A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Durn Geocachers!

Re: Durn Geocachers!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #930156 by Kirbert
Jul 4, 2016 6:53am
Board
I once found a geocache that was clearly labelled that it was NOT a bomb. That's helpful, doncha think?

LOL :)

It is amazing that this placement got past the vetting process on geocaching.com. If you are going to waste everyone's time with reviewing placements, shouldn't the review at least catch stuff like this? (Tho I do not know when they started vetting; perhaps this cache was placed before then).

Based on the article, I am somewhat certain this is the cache, for those who are curious. Placed 8/24/13, with 79 log entries. Not one of those people thought this was idiotic? Surprisingly, the cache is still active.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4KR8H_pizza-night

(If this is not the cache in the article, this cache is idiotically placed just the same).

As for the geocaching world, I hope they talk about this topic too.

Yeah, maybe I'll post a link to the article in the cache log, and maybe on the forum. You would think they would add "near a military base", or "common sense" to their review process guidelines.

We should remember to do the same. Remember, that it is a 97% chance the object will be a geocache, just based on sheer numbers. There are idiots in both hobbies. After 100 incidents, and least one idiot will be a letterboxer (95% chance actually), After 20 incidents, 46% chance the idiot is a letterboxer on at least one of the incidents.

All we can do is to try to police our fellow letterboxes.

Yeah, don't let 79 finders go by before bringing this up and causing the police to lock down an area. One place rules are needed to keep the hobbies from getting a black eye, as "don't be stupid" apparently is not 100%.
Reply to: #930168 by Sir Braemoor
Jul 4, 2016 8:03am
Board
One place rules are needed to keep the hobbies from getting a black eye, as "don't be stupid"

It's always difficult to legislate out "stupid"!

By making everything "fool proof", the herd doesn't cull itself enough via Darwin Awards as nature intended.

We'll all be drinking Brawndo soon.
Reply to: #930180 by dingus dufus
Jul 4, 2016 9:13am
Board
But Brawndo has what Letterboxers crave. It's got electrolytes!