Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: are lock n locks really all that?

Re: are lock n locks really all that?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #933830 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Aug 30, 2016 8:35am
Board
I don't think they do need a baggie and I often leave them out.
Aug 30, 2016 8:44am
Board
If a bear chews the box after a geocacher sticks a Slim Jim inside (that is, inside the box, not inside the bear), those extra baggies might protect the logbook. A little, anyway.
Reply to: #933833 by Fiddleheads
Aug 30, 2016 8:45am
Board
I don't think they do need a baggie and I often leave them out.

Going commando!
Aug 30, 2016 8:48am
Board
I get not wanting the logbook to get wet, but come on! Isn't this overkill especially if LnL are all that? ;)

I'm obsessive compulsive. I like that extra bit of safety for my logbooks.

LnL's are probably the best out there, but not 100% effective. Flaps do break off over time, dirt gets in the seal, plastic does get brittle over time.

Oh, and then there was that person who boxed in the rain, and left water drops in my LnL.
Aug 30, 2016 9:06am
Board
Yes. And a bag of chips.
Aug 30, 2016 9:15am
Board
Well, I like using baggies. Sometimes people don't put the covers on properly. I once came across an intact box that had damp leaves in it, even though it was closed. I have no idea why that happened. At least the baggie had no leaves in it. Also, even a lock n lock can get cracked if someone hides it under some pointy rocks.
Reply to: #933848 by Penfeather
Aug 30, 2016 9:23am
Board
I prefer duct taped baggies but they often do not hold up well particularly in the woods. Starting to rethink this practice if going into the woods. The are easily damaged and tend to be wet either from leaks or condensation. Of course if people don't reseal them it is the same as an open box. No solution for disrespectful boxers. However, a baggie does well in some areas when not on the ground or under rocks. Also like that they will fit in smaller hiding spots.

Just me two cents
Aug 30, 2016 9:51am
Board
I have come across Lock n Locks that have been broken (flaps broken) or holes in the side (I think from beating ants off). In those cases the baggie is just an extra precaution (like double bagging logbooks).
Aug 30, 2016 9:52am
Board
Yeah, I think 3 baggies is annoying. And they are usually 3 cheap baggies, too. One high quality bag for the stamp and logbook to share should be all that's necessary if you're using a good container and have planted in a reasonably dry location.
Aug 30, 2016 10:00am
Board
Had anyone else experienced leakage with new LnL boxes that have not even been planted yet?

I was considering going baggie-less on some upcoming plants, so I did some water testing on a couple of LnL boxes last night. These were brand new LnL, direct from LnL, with a few scraps of paper placed inside, not near the seals, and both test boxes leaked. After only 15 minutes immersed in a sink of water they had water inside and the paper scraps were wet. They were not filled with water, but enough that when I tipped it to empty a few drops came out. I have had wet LnL boxes in the woods before and have just chalked it up to poor closure, weather-worn seals or dirt/baggie corners compromising the seal, but now I am wondering about that.

I may need to rethink my dedication to LnL, especially considering the cost!
Reply to: #933852 by SpringChick
Aug 30, 2016 10:21am
Board
I may need to rethink my dedication to LnL, especially considering the cost!

They (overseas) don't make them like we (USA) used to make them. Vote for Trump. He's decided to have his brand of ties made in the USA =;)
Aug 30, 2016 10:31am
Board
I hear/read so much about Lock n Locks being all that and more

Not so much in the arid hot southwest. Those flaps break off after a season. We're better off with nut containers and my new favorite talenti gelato containers with screw on lids. Still need baggies though.
Reply to: #933854 by Frenchie
Aug 30, 2016 10:40am
Board
Just as I suspected.
Aug 30, 2016 10:51am
Board
I took my baggies out of the LNL because they took up so much space and people didn't close the lids properly and the boxes got soaked. I personally hate baggies, and if a box is too full with multiples of them, I will take them out. One is plenty.

The downside of LNL is in Florida, if I plant with not enough shade, the snaps break. But Tupperware has gotten wet for me. No perfect solution. People in Florida have taken to no logbooks, they have given up on trying to keep the boxes dry.
Reply to: #933850 by Topcollector
Aug 30, 2016 11:09am
Board
yes, I've heard of "double bagging." ;)
Reply to: #933856 by Wronghat
Aug 30, 2016 11:12am
Board
my new favorite talenti gelato containers with screw on lids.

And it's soooooo much fun creating those empty containers!

Yum!

