About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Gotta Catch 'Em All!
Board: Games People Play
Jul 12, 2016 5:28pm
Board
SO, we've been obsessed with playing this today...and not only is it SUPER convenient to use as an excuse if questioned by muggles, but it also takes you to some new locations that you might not have known about! Plus, sometimes, if you're lucky...you just might find a new Pokemon near a letterbox...you know, just guarding it and stuff. :)
Re: Gotta Catch 'Em All!
Reply to: #930935 by The Lost Boys
Jul 12, 2016 6:01pm
Board
I had to remove the app from my phone. One obsess...er, "hobby that takes up a lot of time" is enough!
Reply to: #930937 by Rocklun
Jul 12, 2016 6:03pm
Board
Thank goodness for being able to put discussions on ignore.......click.....
Jul 12, 2016 9:39pm
Board
I had my app up some today while traveling and found handfuls of stops that should have had boxes at them, but nothing at all near by! Made me wish we weren't traveling through and that we could seed the area for other passers by.
Jul 13, 2016 5:06am
Board
my sons friend caught a Pikachu in our yard. of course all the neighborhood kids flipped out!
we've found a ton in our house and yard. the kids love this activity, so similar to letterboxing/geocaching.
Jul 13, 2016 5:12am
Board
I was walking my dog to the park today and there were a surprisingly large number of kids and adults out and about (normally Buddy and I are the only ones in the park in the morning) staring at their phones going places in a hurry. I asked if they were killing Pokemon and to the person they said they were merely catching them. Later my granddaughter came to my house and "volunteered" to take Buddy for a walk - this is so not like her - I asked her if she had Pokemon Go on her phone and she was surprised I knew what this was all about.

So I decided to join the crowd and download the app too. But - my Samsung 5s mini is incompatible with the app. So I guess I'll have to wait till the app catches up with me.
Reply to: #930938 by MissMoon
Jul 13, 2016 5:36am
Board
Thank goodness for being able to put discussions on ignore.......click.....

You do realise that you can ignore a thread without announcing that fact, don't you? Just sayin'. Yeah, I get that that wasn't the point.

My take, while I'll never play the game myself (I don't even have a smartphone) -- in a world with so many negatives, and so many Debbie Downers, it is nice to see something so massively positive that so many people enjoy.

It was just so cool being at a park yesterday watching so many people enjoying themselves and the outdoors.

My only regret is that I didn't think of it myself, and believe me, I've tried. Alt/aug reality has finally arrived in a big way, embrace it :)
Reply to: #930972 by Sir Braemoor
Jul 13, 2016 5:42am
Board
I told my husband, that I wish we would've bought Nintendo stock a few weeks ago :)
Jul 13, 2016 6:16am
Board
it is nice to see something so massively positive that so many people enjoy.

Exactly! Many of these people would probably be sitting inside playing video games or messing around on the computer during summer break, but instead they are outside, getting a bit of exercise, talking to other people, enjoying nature, learning a bit about their surroundings (I love that they have Pokestops and gyms at monuments and historical sites, etc.)... and most of all, having fun doing it! There is a Pokestop across the street from my house (historical church), and it has really been fun watching all of the activity the past few days... who even knew there were so many teenagers in the area?
Reply to: #930976 by SpringChick
Jul 13, 2016 6:30am
Board
I love that they have Pokestops and gyms at monuments and historical sites, etc.

Niantic imported the sites they use for Ingress into Pokemon GO. Most are good places to go, but I've read online (where I read about them using the same database) about some unsavory locations they're sending people. Local news showed a poke-stop in the middle of a busy street and another on railroad tracks. I assume that they will filter these out as time goes by.
Jul 13, 2016 6:31am
Board
Just what we need. Another thing to have kids attached to their phones for. Yes, it may get them outside but .....
Reply to: #930981 by turkey feathers
Jul 13, 2016 6:43am
Board
They are exercising and getting sunlight AND SOCIALIZING. All good things some of them weren't doing before.

My girls and I are playing and it's fun. Teaching them to do it safely and pay attention to their surroundings is good too.
Reply to: #930979 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 13, 2016 6:49am
Board
The unsavory places is what scares me.

My eye doctor said they're putting in 8 Pokémon this weekend. Sounds fun to go to an eye doctor... lol. Not.

I just worry that it seems there's no moderation in where things can go, like in geocaching. It is fine for adults who can figure out where a good or bad place is, but I worry about young teens out by themselves, making bad decisions.

