A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Need Basket ideas for Fundraiser Auction

Re: Need Basket ideas for Fundraiser Auction
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #917726 by StampingIsMyForte
Jan 13, 2016 8:27am
Board
I've learned to stay far, far away from Pinterest. Haha! (I'd be on there all day)
Reply to: #917725 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 8:34am
Board
I would tell her no, then, and ask how else you can contribute. I would tell her that if the point is to make money, you don't want to make a basket that nobody bids on!
Reply to: #917720 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 8:43am
Board
I'd focus on the carving,not the boxing. It's something you can dabble in without too much research.

I wouldn't want to compromise local boxes by encouraging those who are...less passionate about boxing to "check it out".
But if they enjoyed carving, they might want to look into it further. Maybe a few simple/basic carving supplies and a journal and ink pads. If your family/friends gift you lovely store bought stamps that you've never used because you like to carve your own (but at least they tried to understand your hobby) this would be a good place for them,
You might include something about ciphers and codes too...if you wanted to still tie back to letterboxing. Maybe include a card that says something like "Like solving puzzles AND stamping? Learn more about Letterboxing at (website)"

That way, they have to do research to find out what it's about, they can easily use all the supplies for non-boxing activities unless they become intrigued and enamored but they won't be motivated to just try it and see what it's all about (and possibly damage things)

*** One of the first boxing families I met/discovered had some muggley habits because they started out with too little info. Their advice made me shudder, even as a newbie. I wouldn't want to set more half informed individuals out in the world.
Reply to: #917729 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 8:54am
Board
For our school auction, the classrooms are assigned types of baskets and each student is assigned one item to bring in for it. For example, my son had to bring in a shirt (t-shirt/jersey) for a local professional football team for his class' sports basket (someone else brought in a cup with the logo, etc.). Easy baskets are the "movie night" (bring in popcorn, flavoring, DVDs, snuggle blanket, etc.) and the "ice cream" basket (ice cream toppings, IOU for ice cream, ice cream cones/waffle bowls, spoons, fancy dishes/napkins, etc.). Sometimes book baskets do well (have a girl basket and a boy basket).

I like that the baskets are assembled as a team effort rather than one person shelling out the time and money to put together one basket.

Another thing to consider, my kids' elementary school always does a class donation for the school auction. Each child in the class does a piece of a greater item. For example, one class made tile coasters (each student decorated one). Another class painted a wheelbarrow and painted hand prints and their names on the outside of it. Another class painted a chair white and then put their hand prints on that. I also remember the class pet had a framed photo which raised more money than it cost.

Good luck!
Reply to: #917725 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 8:56am
Board
It's better when you can solicit donations so the baskets are essentially "free" for you to put together.

You could do a hiking kit? Reusable water bottle, socks, snacks, (free) maps of local trails? Binoculars if you can still find some on Christmas clearance? Or a (used from Amazon) book on tree/plant identifying? Add in sketch book and colored pencils to draw on the art aspect? Use a pull string backpack (easy to make if you sew) instead of a basket?

I got frustrated with donating stuff too. Sometimes it was appreciated, sometimes it didn't appear to be. One item was in demand...but the person in charge wrapped and labeled it poorly. :-( Probably b/c it was homemade, but still. People who knew about it wanted it and couldn't find it to bid.
Reply to: #917731 by Uncorny Acorns
Jan 13, 2016 9:49am
Board
I have a HUGE box of unused store bought stamps someone else gave me that I never even look at. I could definitely add some of that to the box. It would be very girly, though. Flowers and quotes, mostly. Not sure if that would work for this Engineering Magnet school. But thanks for giving me that idea, I will look through that box.

As for the making stuff by kids, this school has no art department, except digital arts, and that's not my area...

The cipher idea won't work, because there's exactly 2 letterboxes with ciphers within 20 miles of me. So there's not much for them to find. One of the boxes is mine, with a donated stamp andazing handmade logbook, and I don't want them to look for that on their first try. Haha!

Knowing my middle school kids, they are too wrapped up in video games and U tube shows to stop for 2 seconds to try one, anyway.

I told her I would focus on the stamp carving as a hobby, if I do it. I don't think I would mention letterboxing, though I seriously doubt I would recruit even 1 kid to the hobby. Giving them a blurb about letterboxing actually does not worry me at all. This school has extra nice, smart kids, not worried about vandals, like I do with geocaching. They don't go roaming about on their own here in parks, until high school age.

I will just buy stuff I want, and keep the receipts, and I told her I want it back if it doesn't sell for the minimum I propose.
Reply to: #917737 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 1:09pm
Board
Another idea (which may not work in your situation), some teachers I know plan an outing with a student and 2-3 of their classmates. One time it was a birthday party at a local business and included a bus ride there after school. Another time it was an afternoon of ice cream and putt-putt golf. Scheduled at a mutually convenient time between "May 16 and Sept 16" (each teacher had set their date range). Sounds like you need to offer an Xbox tourney or similar?

Another teacher offered an overnight party at the school in the gym (kickball, volleyball). Maybe your group wants an all-nighter (or a late night) in the computer lab?

Then there is "principal for the day" where a child gets to read the announcements, go out to lunch (off campus) with principal and make a special rule for the day (e.g. Gum is allowed).
Jan 13, 2016 2:39pm
Board
It doesn't have to be letterboxing right? A popular gift box in our neck of the woods is a "Movie basket". A large popcorn bowl (bought at a discount store), some popcorn kernels, an age appropriate dvd, and maybe a gift certificate to a cinema. They usually go very quickly for way above what you paid for it. Just make it pretty. Just an idea.
Jan 13, 2016 5:28pm
Board
I am a retired teacher who was so blessed to have amazing parents. A few parents gave baskets for gifts. One of my favorite basket was a home movie night theme. There was a big bowl (instead of a basket) with microwave popcorn, boxed candy, small bottles of pop, and a gift card to Walmart or Target to pick up a movie for my family. It was all wrapped in cellophane and the tag was a message about important family memories. Priceless - and I still remember the wonderful family who presented it to me.