A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Experienced boxers?

Re: Experienced boxers?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #933134 by Rocklun
Aug 23, 2016 9:04am
Board
The "bonus box" we just found was the box we had found only 15 minutes earlier. D'oh!

Ok I'll ask, is it one find or two? ;-)

Larry
Reply to: #933383 by Lundy and Vickster
Aug 23, 2016 9:47am
Board
Well, we did find it twice, Larry... ;^)
Reply to: #933134 by Rocklun
Aug 23, 2016 10:29am
Board
Sometimes I help out Open Space when she is planting for events. For one event, we spent the day hiding boxes, then camped. The next day we went back out to tackle the rest. As we were walking on the trails, she pointed to a letterbox, clearly visible from the trail. Oops. I said, "Wow. I wonder whose box that is." She just stared at me and then started laughing, because of course, it was a box we had planted together just the day before, not realizing it could be seen from an adjacent trail.

Flash forward to the event. I'm out boxing with friends who are looking for boxes, some of which were planted by Open Space and yours truly. Every time we had difficulty, they would ask me to interpret the clues. "Um. I dunno. Let me see." "Wait a minute. Weren't you with her when this was planted?" "You'd be surprised how little difference that actually makes. My job is to carry rocks, look for scat & bones, and natter incessantly."
Reply to: #933385 by Rocklun
Aug 23, 2016 1:45pm
Board
You could, in fact, log two finds on it. AQ would only count one, but it'd still be pretty funny to see two find logs from the same person on the same day!
Reply to: #933386 by Wry Me
Aug 23, 2016 1:51pm
Board
...it was a box we had planted together just the day before, not realizing it could be seen from an adjacent trail.

This is more likely than you'd think. Land managers like to cram as many miles of walking trails into their lands as possible, so they often wind back and forth just barely out of sight of one another. In fact, this is one of the main things that land managers hate about geocaches; because there are no instructions how to get to a geocache, just a pointer on a device saying it's thataway, they're afraid that cachers will tromp straight off the trail to a cache and accidentally end up creating "social trails" that are shortcuts between loops of the walking trails they've carefully laid out.

We are better at avoiding this because letterboxes do tell you how to get to a box, no shortcuts. But we still must be careful to plant such that boxes cannot be seen from any angle, not just from the trail, especially in parks where the land managers have carefully mapped out the trails.
Reply to: #933386 by Wry Me
Sep 19, 2016 5:22pm
Board
I do love that story! :-)