A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Passage of Time

Passage of Time
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Apr 13, 2016 2:01pm
Board
Hello friends,

An out of state letterboxer wrote to ask if any of my old boxes were easy and active.
after 5 years, I didn't know, but I checked on one from Safari Man, and discovered that he had passed.

I am so sad. I will attempt to restore his boxes (Smallest Church near Coolville) for the visitor this weekend, but I am sad that so many of our boxes have fallen into disrepair. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about this?

Just wanted to say "Hi" again.
Re: Passage of Time
Reply to: #924361 by Capt Kirk
Apr 13, 2016 2:54pm
Board
Just wanted to say "Hi" again.

Hey!!!! Welcome back!!!

Despite any hopes you may have harbored to the contrary.... I'm still here!

But really, it's good to see you pop up again!
Reply to: #924363 by wassamatta u
Apr 13, 2016 3:09pm
Board
Wassamatta U!

I remember that name!

How do you feel about me dusting of one or two of Safari Man's box locations to restore only the easiest of letterboxes for those passing through our area? Is this an acceptable practice? I don't carve well, so they'd have to be store-stamps and store-bought log books, but I'd like a few to remain active.

PS: I'm in SE Ohio, and these would be in the local town, or along a major transportation route.

-Kirk
Reply to: #924364 by Capt Kirk
Apr 13, 2016 4:05pm
Board
I don't know Safari Man, but if you wanted help carving for tribute boxes I would be willing to help.

You can't really replace a box that has lost a stamp. If there is no stamp left, I don't think anyone would mind you doing a tribute in the same location as a retired box though.
Reply to: #924364 by Capt Kirk
Apr 13, 2016 4:06pm
Board
You might try contacting granny butterfly before you do anything. I think she is caretaking many of Safari Man's boxes.

In the meanwhile, why not check up on all your plants, make repairs and update the status on them, so the curious out-of-staters have a reason to return?
Reply to: #924369 by speedsquare
Apr 13, 2016 5:51pm
Board
You might try contacting granny butterfly before you do anything. I think she is caretaking many of Safari Man's boxes.

Yep! Granny Butterfly is Safari Man's sister, and she has inherited his boxes. Tributes and maintenance are always welcome things, but best to check with the owner when doing major overhauls/replacements.
Reply to: #924376 by wassamatta u
Apr 13, 2016 5:54pm
Board
I'm pretty sure Okie Dog is Safari Man's sister. Maybe Granny Butterfly is too?
Reply to: #924378 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 13, 2016 6:07pm
Board
I saw Granny Butterfly listed as the originator of this particular box, and time is so short... if I am to place anything at the location for the out-of-towners who are coming to visit relatives nearby. There is NOTHING left in the location of the letterbox but a pile of brokendown stones. They could be restacked and something "hidden" beneath the topmost stone, to satisfy the printed instructions of the clue. But I don't recall the image of the original stamp and have no desire to take over Safari Man's possessions or boxes. I was only asked about that one location as being easily accessed, and it was one of my first discoveries...and so, in his memory, I want to place something there for the pleasure of another boxer.

I think the listing says the box was "retired" (as was Safari Man "retired")... so I'm not sure how or why the out-of-towners came up with this one. Except I think it's the most accessible to anyone passing by.

**7 Years ago, my son and I stopped at the location and while we were there, someone else was messing with the location of the letterbox. My kids noted it and started to poke about, but I stopped them. 12 months later, we started getting into letterboxing, and I realized that we had seen a "Boxer" uncovering and recovering the pouch with the stamp and all... and that I had denied my kids getting into letterboxing by a year, telling them to leave it alone.
Reply to: #924367 by LROSEM
Apr 13, 2016 6:10pm
Board
Unfortunately, there's no letterbox left there. There's a pile of flat stones that once were stacked to hide the box, but I only know that from memory. The adjacent parking lot has been used as a staging location for the construction of an injection well, and a cell phone tower...so there's no stamp, log book or anything else to repair. That's why I was thinking of just buying a quick stamp and logbook to "hide" there for the imminent arrival of the out-of-town guests.
Reply to: #924378 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 13, 2016 6:12pm
Board
I'm pretty sure Okie Dog is Safari Man's sister.

Oh, gosh, yes, you are right! I got confused there, and my profound apologies to those involved!!
Reply to: #924363 by wassamatta u
Apr 13, 2016 6:29pm
Board
It's funny, cause I remember SOME of the names of people who have responded to this thread, but most I cannot place...or don't remember the personality behind the "handle" or "trail name". So help me out... Is wassamatta u the sysop? Or was that Green Tortuga? Or are they the same person?

My memory has faded, and I apologize, but that's a problem with getting older. I turned 60 and just don't remember relationships I had any more.
Reply to: #924383 by Capt Kirk
Apr 14, 2016 3:34am
Board
If there is nothing left of the box and it has been marked as "retired", anything you plant would then be a totally new box. While you could certainly place it in the same location, it would really be "your" box at that point. Perhaps you could do a quick plant at this location since it sounds like it has good accessibility for travelers, and then, if you so desire, take a little time to do a nice tribute box for Safari Man. He was well-loved and respected in the letterboxing community and I am sure you could get a donated stamp and logbook if that is not something you would be able to do. (I would be happy to help with either a stamp or logbook).

SpringChick
Reply to: #924396 by SpringChick
Apr 14, 2016 12:36pm
Board
That's EXACTLY my idea, Spring Chick. I would be honored for any assistance you or others care to provide. I've made a quick plant for this weekend, but would welcome a carved tribute stamp and/or logbook to make this more of a tribute to Glenn/Safari Man. Thank you for your support!