to use "moot" in conversations with him, but he doesn't pick up on it.
by TopcollectorProfileContactLogbookNote
HELP! I'm really confused now: {{Definition: nauseous If you’re nauseous, you feel queasy and sick to your stomach, and you might feel like vomiting. Could be the stomach flu or too much food before that roller-coaster ride.}} This is how I always u...
In American English, dictionary definitions are defined by usage. The more that new usages are used, the more likely it is that dictionaries will pick up on this and make that their definitions. That's why the definition of 'literally' is literally b...
by crosscresentProfileContactLogbookNote
Mike always says that he sat there and did something. Someone else sat there and did something. I'm kind of used to it now. But I'm always thinking he reminds me of a guest on Jerry Springer. He's going to sit there and go to the store. She sat there...
by speedsquareProfileContactLogbookNote
We always round to the nearest dollar, with the tip closest to 20%. My pet peeve is the new tabletop payment devices with the automatic tip calculator. I am capable of calculating percentages, and I refuse to tip the added tax. I realized the machine...
by thndrkttnProfileContactLogbookNote
Irregardless. Not word. In regards to. In *regard* to. Salmon pronounced with the L not being silent. I corrected a co-worker once because it really makes someone sound ignorant and her response was "You're in the south now and that's how we say...
by zoemommaProfileContactLogbookNote
Check another dictionary on salmon. I was raised with the silent l, but salm-on is absolutely acceptable.
by FrenchieProfileContactLogbookNote
... Being he has such an impressive English degree maybe it's his own insider tongue-in-cheek way of saying, shut up. Perhaps, he really means "it's a mute (unspeakable) point" rather than "it's a moot point" which has different meanings depending on...
... And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This is one of those cases.
by KuKuProfileContactLogbookNote
We don't have sales tax in Oregon, so I don't have to worry about that. My hairdresser owns her own salon and I buy products from her. When she would run my debit card and then ask if I wanted to tip, I always tipped only on the haircut. I'm not goi...
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
... I just know you meant to say blinkers and just forgot, the sound being their most important function, after all. OH, oh! You reminded me about the directionally impaired: right-hand side (as opposed to the left-foot side), backwards (no s required...
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
My friend once invented a game, similar in style to "bullshit bingo." You track egregious misuse of vocabulary, like the one you offer, and the more ridiculous, the greater the cachet. The only other rule was that they had to be oblivious that they w...
I think some of you would enjoy this book. It describes a real-life quest to find and fix typos, grammar problems, etc. on a trip across the U.S.
I like Eats, Shoots and Leaves.
by LampwickProfileContactLogbookNote
Badly
by MissMoonProfileContactLogbookNote
... That would be one of my pet peeves.....the incorrect uses of the words "to" and "too". Had to do it. Klaatu barada nikto
by deniserowsProfileContactLogbookNote
The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's grammar. It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment for me in a situation...
by deniserowsProfileContactLogbookNote
As an Alaskan who fishes, we never say the word sal-mon or sa mon or salmon. We refer to the genus Salmon by colloquial nouns that identify the species: Silvers, Pinks, Reds, Dogs, Chum, Humpies etc. deniserows with a sharp filet knife at the ready
by SagacornProfileContactLogbookNote
I can't seem to find 'gonna', 'wanna', doya', 'cuz', havta' and other words in my dictionary. I guess I betta buy a new one, huh? Anyone else have dasame problem?
by SagacornProfileContactLogbookNote
Oh, and what about 'Donald Trump HE did such and such {substitute any name}}. I better leave now or I won't get any boxing in today.
by MissMoonProfileContactLogbookNote
... That's very 'inneresting'. lol I hate it when politicians change their speech patterns and grammar for each audience in different parts of the country.
by Super Hedge HoggieProfileContactLogbookNote
Here is the legend of the great Alot :) http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
by KlaatuProfileContactLogbookNote
Thank you for reminding me of an information tidbit I learned a while ago. There is only one way to write this sentence correctly. "There are three ways to write the word to." Gregg's shorthand uses the same symbol for to, too and two. K.