A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Opinion: Old & Unpopular Box

Re: Opinion: Old & Unpopular Box
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #926503 by RideTheMoose
May 17, 2016 10:12am
Board
I try to have something special, such as a clever clue, intricate carve, or neat location.

I put a pile of old silver coins in my last box. I can't even pay people to find mine :) (not entirely true, as some people are trying).

In any case, in my backward view of the world, rarely found boxes are way cooler than frequently found ones.

So, excuse my ignorance if this was mentioned, but can you give a link to this box? (Don't bother if it has restrictions).
Reply to: #926505 by Sir Braemoor
May 17, 2016 10:27am
Board
I can't even pay people to find mine :) (not entirely true, as some people are trying)

I think after adding up the man/women hours, it'll be third world wages - though for a feather in the cap of the first order.

Hopefully folks will someday have that Carter's reply to Carnarvon moment!

(P.S. I am doing the lightest lifting in our group's efforts)
Reply to: #926433 by RideTheMoose
May 18, 2016 1:20am
Board
It took 3 years for lig to find my letterbox in the Philippines. Before that, I had one attempt, who said it was missing, but it was by a person who was not a letterboxer, so I hoped they just didn't know what they were doing. They didn't. The box was there. For 3 years, it remained in a very public spot and probably thousands of people passed by it. So it was a great joy to me when lig found it. Lig was also the first of just a few people to find all 3 letterboxes on my kayak accessible series. Some people like these out of the way boxes.

So definitely fix up your clues. Maybe post an update that the box has been maintained, so people won't think it just went missing. I personally love finding boxes that are rarely found. It does help to have 2 or 3 others nearby. That way, if one goes missing, at least your trip out there results in a few finds. Hopefully the location is also interesting, so it's worth it no matter what.
May 18, 2016 5:21pm
Board
I put a pile of old silver coins in my last box. I can't even pay people to find mine :) (not entirely true, as some people are trying).

In any case, in my backward view of the world, rarely found boxes are way cooler than frequently found ones.

We're trying! Enjoying the process immensely, though it may still be a little while before we find anything. I wholeheartedly agree that rarely found boxes, especially those that are rarely found because they're insidiously clever, are so much rewarding for those who do eventually find them.
May 19, 2016 6:34am
Board
can you give a link to this box?

Here it is in its unedited glory!

http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=63991
Reply to: #926592 by RideTheMoose
May 19, 2016 7:00am
Board
You have lots of cool clue sets! On this one, the planter could legitimately log it as a find after the right cocktail ;)

Keep the Owl in play!
Reply to: #926597 by dingus dufus
May 19, 2016 8:13am
Board
On this one, the planter could legitimately log it as a find after the right cocktail ;) Keep the Owl in play!

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster
Reply to: #926433 by RideTheMoose
May 19, 2016 4:54pm
Board
Keep it. Improve clues and appeal. Plant another one or two or three in the general area to attract for multiple finds. What would you want as a LBs?
Reply to: #926503 by RideTheMoose
Mar 11, 2017 6:37pm
Board
Update on this box -- I replanted it, cleaned up the clues, and planted a Maine Pine Cone Project box on the same trail. About a month ago a find was logged here on AQ! The box lives!