Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Replacement stamp: Is that a found or attempt?

Re: Replacement stamp: Is that a found or attempt?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #925487 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 29, 2016 10:02am
Board
"Ghost box" if it has no stamp. It's dead, but the essence lingers.
"Zombie box" if it has an unauthorized stamp, making it come back to life, but without a soul.

Funny yet a great idea! Adding these icons in with Drive-by, Dog Friendly, Hand-Carved, etc. would be a good way of allowing letterboxers to make a decision if a box is right for them.
Reply to: #925486 by Rocklun
Apr 29, 2016 10:12am
Board
An online comment would have prevented nearby squirrels and chickadees from hearing some really bad words.

Though you have helped yonder camping Girl Scouts to earn their Foul Language merit badges ;)
Reply to: #925495 by Rocklun
Apr 29, 2016 10:16am
Board
I have an aversion to those jumping frog and smiley face stamps.

What would you think if someone were to carve a replica of a store-bought stamp?
Reply to: #925508 by dingus dufus
Apr 29, 2016 11:56am
Board
Though you have helped yonder camping Girl Scouts to earn their Foul Language merit badges ;)

I helped my GS troop earn that badge after I stepped on a hornet nest during a night hike and got stung 7 times. They heard a bad word every time I got stung. I feel that repetition is key to learning.
Reply to: #925478 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 29, 2016 1:21pm
Board
Your motivation for playing the game answers the question. Everyone's motivation could be different, so everyone's answer could be different.

I decided to count the find while I was out there, after sitting there for a moment or two pondering. I FELT like I found the box. Well, sort of. This particular box was a pretty good hike, so I needed the reward. At the same time, the original stamp, although store-bought, was a big, beautiful detailed stamp that fit the theme of the box and of the park perfectly. So I took a photo of it with the idea of printing it out and gluing it into my logbook next to the replacement stamp. I've done that before when I forgot my entire backpack and couldn't stamp in. But it sort of leads me to the question of if there was no stamp, but there's an image of a stamp I can photo and glue into my logbook, would I count that? I really don't know.

I would not want anyone to replace my stamp like that without permission. My boxes usually are themed to the location and I put a lot of thought into the stamp design. I wouldn't want someone to open up the box and find a random stamp that has no relationship to what I hid, and think that I put that there. EDIT: If they put the stamp in a baggie clearly marked "this is not the original stamp" and noted this comments, I guess I wouldn't care. I'd actually prefer that the entire box was removed so I can retire it and not worry about retrieving the litter.
Reply to: #925487 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 29, 2016 3:28pm
Board
"Zombie box" ain't quite right. What's a good word for someone who's dead and their body has been occupied by an alien or something?
Reply to: #925497 by crosscresent
Apr 29, 2016 3:31pm
Board
Aaaargh! At one time there were a bunch of boxes hidden around the Corvette Museum, but all but a couple had reportedly gone missing. So someone asked me to carve a few, and I did, and they got planted there. Then that sinkhole happened, but fortunately apparently my stamps survived. I hope it's not one of mine that's been replaced with something squiggly.
Reply to: #925534 by Kirbert
Apr 29, 2016 3:45pm
Board
"Zombie box" ain't quite right.

What about a doppelganger?
Apr 29, 2016 4:45pm
Board
Fortunately for you, I watched Lost Girl last night and the fae in this episode was a dead body jumper (occupies dead bodies and walks around in them). The correct term for this type of fae is 'Hsien'.

Warrior Woman
ever helpful
Apr 29, 2016 4:46pm
Board
"Zombie box" ain't quite right. What's a good word for someone who's dead and their body has been occupied by an alien or something?

I'm kind of thinking Frankenstein or Robocop, but I don't know...
Reply to: #925509 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 29, 2016 4:46pm
Board
What would you think if someone were to carve a replica of a store-bought stamp?

Don't even go there!!
Reply to: #925541 by Rocklun
Apr 29, 2016 4:53pm
Board
Carving a replica of a store-bought stamp can't be all bad. The Great Green One took on my store bought sig stamp as a carving challenge and sent it to me - and I'm still using it to this day.
Reply to: #925535 by Kirbert
Apr 30, 2016 7:04pm
Board
Kirbert-
It was the boxes that were actually planted by the museum that does not have your name or Road Junkies' attached to it. I think the name of it was National Corvette Museum.

NCM: Hall of Fame
&
NCM: Rocking Out to the Little Red Corvette

Those are the boxes that had replacement stamps.

We found these in 2013. No clue what is going on today.
Reply to: #925457 by Trailhead Tessie
May 1, 2016 7:21pm
Board
Unless I'm dead, I really, really don't want people taking it upon themselves to replace the stamp in my boxes; it's just impertinent, like rearranging my cupboards or something. Just tell me and I'll replace or retire it. In the case of inactive boxers, why not adopt or toss the box, as all bets are off in that case. I think there needs to be some responsibility on the planter for maintenance, yet some "helping" seems a bit much. The idea that just any old stamp will do, for example, isn't the way most people plant. On the other hand, if I'm in my own box, well, pillage away.