A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Whats in your letterboxing backpack

Re: Whats in your letterboxing backpack
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #917773 by wassamatta u
Jan 13, 2016 11:39am
Board
darnit, Mr. Wassa, you use your keyboard prettier than a twenty dollar editor.

Thanks for clarifying my muddled message
Reply to: #917774 by dingus dufus
Jan 13, 2016 12:06pm
Board
Let me throw this wrench in the program-since we're on the subject of placeholder stamps why not put a cute little place holder card in there instead? You know the ones where they have them hanging on the door at restaurants or businesses saying be back in 10 minutes .... You could make a really cute card with a stamp you have carved And laminate it. I could see how these we come in super handy for events ! Just food for thought
Oh and even better food for thought how about making LTC's out of them ? That would always be fun to !!!! But the rule would be if you take the LTC you have to replace it with another " right back " ltc !
Oh what fun
Reply to: #917746 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 12:12pm
Board
I can't imagine a circumstance where I'd ever use a placeholder stamp, but I guess there must be one?

If you came upon an extra stamp that explained you found the right spot but the box was in use; wouldn't you want that stamp (and maybe an exchange as well?) Sometimes in urban-y settings we head down trail for awhile before stopping to stamp in.

As I said, we often forget to use it. We've missed a stamp only to realize when trying to log an attempt that another boxer must have been stamping in stealthily. And probably thought we were muggles enjoying the view. (Klutzy muggles, with untied shoes and slippery sets of keys.)
Reply to: #917777 by System
Jan 13, 2016 12:12pm
Board
I pledge allegiance to Hedy Lamarr!
Reply to: #917738 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 12:40pm
Board
It's something you put in place of the actual box while you're logging in in case a boxer comes up right behind you.

Personally, I think this situation could offer better consolation with a cold beer. It's the least you could do. But since that isn't feasible, chocolate should suffice.
Reply to: #917746 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 12:46pm
Board
This was in conversation way back when I was into boxing like six or seven years ago(I had to take a short break)...at the time, you would put something, like a little flat wooden animal(something you'd find at Walmart), a box, or a note of some sort...small enough to fit into the box spot, to let another boxer know you currently have the stamp and you could possibly wait for an exchange. I've never personally have seen one used, but I had one and used it a few times. Only in really busy spots-there aren't very many boxers where I live.
Reply to: #917753 by Neen and Joy
Jan 13, 2016 12:57pm
Board
I have to get better at helping other boxes too. I have a 9,7, 6, and 2 year old we drag along with us. I usually have all of their individual siggy stamps and log books in a bag that is attached to the carrier we have the two year old in. And in the other bag on the carrier, we have water, snacks, diapers, and other kid essentials in it. When we have that much stuff to lug around, it's hard to remember repair kits and what not. =)
Reply to: #917755 by Gypsy Fiddler
Jan 13, 2016 1:00pm
Board
a few cammo pouches in case a box I find needs some first aid.

Do you mean like "homemade" from duct tape? That is a great idea and they don't take up much room.
Reply to: #917764 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 1:04pm
Board
I've been boxing in a really busy area a few times and I've not found a box, but when I've gone to log in the attempt, I've seen that someone has found it the same day I've missed it. I assumed that the person who found the box had it while I was looking for it. If I knew someone had it, I would've waited around, met another boxer and gotten an exchange, as well as get that box. I personally have never seen one, but I've put something in place of a box while in a really busy place just in case. I hope that helps.
Reply to: #917744 by zinni
Jan 13, 2016 1:45pm
Board
Are you talking about serious hiking? How long are you usually away from the car? I generally leave food and water in the car. I carry 3 tissues, though, which can double as TP. But I'm usually only out for 20-90 minutes. Sometimes I do carry a small water bottle in my hand, and a little edible in my pocket. [borderline diabetic]

I just carry LB supplies, including extra baggies and a couple of wet hand-wipes and old gloves. [If I used a cell, of course that would make excellent sense.]
Reply to: #917744 by zinni
Jan 13, 2016 2:04pm
Board
Did I mention toilet paper. Diabetics always have to tinkle.

Who needs toilet paper?

(I'm still holding a grudge against her after her security guards kicked us off the stones on her property where there were letterboxes hidden before she moved there.)
Reply to: #917789 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 2:19pm
Board
Oh My Goodness! I almost spit my drink out of my mouth! This is actually a little inside joke between my husband and I.

On a side note...who are you talking about? Are you talking about TS?
Reply to: #917791 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 2:24pm
Board
On a side note...who are you talking about? Are you talking about TS?

