Apr 9, 2016 5:02pm
Board
Like Mom says, "Just say, 'Thank you.' and then, be quiet. haha
Re: Old logbooks
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #923960 by Kirbert
Apr 9, 2016 5:35pm
Board
Well said. I have to share one of my 'favorite' comments that I often find in a physical logbook - "logbook wet." I often wonder who the intended audience for this comment is, as anyone who subsequently finds the box will also recognize the amount of moisture therein, yet I find this written quite often, especially as I attempt to rehabilitate older abandoned boxes.

Don't even get me started on "logbook full..."

:)
Reply to: #923969 by Nairon
Apr 9, 2016 6:38pm
Board
I often find in a physical logbook - "logbook wet." I often wonder who the intended audience for this comment is

What? I'm not allowed to sign logbooks anymore? Sheesh. *shaking head*

Just because I don't log my finds online doesn't mean they aren't real finds!!!!!!!

-- Logbook Wet
Reply to: #923300 by Green Tortuga
Apr 9, 2016 7:25pm
Board
I have a Dia De Los Muertos box, and I asked people to write messages about or to their lost loved ones. I need to go check the box and see if anyone ever did. :-)
Reply to: #923960 by Kirbert
Apr 9, 2016 8:39pm
Board
And notes in the physical log book in the box are to the people who find the box after me. That may not be the original intent when letterboxing first started out, but it's the scheme that makes the most sense to me now

I don't think there was any original intent on these matters cuz that implies an original agent, and I don't think there was such. I think it was more evolutionary. That said, it dismays me when I see an online comment like "the bonus box was a nice surprise" and so forth. Nice surprise for you, maybe, but you just spoiled the surprise for everyone else. (I do know that there was original agency in intending that bonus boxes actually be surprises (google "bonus definition"; ignore the definition related to salary and wages), whatever the word "surprise" means in modern letterboxing).

Of course, I can choose not to read the online comments, as I do, (except of course when researching and writing "novel length posts intended to impress", like this one, as one of my detractors puts it (tho all I am actually doing is writing my opinions on the game and its evolution as I feel about it, stream of consciousness style (cuz that's how I write), and nothing more (awesome band, BTW, download the sound))), tho it would be nice if AQ had a "hide online comments" profile option to make this less awkward. Maybe it does and I just don't know about it.

(((you can tell I'm an ex programmer, cuz I got all them parens to match, put most of the commas in the right places, and I even managed to parse most of that cruft, well, sort of)))

As for comments in the physical logbook, I imagine "logbook is wet" is a bit more constructive than "logbook is missing" :)
Reply to: #923983 by Sir Braemoor
Apr 10, 2016 3:17am
Board
...it dismays me when I see an online comment like "the bonus box was a nice surprise" and so forth. Nice surprise for you, maybe, but you just spoiled the surprise for everyone else.

Doesn't dismay me. That comment is deleted -- along with the ones that say "Dropped off a HH."
Reply to: #923221 by Rocklun
Apr 10, 2016 9:29am
Board
It was a spiral-bound book of 5" x 3.5" index cards, and the container was some old white Rubbermaid type of thing.

What was once considered the State Of The Art lgbk for this hobby had its definite advantages. One of which was being able to separate the thicker index card pages of even the most waterlogged lgbk. However, over half of its pages may be illegible due to the excessive bleeding of dye-based imprints. Whereas, all the pigment imprints will look even sharper and more vibrant on the wet pages.
http://www.atlasquest.com/tutorials/stamping/ink-pads/

Thanks to the worthwhile efforts of Rocklun (and others) letterboxes and its contents, having seen better days, can often be restored and replaced in a new watertight container for others to enjoy the trek to find. Thankfully, there are a few like Rocklun that enjoy the challenge of restoring a worthy letterbox and its contents that others may view as an inconvenience not worth the effort.
Reply to: #924007 by Frenchie
Apr 10, 2016 12:39pm
Board
...over half of its pages may be illegible due to the excessive bleeding of dye-based imprints. Whereas, all the pigment imprints will look even sharper and more vibrant on the wet pages.

I'm not convinced this is a dye vs. pigment thing. There are dye inks that are waterproof, and there are dye inks that are "washable". And the pigment ink that I use, Brilliance, has not proven to be all that waterproof; it tends to blur when wet.