I read recently that if a guy urinates in the yard it will deter the deer

But only while he's in the process.
Re: New Lyme disease bacterium identified
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #920112 by dingus dufus
Feb 12, 2016 11:02am
Board
But only while he's in the process.

Voice of experience? I hope not, because that's an image I don't want stuck in my head...
Reply to: #920114 by Rocklun
Feb 12, 2016 11:25am
Board
Voice of experience? I hope not, because that's an image I don't want stuck in my head...

Too late! Plus now every time you see a cute little deer . . . . .

And imagine what I do to scare the squirrels away
Reply to: #920114 by Rocklun
Feb 12, 2016 11:27am
Board
that's an image I don't want stuck in my head...

Feeling thankful I have my eye bleach patches!
Reply to: #920116 by dingus dufus
Feb 12, 2016 2:13pm
Board
And imagine what I do to scare the squirrels away

Nope. Don't wanna. Not gonna. Can't make me.
Reply to: #919965 by Public Hand
Feb 13, 2016 6:28am
Board
But it's really sad. How awful they must feel to have spent so much time and money. And they don't know how to make their garden any better, since re-planting won't help.
Reply to: #919970 by Mrs Judson's Souffle
Feb 13, 2016 6:34am
Board
Also getting off topic, re: deer
The week my dog made contact with a deer and her droppings [in our yard], he became extremely ill with Giardia. Talking cleaning up massive diarrhea every morning, because he could not hold it, even for 4 hours. What a horrible experience. And if we did not do adequate hand washing, we were also at risk.

It is not fun having deer in one's yard.
Reply to: #920028 by Kirbert
Feb 13, 2016 6:37am
Board
You sure you want the deer?
Reply to: #920030 by Kirbert
Feb 13, 2016 6:39am
Board
We have rather aggressive deer. Not afraid to block traffic, and they do not leave when chased or yelled at.
Reply to: #920099 by MissMoon
Feb 13, 2016 6:40am
Board
They also say coyote urine and dog urine. And those do not work. Not even on rabbits.
Reply to: #920141 by Sunia
Feb 13, 2016 6:54am
Board
We have rather aggressive deer. Not afraid to block traffic, and they do not leave when chased or yelled at.

Let's hope your situation doesn't progress to this!!!

(I have to admit that I laughed when I saw the road sign.)
Reply to: #920144 by Rocklun
Feb 13, 2016 7:19am
Board
I have to admit that I laughed when I saw the road sign.

They amused some others too:

Three of those signs were quickly stolen.

I think they'll eventually get used to the dogs too and they'll have to do something more.
Reply to: #920140 by Sunia
Feb 13, 2016 11:22am
Board
They haven't been a problem. We don't own any pets, although we had a cat for 12 years. The cat would just lay in the yard while the deer were eating. And we've had a couple of tick bites over the years, but haven't caught any diseases from them yet.

A neighbor of ours has a fenced-in 5 acres, and although his house is on it there's an acre or so he's left as wilderness. Pregnant deer will leap his fence to give birth inside his fence, then come and go to feed while leaving the fawn inside until old enough to jump out. IOW, they use his fence to protect their fawns from predators.

One time that didn't work. We found a fawn tangled in his fence. In trying to leap the fence, it had tripped over the top strand of barbed wire and got it completely wrapped around one foot and was hanging from it. Poor thing was exhausted, but otherwise not seriously hurt. SWMBO and I went out there with wire cutters, cut the strand, and carefully unwrapped it from the fawn's foot before releasing it outside the fence. Then we repaired the fence while the fawn went off to find its mom.
Reply to: #920141 by Sunia
Feb 13, 2016 11:26am
Board
In the residential neighborhood where my brother lives near Austin, Texas, they have deer crossings that are painted on the pavement; they look like crosswalks. And the deer actually use them. And in front of each one there's a sign that, rather than saying "Deer Crossing", says "Do Not Feed The Deer". Some people feed the deer in their yards anyway, which makes everyone else angry because most people hate the deer and wish they'd go away. It's too populated an area to even think about shooting one.
Feb 13, 2016 11:43am
Board
Reply to: #920145 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 13, 2016 11:44am
Board
Sooner or later, they're gonna hafta start shooting them. They won't get used to that! Use the meat to feed the needy.
Reply to: #920159 by Kirbert
Feb 13, 2016 12:19pm
Board
It's too populated an area to even think about shooting one.

With a firearm. But bow hunting would probably work, if it were legal. At least an arrow won't go very far.
Reply to: #920165 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 13, 2016 4:27pm
Board
But bow hunting would probably work, if it were legal.

It's legal in New York. They bow hunt deer in some areas from time to time in an official thinning out operation. There's one in a sanctuary near me every winter.
Reply to: #920165 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 13, 2016 10:31pm
Board
A 12-gauge won't go very far, either -- but it's not as quiet as the bow. The area is hilly, which means a smart hunter could easily position himself on high ground so he's shooting downward at the deer, anything that makes it past the deer just goes into the dirt. Of course, it's Texas, that means there is no dirt, it's all rocks, it'll just bounce off and head off somewhere at random. My brother likes long-range target shooting, but you can't do it in Texas at all because the bullets travel 1000 yards, bounce off a rock, then travel another 1000 yards in some random direction.

He lives on a hill overlooking Lake Travis, and the stairs down to his boat launch tend to be infested with snakes. He decided the solution was to buy a .410 gauge shotgun, not a serious weapon, just a little scattergun that'd be good for popping the occasional snake without attracting too much attention from the neighbors. He's the gun nut but even I coulda told him the problem with that plan: There's nothing non-serious about a .410 gauge, it's a powerful shotgun. He apparently found out his mistake quickly and ended up giving me the .410. Here in Florida, it's a fine firearm to have.
Feb 14, 2016 5:40am
Board
For goodness sake! Our deer is not afraid of barking from our late dog. But no attacks from the deer.
Reply to: #920158 by Kirbert
Feb 14, 2016 5:45am
Board
Oh, no. Our deer also gave birth just on the other side of our fence, and came over to eat all our hosta and lilies. Then we added higher deer fence, but a hawk got caught, upside down, just as you described. I had SPCA come collect the hawk. Those talons were dangerous.
Feb 14, 2016 5:47am
Board
It is illegal to feed deer in our town. Too many deer/car collisions.
Feb 14, 2016 8:50pm
Board
I would love the deer, but they are seriously destructive in a neighborhood.