KuKu
Aug 30, 2016 12:40pm
Board
I haven't used lock n locks yet, mostly because of cost. I have planted all mine in duck tape pouches, and one in an off-brand version of lock n lock that I got on sale at target. So far it has held up.
I have yet to find a lock n lock that didn't still have all the contents inside in baggies, and even still some of the logbooks were damp. I guess as long as all the baggies can fit in the container without creating the possibility that the container may not then be closed properly, then there is not harm in doubling up.
I've been trying to think of alternatives besides lock n locks or duck tape pouches. We did find a couple in pill bottles, which is an option, as long as they are up off the ground.
This may sound a little weird, but I was thinking of planting my next series in urine specimen cups (clean of course)...but I have an endless supply of them at work and since they pretty successfully hold liquid in, one would think that they will be good at keeping liquid out too, right? Also there are screw top pots that balms/ointments come in, and I was thinking when they are empty, I might clean them out and give that a try. I guess a bit off topic, but has anyone every tried any of those and had issues/success?
Reply to: #933852 by SpringChick
Aug 30, 2016 12:43pm
Board
I was considering going baggie-less on some upcoming plants, so I did some water testing on a couple of LnL boxes last night.

LOL, mom. Of course you did. I was giggling when I read this because I am picturing this process.
Double bag it!
Reply to: #933843 by crosscresent
Aug 30, 2016 12:51pm
Board
Ha! When I read the subject, my thought was, "Yes, they are all that plus a bag of chips."
Reply to: #933868 by MudPuddlers
Aug 30, 2016 12:56pm
Board
I've used the hard plastic specimen cups with white screw-on tops for planting and they have held up well and stayed dry. The size is a bit limiting and you need to use a soft logbook so it can bend around the inside. I used to get them at American Science and Surplus but they no longer carry the same ones, just a flimsy, pliable plastic cup. I've been trying to get some off a family member who works in a medical office.
Reply to: #933872 by SpringChick
Aug 30, 2016 1:04pm
Board
Did you see this thread that I started earlier this month: Thoughts on L&L quality?
Reply to: #933870 by MudPuddlers
Aug 30, 2016 1:05pm
Board
Oh, it was a comedy show... because they are full of air, they are bouyant. At first we couldn't find anything heavy enough to hold them underwater and they kept popping up... get one in place and the other would pop up. At one point it seemed like they were going to stay put and suddenly the box slipped out from under and literally shot up into the air and onto the countertop! Finally I just ended up holding them underwater for a while.
Reply to: #933872 by SpringChick
Aug 30, 2016 1:10pm
Board
I've used the hard plastic specimen cups with white screw-on tops for planting and they have held up well and stayed dry.

There is a local-to-me geocacher who has somewhere between 500-800 active geocaches...and he maintains them all. So he has a good idea of what lasts and stays dry vs what breaks and leaks. The specimen containers are his new favorite for holding up and staying dry.
Aug 30, 2016 1:25pm
Board
When I use LnLs (or other quality boxes with a good sealing strip), the plantings are often "commando"! ;oO

A baggie for the log book can be useful in case someone is careless and allows trail debris to compromise the seal. Yes, they are "really all that", but a slug infested hard-to-seal camo pouch runs a close second!

Pete
Aug 30, 2016 1:30pm
Board
Better safe than sorry. There's always that boxer who is in such a hurry to get to the next box that they don't take the time to close the container properly.

You've been boxing for a long time. What do you use for containers?

Generally speaking, just better safe than sorry. When I'm boxing I have no problem with opening two bags, one for the stamp and one for the logbook. I appreciate the effort.

MM
Reply to: #933868 by MudPuddlers
Aug 30, 2016 1:48pm
Board
I guess a bit off topic, but has anyone every tried any of those and had issues/success?

Following some advice from Kirbert about using shower pan liner, I just made a "box" out of a plastic jar that held pectin and planted it last week. The size was good and I will check next summer to see how it held up. If I had been less in a hurry I would have given it a water test. I am trusting Kirbert! I keep little plastic jars now to use just for such purposes.
Reply to: #933856 by Wronghat
Aug 30, 2016 1:55pm
Board
and my new favorite talenti gelato containers with screw on lids.

Talenti containers are my cache/box of choice! Roomy (HH'er friendly) Fairly secure when it comes to rain & ants. I wrap the sides with camo-duct tape & we're good to box ;)
Aug 30, 2016 2:02pm
Board
One reason for the baggies is to protect them from each other. The stamp often has residual ink on it, and keeping it off the log book is just nice.

There's also the benefit of experience. Even if the container never leaks and remains dry forever, baggied contents just seem to remain cleaner and newer-looking. This is a lesson I learned from geocaching; if I drop off any swag in a geocache, it's in its own baggie.

It is true, however, that in some cases the baggie can do more harm than good. This is especially the case in tightly-packed containers where a baggie is only too likely to get caught in the seal of the container. I personally don't pack containers that tight as a matter of principle, but some people feel that hiding any container larger than a deck of cards is simply impossible and steadfastly refuse to use the larger L&L's.
Reply to: #933882 by Evermore
Aug 30, 2016 2:04pm
Board
just made a "box" out of a plastic jar that held pectin

Good call.. I think I may have the same plastic screw top jar that is almost out of pectin after my recent batch of jam!
Reply to: #933836 by Rocklun
Aug 30, 2016 2:04pm
Board
If the bear could smell the Slim Jim, the container wasn't sealed all that well anyway.