A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Experienced boxers?

Re: Experienced boxers?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #933134 by Rocklun
Aug 18, 2016 3:06pm
Board
When I rehid the box and stood up, a light bulb went off as I looked at our surroundings. The "bonus box" we just found was the box we had found only 15 minutes earlier. D'oh!!

“Your Honor, let the record show that the witness made the drinky-drinky motion"
Reply to: #933135 by Rocklun
Aug 18, 2016 3:18pm
Board
This is why Teacup and my motto is

"What happens in the Team Mudcup Mobile STAYS in the Team Mudcup Mobile." Oh, the stories.... ;)
Aug 18, 2016 3:27pm
Board
The point of this story is to let newer boxers know that even relatively experienced boxers make really silly mistakes frequently sometimes!! :^)

Yup, that we do!

When I do something dumb I always say "What happens on the trail stays on the trail". LOL!!!
Reply to: #933143 by mudflinginfools
Aug 18, 2016 3:30pm
Board
Lol! That's the smart thing to do, Mud! Southpaw and I feel that the best way we can contribute to the letterboxing community is to make every one else feel better about their own mistakes, since their mistakes probably aren't as goofy as ours! ;^)
Aug 18, 2016 3:57pm
Board
a light bulb went off as I looked at our surroundings. The "bonus box" we just found was the box we had found only 15 minutes earlier. D'oh!!

HAHAHAHA!! That wins "funniest letterboxing story I've heard"!!!

I admit to doing even dumber things . . . but they weren't nearly as funny, and not all of them ended well.
Aug 18, 2016 4:13pm
Board
Oh I have done the same thing...going on about planters that don't know north from south etc when the box isn't there and then seeing that all important piece of clue that you didn't notice before LOL!!
Aug 18, 2016 4:23pm
Board
This is just like AA Milne's story of Tigger and Roo [or was it Pooh?] searching for Heffalumps! They follow their own footprints.
Reply to: #933147 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 18, 2016 4:27pm
Board
HAHAHAHA!! That wins "funniest letterboxing story I've heard"!!!

You know what's sad, WW? The only thing in my story that wasn't quite accurate was how long it took before I read the compass bearing correctly. It was actually more like 20 minutes, but I was trying to make us look a little less pathetic!
Aug 18, 2016 5:23pm
Board
you have made my day!
i don't feel so bad about being on the wrong trail, right city wrong trail. how was i supposed to know there was 2 addresses. i suppose i could have read the clues more carefully?
so now......... after reading your tale i have decided i can still call myself a letterboxer!
smile
Reply to: #933140 by christmas6
Aug 18, 2016 6:44pm
Board
We have some boxes here that use 2:1. I was really confused until I saw that all of her clues used that and figured out what it meant.
Aug 18, 2016 10:05pm
Board
a light bulb went off

Isn't it interesting how a light bulb "going on" and "going off" mean the same thing?
Aug 23, 2016 6:27am
Board
omg, that is wicked funny! Thanks for sharing the laugh....
Aug 23, 2016 9:04am
Board
The "bonus box" we just found was the box we had found only 15 minutes earlier. D'oh!

Ok I'll ask, is it one find or two? ;-)

Larry
Reply to: #933383 by Lundy and Vickster
Aug 23, 2016 9:47am
Board
Well, we did find it twice, Larry... ;^)
Aug 23, 2016 10:29am
Board
Sometimes I help out Open Space when she is planting for events. For one event, we spent the day hiding boxes, then camped. The next day we went back out to tackle the rest. As we were walking on the trails, she pointed to a letterbox, clearly visible from the trail. Oops. I said, "Wow. I wonder whose box that is." She just stared at me and then started laughing, because of course, it was a box we had planted together just the day before, not realizing it could be seen from an adjacent trail.

Flash forward to the event. I'm out boxing with friends who are looking for boxes, some of which were planted by Open Space and yours truly. Every time we had difficulty, they would ask me to interpret the clues. "Um. I dunno. Let me see." "Wait a minute. Weren't you with her when this was planted?" "You'd be surprised how little difference that actually makes. My job is to carry rocks, look for scat & bones, and natter incessantly."
Reply to: #933385 by Rocklun
Aug 23, 2016 1:45pm
Board
You could, in fact, log two finds on it. AQ would only count one, but it'd still be pretty funny to see two find logs from the same person on the same day!
Reply to: #933386 by Wry Me
Aug 23, 2016 1:51pm
Board
...it was a box we had planted together just the day before, not realizing it could be seen from an adjacent trail.

This is more likely than you'd think. Land managers like to cram as many miles of walking trails into their lands as possible, so they often wind back and forth just barely out of sight of one another. In fact, this is one of the main things that land managers hate about geocaches; because there are no instructions how to get to a geocache, just a pointer on a device saying it's thataway, they're afraid that cachers will tromp straight off the trail to a cache and accidentally end up creating "social trails" that are shortcuts between loops of the walking trails they've carefully laid out.

We are better at avoiding this because letterboxes do tell you how to get to a box, no shortcuts. But we still must be careful to plant such that boxes cannot be seen from any angle, not just from the trail, especially in parks where the land managers have carefully mapped out the trails.
Reply to: #933386 by Wry Me
Sep 19, 2016 5:22pm
Board
I do love that story! :-)