Yep. She owns a house in RI on a public beach. We didn't realize we were trespassing until we got yelled at.
Reply to: #917769 by StampingIsMyForte
Jan 13, 2016 3:46pm
Board
Would it technically count as "found" if you found the box but the stamp that was meant to be there wasn't?

Some people will count a container and logbook but no stamp as a find and some will not. There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this even though the so called definition of a letterbox is logbook and stamp.
Reply to: #917773 by wassamatta u
Jan 13, 2016 3:52pm
Board
I have seen these used to VERY good effect at events

Never seen it used on the trail or at events. At any event I've been to, either no one is coming right behind you or they are standing politely a few feet away waiting for you to finish stamping in. Or standing right there while everyone chatters away. Never been a need to "hold the place".
Reply to: #917796 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 3:57pm
Board
Some people will count a container and logbook but no stamp as a find and some will not. There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this even though the so called definition of a letterbox is logbook and stamp.

True. But if you care, you are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

Of course, I've been publicly called out for my lowly P2F7 ranking, so I suppose I should care. Maybe if I cared, and found a box without a stamp, I could log it anyway and be a P2F8 or something, and all the P2F7 haters would go away, and all would be well as these things go. YMMV, of course :)
Reply to: #917753 by Neen and Joy
Jan 13, 2016 4:15pm
Board
One thing I added this fall was 2 small zipper bags with baking soda. While on a lunch break during an LB hike my trail mate got a bee sting! Fortunately we were not far from a grocery store and could buy baking soda but now I'm prepared if it happens again. Just adding a few drops of water to the bag would allow u to make a paste to put on the sting. I did label the bags so one questions its contents. Doesn't add much weight either and oddly enough I had some miniature zipper bags hanging around ;)
Reply to: #917791 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 4:26pm
Board
I got lost in the woods, but I still had snacks....
Reply to: #917719 by brailleboxer
Jan 13, 2016 4:27pm
Board
If you look in there now, you will see pine needls, twigs, grasses, some dirt and hopefully be able to get to the pen, stamp, ink, logbooks, and compass. I also have hand sanitizer, snack, and a pincle and a water bottle while we hike. Nothing fancy. :)
Reply to: #917801 by CTEagleEye
Jan 13, 2016 4:32pm
Board
Just adding a few drops of water to the bag would allow u to make a paste to put on the sting.

I carry After Bite in my backpack. My buddies and I have used it for stings, bug bites, hives, and stinging-nettle encounters.
Reply to: #917796 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 4:34pm
Board
There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this

Understatement of the year! :^)
Reply to: #917798 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 13, 2016 4:37pm
Board
I've been publicly called out for my lowly P2F7 ranking

My, those are some pathetic stats! You obviously need to work harder at letterboxing.
Jan 13, 2016 5:00pm
Board
I personally pack like there is a possibility I will spontaneously decide to run away from home. The only thing I carry that most probably don't are biodegradable wet wipes, a small laminated tree guide (cuz I'm not very good at that on my own), and a tick remover thingie, because if I get a tick, I am getting it off right that second I don't care where I am or what level of undress is required or about your PTSD later.
Jan 13, 2016 5:10pm
Board
I think my unique items would be biodegradable toilet paper (for the inevitable mid hike potty break) and a 14" heavy duty screw driver.
Reply to: #917810 by Kimoppi
Jan 13, 2016 5:25pm
Board
a 14" heavy duty screw driver.

Okay, I'll bite: do you carry it as a weapon? Maybe as a tool for prying boxes out of the snow?
Jan 13, 2016 5:47pm
Board
Odd items , items that come in handy etc.

A sex toy.
Reply to: #917817 by Cyclonic
Jan 13, 2016 6:00pm
Board
A sex toy.

This is one of those rare posts where I want to click funny, interesting, educational, disagree, huh?, hug, and rude.
Reply to: #917808 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 6:00pm
Board
My, those are some pathetic stats! You obviously need to work harder at letterboxing.

I heard someone wrote a book on it, maybe that would help.
Reply to: #917821 by Cyclonic
Jan 13, 2016 6:04pm
Board
I heard someone wrote a book on it, maybe that would help.

If I can find a copy, I'll try to send one to this poor newbie, since his first find was only a year and a half ago.
Reply to: #917798 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 13, 2016 6:22pm
Board
But if you care, you are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

Nope. don't care. Just answering the question. Some things in our hobby I *do* care about, maybe too much, but this isn't one of them.