A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Pet peeves

Re: Pet peeves
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #934817 by Topcollector
Sep 14, 2016 6:11pm
Board
I can totally relate to what you are saying. Most of my father's family is from West Virginia. I love them dearly, but sometimes I can't take it when they hold a conversation around me!!! Good grief.
I am not sure where they get some of that stuff and I have to really think about what they are saying.
NOT SAYING THAT EVERYONE FROM WEST VIRGINIA IS THIS WAY. Just using my relatives as a example.

One of my biggest pet peeves is "ICING". It is not icening!!!! There is only on N is the spelling!!!!
Sep 14, 2016 6:13pm
Board
See how icing gets me all worked up, I spelled one wrong!!!!!

There is only one N in the spelling!!!
Reply to: #934862 by LROSEM
Sep 14, 2016 6:16pm
Board
"Hang on my beer while I shoot that coy-ote"

😰😰😰
Re: Pet peeves Re: Boxes in Antartic
Sep 14, 2016 6:18pm
Board
Re: Pet peeves Re: Boxes in Antartic

I think these belong together.
Reply to: #934868 by cooledcoyote
Sep 14, 2016 6:23pm
Board
I think you are safe. My husband has only shot one coy-ote, from the front porch, at night, with a flashlight between his knees while wearing flip-flops. He doesn't even drink and the coy-ote had it coming. (I say this as a recovering vegetarian).
Sep 14, 2016 6:24pm
Board
AGREED!!!
Reply to: #934826 by Wry Me
Sep 14, 2016 7:32pm
Board
My mother ruined me on this one. She always used nauseous incorrectly, and I was an adult before I realized it.
Reply to: #934829 by Topcollector
Sep 14, 2016 7:32pm
Board
I always use the calculator, because I'm terrified that my horrible math will short-change the server!
Reply to: #934849 by Janila
Sep 14, 2016 7:37pm
Board
My son does this. "Me and Carlos are going to ____" It drives me crazy! I corrected him over and over when he was growing up, but I think he did it in defiance. Now he's an adult, so I think all hope is probably lost.

I can live with youse, yuns and those variations. They fill the same need in the language that y'all does. I think they're useful, if not totally correct.
Reply to: #934825 by Raven
Sep 14, 2016 7:58pm
Board
"Spitting Image" annoys me.
But mostly because we grew up saying "Spit & Image". Makes more sense, too.

Buuuuuuut... can't change people, places, or things. So, whutevz.
Sep 14, 2016 7:59pm
Board
When people type alot when it should be a lot. Allot means something else entirely...

I want to correct them.
And I have horrid spelling...

There, their, and they're is another.
Reply to: #934832 by FloridaFour
Sep 14, 2016 8:01pm
Board
Hey FF, my fiance says libary.

It was almost a no deal.
Reply to: #934834 by dingus dufus
Sep 14, 2016 8:02pm
Board
Owe, aye no its knot Fare!
Sew watt will yew dew?

Hay, if aloud, aisle whey inn. Wear on you're sighed and where hear to prays yew, knot two berry ewe. Eye scents yew sea their is a reel laps inn sum currant righting stiles witch has maid a feint tern four the wurst. Are whee rite? Ore pleas worn us weather weir father aweigh off bass & mist the hole point of yaw lessen.

Weight, eye can here ewe awl grown!

Aye mite bee up schist creak butt aye doe nut want to bee band from cite.

weigh whey two much thyme on my hands . . . . .

Is that Chaucer?
Reply to: #934832 by FloridaFour
Sep 14, 2016 8:24pm
Board
Im pretty sure I screw up nauseus and nauseated.

Nauseous is an adjective.Nauseated is a verb. Here's the usage.
Reply to: #934865 by Una Marlee Sue
Sep 14, 2016 8:35pm
Board
Most of my father's family is from West Virginia. I love them dearly, but sometimes I can't take it when they hold a conversation around me!!! Good grief.

Just pretend you've gone to another country and they're speaking another language. When in Rome....
Reply to: #934876 by DebBee
Sep 14, 2016 8:56pm
Board
I can live with youse, yuns and those variations. They fill the same need in the language that y'all does.

