A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Lock n Locks and Pouches

Re: Lock n Locks and Pouches
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #933786 by Kirbert
Aug 30, 2016 12:22am
Board
There are more options other than just L&L's vs. pouches, y'know.

Are we talking Skippy or Jiff?
Reply to: #933786 by Kirbert
Aug 30, 2016 5:55am
Board
Haha. Yes, I do know that. LNLs have been the best for me for duration. If you can suggest another, easy to find and not expensive, option, then I am.certainly open to suggestions. :-)
Reply to: #933750 by RDHG
Aug 30, 2016 5:58am
Board
Thank you all. I will look at those options.

I do have some from the Dollar Tree that we spray painted. They will serve us for some of the boxes. Thank you again!
Reply to: #933750 by RDHG
Aug 30, 2016 7:17am
Board
If you have a local large Asian market, check there. I've found large quantities and good deals in the past.
Reply to: #933819 by RDHG
Aug 30, 2016 1:55pm
Board
Obviously, my suggestion is a largemouth screw-top jar (Planters nuts, Jiffy peanut butter, whatever) with a shower pan liner gasket. The jars are free, the shower pan liner will cost you a few bucks for a piece large enough to do a couple of dozen containers -- unless you can talk a guy at Lowe's or Home Depot into giving you a scrap piece for free.

L&L's are not perfect; they have the one shortcoming that it's possible to snap the lid on upside-down, and amazingly enough some finders are apparently that stupid. Screw-top jars with shower pan liner gaskets also have a couple of shortcomings, namely a) sometimes the gasket falls out of the lid and the finder is baffled about what to do about that; and b) some finders apparently have enough grip strength to open the jar but cannot muster enough effort to close it securely. Oh, and c) sometimes they will distort if painted black and left in full sunlight. Otherwise, though, my experience with the screw-top jars has been nearly as good as L&L's -- and far better than Dollar Tree containers or numerous other containers. And the Planters cashew jars I favor have enough room inside for a HH or two, FF prizes, etc.

There's also the duplex container. Find two matching screw-top jars, like the small mayo jars or something about that size. Put the lids top-to-top and wrap a couple of layers of tape around them to bind them together. Screw the jars to the lids forming a long cylindrical container with a compartment for the stamp in one end and a compartment for the log in the other. Two small shower pan liner gaskets are needed instead of one large. I don't use many of those, but when the hiding spot is a tight crevice or something it might be just the ticket.