A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Whats in your letterboxing backpack

Re: Whats in your letterboxing backpack
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #917769 by StampingIsMyForte
Jan 13, 2016 3:46pm
Board
Would it technically count as "found" if you found the box but the stamp that was meant to be there wasn't?

Some people will count a container and logbook but no stamp as a find and some will not. There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this even though the so called definition of a letterbox is logbook and stamp.
Reply to: #917773 by wassamatta u
Jan 13, 2016 3:52pm
Board
I have seen these used to VERY good effect at events

Never seen it used on the trail or at events. At any event I've been to, either no one is coming right behind you or they are standing politely a few feet away waiting for you to finish stamping in. Or standing right there while everyone chatters away. Never been a need to "hold the place".
Reply to: #917796 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 3:57pm
Board
Some people will count a container and logbook but no stamp as a find and some will not. There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this even though the so called definition of a letterbox is logbook and stamp.

True. But if you care, you are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

Of course, I've been publicly called out for my lowly P2F7 ranking, so I suppose I should care. Maybe if I cared, and found a box without a stamp, I could log it anyway and be a P2F8 or something, and all the P2F7 haters would go away, and all would be well as these things go. YMMV, of course :)
Reply to: #917753 by Neen and Joy
Jan 13, 2016 4:15pm
Board
One thing I added this fall was 2 small zipper bags with baking soda. While on a lunch break during an LB hike my trail mate got a bee sting! Fortunately we were not far from a grocery store and could buy baking soda but now I'm prepared if it happens again. Just adding a few drops of water to the bag would allow u to make a paste to put on the sting. I did label the bags so one questions its contents. Doesn't add much weight either and oddly enough I had some miniature zipper bags hanging around ;)
Reply to: #917791 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 4:26pm
Board
I got lost in the woods, but I still had snacks....
Reply to: #917719 by brailleboxer
Jan 13, 2016 4:27pm
Board
If you look in there now, you will see pine needls, twigs, grasses, some dirt and hopefully be able to get to the pen, stamp, ink, logbooks, and compass. I also have hand sanitizer, snack, and a pincle and a water bottle while we hike. Nothing fancy. :)
Reply to: #917801 by CTEagleEye
Jan 13, 2016 4:32pm
Board
Just adding a few drops of water to the bag would allow u to make a paste to put on the sting.

I carry After Bite in my backpack. My buddies and I have used it for stings, bug bites, hives, and stinging-nettle encounters.
Reply to: #917796 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 4:34pm
Board
There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this

Understatement of the year! :^)
Reply to: #917798 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 13, 2016 4:37pm
Board
I've been publicly called out for my lowly P2F7 ranking

My, those are some pathetic stats! You obviously need to work harder at letterboxing.
Jan 13, 2016 5:00pm
Board
I personally pack like there is a possibility I will spontaneously decide to run away from home. The only thing I carry that most probably don't are biodegradable wet wipes, a small laminated tree guide (cuz I'm not very good at that on my own), and a tick remover thingie, because if I get a tick, I am getting it off right that second I don't care where I am or what level of undress is required or about your PTSD later.
Jan 13, 2016 5:10pm
Board
I think my unique items would be biodegradable toilet paper (for the inevitable mid hike potty break) and a 14" heavy duty screw driver.
Reply to: #917810 by Kimoppi
Jan 13, 2016 5:25pm
Board
a 14" heavy duty screw driver.

Okay, I'll bite: do you carry it as a weapon? Maybe as a tool for prying boxes out of the snow?
Jan 13, 2016 5:47pm
Board
Odd items , items that come in handy etc.

A sex toy.
Reply to: #917817 by Cyclonic
Jan 13, 2016 6:00pm
Board
A sex toy.

This is one of those rare posts where I want to click funny, interesting, educational, disagree, huh?, hug, and rude.
Reply to: #917808 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 6:00pm
Board
My, those are some pathetic stats! You obviously need to work harder at letterboxing.

