Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: What Counts as a Different Box?

Re: What Counts as a Different Box?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #922082 by MissMoon
Mar 13, 2016 2:42pm
Board
my question would be "why?". If you want to use a really cool and interesting tree as a location for a special box, put one amazing box there.

Agreed. And even further, why all this discussion? Just place the box(es) and let us be surprised.
Reply to: #922071 by Kirbert
Mar 13, 2016 3:13pm
Board
Perhaps whenever a box is listed with the special equipment required attribute, another field should appear where the planter can list the equipment required.

Or perhaps the planter could just put it in the clue, because good grief do we really need another field??? :)
Reply to: #922092 by JerseyTrailblazers
Mar 13, 2016 3:40pm
Board
Sounds like a series, JT....
Reply to: #922086 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 13, 2016 3:49pm
Board
And even further, why all this discussion?

Why?

Because Oberon_Kenobi asked for opinions. And when you ask for opinions on this board you are going to get a discussion, which I'm sure he knew. If he didn't want a discussion he wouldn't have asked.

If it doesn't interest you then use the ignore button.
Reply to: #922071 by Kirbert
Mar 13, 2016 6:52pm
Board
Perhaps whenever a box is listed with the special equipment required attribute, another field should appear where the planter can list the equipment required.

Consider it done! But I'm calling it the "clue". =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #922086 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 14, 2016 6:47am
Board
Just place the box(es) and let us be surprised.

Yes, plant with you own eye - create and expand definitions.

Monet did not ask permission to paint Impression, soleil levant
Reply to: #922096 by MissMoon
Mar 14, 2016 10:08am
Board
If it doesn't interest you then use the ignore button.

Why? It should be obvious to almost everyone that it interests me, as I've participated.

I think it would be a better concept if the discussion were limited or non-existent, specifically, as the concept has an element of surprise or "aha" that the discussion compromises. It is refreshing to see concepts that are different that most boxes, but surprise would make them better, IMHO.

If I used the ignore button, I could not make that, or other points to try to improve the concept. I've tried to be constructive in this thread, or at least to reflect on historical traditions and definitions. I don't think using the ignore button would allow me to be constructive, nor do I believe suggesting its use has a constructive purpose or motive.
Reply to: #922154 by Sir Braemoor
Mar 14, 2016 11:17am
Board
It is refreshing to see concepts that are different that most boxes, but surprise would make them better, IMHO.

With direction boxes predominant, a little something something extra at the hide destination puts a smile on my face.
Reply to: #921954 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 16, 2016 7:14pm
Board
I think it depends on how you present it. Normally, with boxes that close together, I'd expect them to be a series, but if you have some reason you think they should be individual boxes, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to present them that way. Are the stamps related, thematically, or do they tell a story? Then I think a series makes more sense. If the stamps are unrelated, or if finding one doesn't depend on finding any of the others, then I think individual boxes can make sense even if they're close together.