A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Are we supposed to mark boxes that we can't find as a strike

Re: Are we supposed to mark boxes that we can't find as a strike
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #929583 by SpringChick
Jun 28, 2016 10:10am
Board
The current way of doing things is actually a far cry from the early days. Back then, we printed up clues and went hiking (usually not just a drive to the local rest area)... generally we had no idea who had last found the box, when the box had last been found, or if there had been any attempts where the box was not found -- we logged our finds in our logbooks and logbooks were private. Some were there, some were not. Either way, it was all in a day of letterboxing... for me personally, there was always joy in finding a box, but I can't say there was lack of joy in not finding a box... still an enjoyable walk in the woods, and a bit of mind exercise.

I spent a few winters reading every post (and there are a lot) of the first 4-5 years to try and capture the feeling of the early days of boxing and understand and appreciate the development of North American boxing (and not talk out my rear end about boxing so much). It was very interesting and I highly recommend it to all 2nd-5th wave boxers out there. Folks back in the day were literally waiting for a letterbox to be planted in their area( though they'd take a lot of long road trips for a single box) so they'd have a box to find that weekend. Boxers often posted about their weekend with details about the journey and finds. Just amazing personal interactions between the first rag tag bunch of letterboxing pioneers.

Just now I'm thinking that is why I enjoy finding and making mystery boxes. In a way it recreates that atmosphere of the first few years where you are planting boxes for other like-minded letterboxers and can be happy with a handful of finders & finds.
Reply to: #929646 by dingus dufus
Jun 28, 2016 1:19pm
Board
Yes, dingus, you are right. The earliest version of our clues was posting them on the talk list. The earliest version of our finds was posting a sit-rep for each box we found. Ah, the good old days.

Warrior Woman
first find 2000, first plant 2001
Reply to: #929563 by Jean Paul Sartre
Jun 29, 2016 7:02pm
Board
OK, now you've got me singing the Python philosopher's drinking song...
Reply to: #929658 by Warrior Woman
Jun 30, 2016 3:50am
Board
Ah, the sit-rep... I kind of miss those. Not only the report on the box, but they could be so amusing and it gave you a glimpse into the personality of other boxers that you just don't get with a find in an online logbook.
Reply to: #929532 by Rocklun
Jun 30, 2016 8:42am
Board
Or directly behind an active shooting range (seriously). Time to retire that puppy!!!

I have one near a shooting range. The box is just a few feet off of a well-used trail and there's a nice bench for stamping. And the people should be shooting in the other direction!
Reply to: #929816 by RideTheMoose
Jun 30, 2016 8:48am
Board
And the people should be shooting in the other direction!

Not in this case, unfortunately! People were shooting when we were there. It wasn't worth getting killed.
Reply to: #929817 by Rocklun
Jun 30, 2016 8:54am
Board
People were shooting when we were there. It wasn't worth getting killed.

Ahhhh. must have been a store-bought stamp, then.
Reply to: #929532 by Rocklun
Jun 30, 2016 9:32am
Board
Years ago, I was on my way to a letterboxing event and was stopping along the way to get a few boxes by myself.

For one box, I went down a little road, parked in a parking area and went up a steep trail -- only for about 75 feet to the box. I found the box just as I heard shooting!

Normally, I put a note in the box book and make a note in my logbook but I was freaked. I logged that puppy as quickly as possible and went down the trail enough to see my car was still there and nobody could be seen.

With my head swiveling every which way, I stumbled down the hill to my car -- only to realize that the fence at one side had sign for the shooting range!

I hadn't noticed it before. There was no way I was in gun range.

I just laughed at myself and noted the experience in my logbook.

I'm such a KuKu sometimes.

KuKu
Reply to: #929818 by wassamatta u
Jun 30, 2016 10:00am
Board
Ahhhh. must have been a store-bought stamp, then.

Lol! Nope, and it was an old box, so at least one of us (the dumber one*) did consider going after it.

*me
Reply to: #929824 by KuKu
Jun 30, 2016 12:13pm
Board
Here in FL, a gun range is typically backed up by a huge mound of dirt. The only way you'd get shot is if you wander in between the shooter and his target -- and hopefully he'll see you.

Things are different where my brother lives in Texas. There is no dirt to speak of, everything is rock. Bullets hit rock and ricochet every whichaway. He says there's noplace around where he can practice his long-range sharpshooting because the bullet goes 1000 yards to the target, hits a rock, and goes another 500 yards off some other way, and nobody's willing to have that stuff going on in their neighborhood.

The biggest shooting competition in the US is held every year at Camp Perry, which is in Ohio on the shoreline of Lake Erie. In preparation for the events -- which include sharpshooting at ranges up to 1200 yards -- the authorities clear all the boat traffic out of the Lake Erie for a radius of 25 miles. If anyone misses a target by more than 10 yards they should go home in shame, but they're just being careful, folks.
Reply to: #929851 by Kirbert
Jul 1, 2016 1:42pm
Board
Funny you should mention Camp Perry. My son just got back from the CMP Nationals there last night. Only something like the top 30 teams qualify. You can watch the targets in real time online. It's pretty state-of-the-art and exciting, though it was somewhat lacking in gratifying sound effects. Pyew! Pyew! Their targets are mere inches across and indoors, so no chance of popping someone on the lake. Every holiday, however, some numbnuts kills a toddler here firing into the air. Never underestimate the potential stupidity of an armed humanoid. Many of them can't even drive! And they all appear to be having some kind of reunion in front if ME!

Can you tell I'm out shopping in Houston on a Saturday?
Reply to: #929929 by Wry Me
Jul 1, 2016 7:04pm
Board
OMG! I just realized it's FRIDAY! The universe gave me an extra day!
Reply to: #929951 by Wry Me
Jul 2, 2016 3:16am
Board
I love when that happens! :^)