I heard someone wrote a book on it, maybe that would help.
Reply to: #917821 by Cyclonic
Jan 13, 2016 6:04pm
Board
I heard someone wrote a book on it, maybe that would help.

If I can find a copy, I'll try to send one to this poor newbie, since his first find was only a year and a half ago.
Reply to: #917798 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 13, 2016 6:22pm
Board
But if you care, you are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

Nope. don't care. Just answering the question. Some things in our hobby I *do* care about, maybe too much, but this isn't one of them.
Jan 13, 2016 6:28pm
Board
Oreos.

Anything else is over thinking it.
Reply to: #917820 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 7:01pm
Board
Don't click "disagree," then he'll want to prove it....
Reply to: #917785 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 7:01pm
Board
Yes, that's right-they are a quick fix if a box is broken or ruined somehow, and then I always tell the planter so that if they want something better then they can do maintenance at another time. IMHO cammo pouches are not great and I have had my share of bug-swarm attacks from opening some of them, but it suffices temporarily, when you need it! Gee, I hope this thread doesn't go off on a tangent about everyone's experiences with BUGS....eeew! I feel all squirmy already!
Reply to: #917827 by Gypsy Fiddler
Jan 13, 2016 7:09pm
Board
All the LB essentials, plus: first aid kit, Benadryl cream for stinging nettle stings, baby wipes for muddy fingers, garden gloves for really "well" hidden boxes, baggies for repairs, and a grocery bag for litter I find along the way!
Jan 13, 2016 7:15pm
Board
I have most of the usual stuff plus

Toothbrush - This works wonders when the seal of the boxes are full of dirt or bugs.

Paper Towels and camouflage duct tape - used for first aid on box and humans.

small wire chain saw - Not sure why we have this but if we ever need one, we will have it.
Jan 13, 2016 8:11pm
Board
After reading this whole thread I have come to one conclusion.
We are all utterly insane.
Reply to: #917773 by wassamatta u
Jan 13, 2016 8:13pm
Board
But if you find one of these, you know the box exists, and will be replaced momentarily.

I have seen these used to VERY good effect at events.

I'd just like to say that that's so much more considerate than my idea to surreptitiously put the box in my pack and pretend to keep looking for it along with everyone else at the event. =)

-- Ryan, who definitely takes "rehide better than you found it" seriously....
Reply to: #917813 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 8:34pm
Board
Okay, I'll bite: do you carry it as a weapon? Maybe as a tool for prying boxes out of the snow?

I was guessing it was to dig a cathole for the biodegradable toilet paper, but self defense and prying out boxes sound good too. As long as it is not used for both digging catholes and prying out boxes. But I suppose it would still be good for self defense either way.
Reply to: #917813 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 9:25pm
Board
All off the above, really. I missed a box on vacation because it was encased in ice. When my dad was giving me tools I it planning to attack that box on the way home. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the box, but that big ol' screwdriver has remained just in case.
Reply to: #917840 by Kimoppi
Jan 14, 2016 5:09am
Board
A lot of great ideas here. In addition to the normal boxing supplies we have a small flashlight, pepper spray, and a wooden back scratcher from a $ store. That may seem odd but when it scratches on a hidden box/pouch it makes a unique sound. Great for those dark hidey holes and would rather drag out any creepy crawlers, etc with that than our hands.
Reply to: #917822 by Rocklun
Jan 14, 2016 5:55am
Board
If I can find a copy, I'll try to send one to this poor newbie, since his first find was only a year and a half ago.

You should get him a signed copy, that always makes it extra special!
Reply to: #917826 by Sheba
Jan 14, 2016 5:57am
Board
Don't click "disagree," then he'll want to prove it....

Why do you think Schizokeet and I find so few letterboxes anymore?
Reply to: #917861 by Cyclonic
Jan 14, 2016 6:11am
Board
You should get him a signed copy, that always makes it extra special!

Ooh, fabulous idea! Hmm, I wonder how I can get in touch with that Randy fella? If only he logged in to AQ now and then...