And I'm shocked my kids haven't been interested yet. My daughter loves Pokémon and has a huge collection of 10 year old cards in binders, that my son lost interest in. They both heard about the robberies, and they worry about that.
Jul 13, 2016 6:54am
Board
My brother has worked in the game industry for 20+ years. Everyone is kicking their butts that they didn't come up with the idea first.
Jul 13, 2016 7:06am
Board
In Portland, OR, a couple of young adults found a loaded gun at a Pokemon site. Fortunately, they had the good sense to call local authorities. Newscasters commented that they were glad younger children didn't come across it. It was the first I have heard of this game. Sounds like fun, but LB is enough for me.
Jul 13, 2016 7:17am
Board
It has finally happened! You can see it everywhere!!! ................ The Zombie Apocalypse has begun!!!!!! ;oO
Jul 13, 2016 7:23am
Board
They are exercising and getting sunlight AND SOCIALIZING. All good things some of them weren't doing before.

My girls and I are playing and it's fun. Teaching them to do it safely and pay attention to their surroundings is good too.
Jul 13, 2016 7:30am
Board
Just what we need. Another thing to have kids attached to their phones for. Yes, it may get them outside but .....

But what? It's just a different game console/platform. Kids have been eyeball deep into their Gameboys since the 80s. Myself included.

Not every kid is a hyper outdoorsy kid. I wasn't really interested in the great outdoors beyond the beach until I was 19. So yes, if it gets more inside kids out for even a little walk with Mom or to take the dog around the block, that's fantastic.

It's a cute idea, a huge money generating idea, and at least around here I see families playing it. Mom, Dad, and the kids. Hell, my mother plays it, or at least attempts to.

It'll die down eventually and everyone can move on to bemoaning this generation's youth for whatever the next latest and greatest craze is.

Now, excuse me. I think I need to rid my office of this Rattata infestation. Why can't it be an infestation of Eevees? I need more Eevee candy to evolve these little buggers.
Reply to: #930985 by marrtians
Jul 13, 2016 8:19am
Board

Moth just told me that there are close-up and faraway "gang signs" for each of the three teams. I advised her not to use them if she encounters other people when she's trying to get her gym back from the "three little punks" who "stole" it from her. Sigh...
Jul 13, 2016 8:26am
Board
Local news showed a poke-stop in the middle of a busy street and another on railroad tracks. I assume that they will filter these out as time goes by.

You don't have to be right "on top" of a poke-stop to get the goodies. There is a good radius. As we were driving around (to do other things), I was able to grab the items from poke-stops placed on street corners from the car as we were stopped at the intersection.
Reply to: #930992 by DM Scuba Brat
Jul 13, 2016 8:44am
Board
and at least around here I see families playing it. Mom, Dad, and the kids.

Same here. It's been wonderful seeing pre-teens walking around with their parents, and people interacting with each other face to face.
=====
Personally, I like the walking (and collecting) aspect of the game. It's a motivational tool to get me walking around my neighborhood and other places close by so I can hatch those eggs. Yep, gotta walk 5 km to hatch that egg!

~J (downside: if I'm walking, I'm not carving....)
Reply to: #930987 by FloridaFour
Jul 13, 2016 9:14am
Board
The doctor is probably putting them in the office so the patients (kids and adults) have something fun to do while waiting

Jaxx
Jul 13, 2016 9:19am
Board
Whew! Just when I was gettin' worried my kids weren't on their smart phones enough.
Reply to: #930988 by Rocklun
Jul 13, 2016 11:41am
Board
I presume that means there will be knockoffs soon?
Jul 13, 2016 11:45am
Board
Well, I tried to start a Pokémon GO thread on the Geocaching and Other Games board but it went nowhere, whereas this one -- on a board it clearly doesn't belong on -- is going great guns. Ryan, you can close down 90% of the boards on AQ, everything can get discussed on Letterbox Chatter.
Reply to: #931001 by dingus dufus
Jul 13, 2016 4:38pm
Board
I keep seeing people out and about when normaly there is not a single soul. I think it's awesome that people are getting out. I'm a bit sad since I don't have a smart phone so I can't play too but really a great deal of these people would just be inside on their phones or whatever else, this way they are outside.
Reply to: #930938 by MissMoon
Jul 13, 2016 5:48pm
Board
Why respond at all, if not for attention?...CLICK
Reply to: #931012 by Kirbert
Jul 13, 2016 5:59pm
Board
Don't throw shade, Kirbert. It was my intention to promote the benefits of using Pokemon Go to inspire letterboxing...hence, mentioning said benefits on my original post....*sips tea*
Jul 13, 2016 7:37pm
Board
Sent this message via smoke signals, did ya?
Reply to: #930988 by Rocklun
Jul 13, 2016 10:07pm
Board
My brother has worked in the game industry for 20+ years. Everyone is kicking their butts that they didn't come up with the idea first.

Don't worry. They're all now thinking up ideas to do something similar. Most will die quickly, but some others will catch on too, but not as well as Pokemon GO. One MAY exceed it eventually, but won't rise as quickly. There may even be one that you (every one of you) will be interested in.