It's too bad that English has lost the familiar pronouns. They are so useful in other languages.
Reply to: #934884 by crosscresent
Sep 15, 2016 12:30am
Board
Oh I hope not
Sep 15, 2016 3:15am
Board
When did "way" become an acceptable substitution for "far" as in, "There are way to many grammar errors written and spoken by professional writers and speakers?"
I hear and see it in commercials and news on the radio, TV and newspapers.
Reply to: #934834 by dingus dufus
Sep 15, 2016 4:24am
Board
OMG, uh knew weigh two rite uhh clough.
Sep 15, 2016 5:11am
Board
One of my coworkers--with an English degree from a prestigious university--always says "it's a mute point." Everyone he's talking to just kinda looks down at their notepads. I've tried to use "moot" in conversations with him, but he doesn't pick up on it.
Reply to: #934886 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 15, 2016 6:05am
Board
HELP! I'm really confused now:

{{Definition: nauseous
If you’re nauseous, you feel queasy and sick to your stomach, and you might feel like vomiting. Could be the stomach flu or too much food before that roller-coaster ride.}}

This is how I always used it.
Reply to: #934941 by Topcollector
Sep 15, 2016 6:40am
Board
In American English, dictionary definitions are defined by usage. The more that new usages are used, the more likely it is that dictionaries will pick up on this and make that their definitions. That's why the definition of 'literally' is literally being changed to mean 'figuratively'.
Reply to: #934951 by crosscresent
Sep 15, 2016 7:24am
Board
Mike always says that he sat there and did something. Someone else sat there and did something. I'm kind of used to it now. But I'm always thinking he reminds me of a guest on Jerry Springer. He's going to sit there and go to the store. She sat there and yelled at him. He's going to sit there and go fishing. He's going to sit there and go to the kitchen.

I wish he would sit there and just sit there.

Buuuuuuuut.... can't change people, places, or things. Oh well.
Reply to: #934875 by DebBee
Sep 15, 2016 8:19am
Board
We always round to the nearest dollar, with the tip closest to 20%. My pet peeve is the new tabletop payment devices with the automatic tip calculator. I am capable of calculating percentages, and I refuse to tip the added tax. I realized the machine is programmed to include the tax before the tip is calculated when I used the tip slider bar. Sneaky B's.
Sep 15, 2016 1:10pm
Board
Irregardless. Not word.

In regards to. In *regard* to.

Salmon pronounced with the L not being silent. I corrected a co-worker once because it really makes someone sound ignorant and her response was "You're in the south now and that's how we say it." *smacks forehead* So I sent her a link to Webster's with the sound bite and told her to make sure to have her speakers on. She never said the word around me again.

People not using their fleebing signal lights.

People that run into you because they are too busy looking at their phone.

The 37th and 38th floors of my building. Those jerks will get on the elevator and pack in as many people as they can. Once a lady in front of me backed up so close that her hair was up against my face. ENOUGH! So the majority of the time, I'll use a different elevator bank and go up an additional floor and take the internal stairs so I don't have to deal with them.
Reply to: #934968 by thndrkttn
Sep 15, 2016 1:27pm
Board
Check another dictionary on salmon. I was raised with the silent l, but salm-on is absolutely acceptable.
Reply to: #934938 by Rocklun
Sep 15, 2016 1:39pm
Board
One of my coworkers--with an English degree from a prestigious university--always says "it's a mute point." Everyone he's talking to just kinda looks down at their notepads. I've tried to use "moot" in conversations with him, but he doesn't pick up on it.

Being he has such an impressive English degree maybe it's his own insider tongue-in-cheek way of saying, shut up. Perhaps, he really means "it's a mute (unspeakable) point" rather than "it's a moot point" which has different meanings depending on whether "moot" is used as a noun, verb or an adjective. Next time if the occasion arises why not beat him to the punch when the conversation goes down a rabbit trail and say, "It's both a mute and a moot point" and see if it generates some "Yakking It Up" laughter.
Reply to: #934970 by Frenchie
Sep 15, 2016 2:05pm
Board
maybe it's his own insider tongue-in-cheek way of saying, shut up. Perhaps, he really means "it's a mute (unspeakable) point" rather than "it's a moot point"

And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This is one of those cases.
Reply to: #934955 by speedsquare
Sep 15, 2016 4:17pm
Board
We don't have sales tax in Oregon, so I don't have to worry about that.

My hairdresser owns her own salon and I buy products from her. When she would run my debit card and then ask if I wanted to tip, I always tipped only on the haircut. I'm not going to tip on $40 of hair products.

KuKu
Reply to: #934968 by thndrkttn
Sep 15, 2016 4:58pm
Board
People not using their fleebing signal lights.

I just know you meant to say blinkers and just forgot, the sound being their most important function, after all. OH, oh! You reminded me about the directionally impaired: right-hand side (as opposed to the left-foot side), backwards (no s required), forwards (same). So many peeves, so little time. I know these are finesse things, but while we're on the subject. . .