A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Whats in your letterboxing backpack

Re: Whats in your letterboxing backpack
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #917719 by brailleboxer
Jan 13, 2016 10:48am
Board
We have our logbook and signature stamp for me and my husband and our three year old's signature stamp. Markers, pens, and a compass. We need to get some ink pads. For our three year old we have snacks, change of clothes and usually an extra toy that gets dragged along by him. And then for the seven month old we have diapers, wipes, change of clothes and a nursing cover in case he needs to nurse. Oh and of course a first aid kit in case of any boo boos. I've been trying to get better at carrying things for boxes that need help. So mommy carries the backpack with everything and daddy carries the baby on his back and our three year old hikes right along with us. :)
Reply to: #917723 by FloridaFour
Jan 13, 2016 10:52am
Board
Yes-all of this stuff, plus, I carry HH's that I need to move along, and extra logbooks, plastic ziploc bags, and a few cammo pouches in case a box I find needs some first aid. I always try to take care of every box I find as if it were my own <3
Reply to: #917750 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 10:56am
Board
I assume you tell the planter you replaced their stamp? Since that affects the attributes of the stamp. It's no longer a hand carved stamp and probably no longer reflects the theme of the box if there was one. I've actually never known anyone to do this.

Nah, this isn't something I'd do. And I'd definitely never recommend that people do this!

I've found my share of crappy replacement stamps that have nothing to do with the theme, so there are obviously people who do it. I'd be very unhappy if someone stuck a stamp in one of my boxes without my permission. Okay, except for the one time that someone added a hand-carved piece of cheese stamp to a box with a rat stamp. I still don't know who did it, but I thought that was really funny and left it in there! :^)
Reply to: #917755 by Gypsy Fiddler
Jan 13, 2016 11:00am
Board
zinni you should add glucose tabs
Reply to: #917749 by Captain Obvious!
Jan 13, 2016 11:02am
Board
B e c a u s e s m i l e y - f a c e ...okay, you've got the picture!! ;^)
Reply to: #917756 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 11:05am
Board
bahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I missed the sarcasm Captain Obvious so obviously pointed out!! I didn't even feel the breeze as it sailed over my head.

bahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I wondered........I was like.....nahhhhhh......no way.....bahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But the whole thing about using something to hold the place of the box while stamping in still totally escapes me.
Reply to: #917738 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 11:13am
Board
It's something you put in place of the actual box while you're logging in in case a boxer comes up right behind you.

I just gotta open this can of worms and ask............Could you explain this? Cuz in all the years I've been boxing I have never heard of such a thing or seen anyone do this. Like Ever. Why do you do this?
Jan 13, 2016 11:18am
Board
Do you mean that you have a stand-in that you temporarily put in place of the letterbox while you whisk away that box you found to do your stamping and logging? Like a seat holder of sorts or a ball marker on a golf green? Interesting if that is the case. We've missed boxes that were out being stamped into in the past.
Reply to: #917761 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 11:21am
Board
I missed the sarcasm Captain Obvious so obviously pointed out!! I didn't even feel the breeze as it sailed over my head.

LOL!! I obviously need to practice my sarcasm skills!! I thought they were pretty well-honed. ;^)

But the whole thing about using something to hold the place of the box while stamping in still totally escapes me.

Agreed! I hope someone can explain! I've run into plenty of letterboxers on the trails without ever having a problem. Maybe if someone was doing a tor?
Reply to: #917765 by dingus dufus
Jan 13, 2016 11:23am
Board
We've missed boxes that were out being stamped into in the past.

Really? Maybe at an event? I'm trying to think if this ever happened when we were boxing in Andover but can't recall.
Reply to: #917765 by dingus dufus
Jan 13, 2016 11:27am
Board
Even if that were the case, (Which sounds like it is) I wouldn't want to have any stamp put in its place just so I can say that I found it- I'd rather come back another day.
Would it technically count as "found" if you found the box but the stamp that was meant to be there wasn't?
Reply to: #917768 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 11:28am
Board
This has happened in the busier locations where a stamping boxer would try to hide from the general public. Several times in ME around the Portland area for us. But a little token that said "this box is currently being stamp in and will be back shortly" could make a neat personal traveler to come across
Reply to: #917769 by StampingIsMyForte
Jan 13, 2016 11:32am
Board
Would it technically count as "found" if you found the box but the stamp that was meant to be there wasn't?

If there's no stamp in the box, I don't count it as a find.

I will count mostly crumbled stamps (*#^$ MasterCarve!) as well as stamps completely enclosed in a block of ice, however.
Jan 13, 2016 11:32am
Board
Even if that were the case, (Which sounds like it is) I wouldn't want to have any stamp put in its place just so I can say that I found it- I'd rather come back another day.

This is exactly what it is for (as mentioned, like a "Seat Holder"). But the purpose is not to have a REPLACEMENT, but simply to let you know "it isn't missing, be patient a few minutes and it will be put back". If you go to find a box and it isn't there.. you would naturally assume it is missing. But if you find one of these, you know the box exists, and will be replaced momentarily.

I have seen these used to VERY good effect at events. It makes a lot of sense. It is probably not as big an issue (unless your timing is incredibly bad) on regular boxes in the wild.
Reply to: #917773 by wassamatta u
Jan 13, 2016 11:39am
Board
darnit, Mr. Wassa, you use your keyboard prettier than a twenty dollar editor.

Thanks for clarifying my muddled message
Reply to: #917774 by dingus dufus
Jan 13, 2016 12:06pm
Board
Let me throw this wrench in the program-since we're on the subject of placeholder stamps why not put a cute little place holder card in there instead? You know the ones where they have them hanging on the door at restaurants or businesses saying be back in 10 minutes .... You could make a really cute card with a stamp you have carved And laminate it. I could see how these we come in super handy for events ! Just food for thought
Oh and even better food for thought how about making LTC's out of them ? That would always be fun to !!!! But the rule would be if you take the LTC you have to replace it with another " right back " ltc !
Oh what fun
Reply to: #917746 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 12:12pm
Board
I can't imagine a circumstance where I'd ever use a placeholder stamp, but I guess there must be one?

If you came upon an extra stamp that explained you found the right spot but the box was in use; wouldn't you want that stamp (and maybe an exchange as well?) Sometimes in urban-y settings we head down trail for awhile before stopping to stamp in.

As I said, we often forget to use it. We've missed a stamp only to realize when trying to log an attempt that another boxer must have been stamping in stealthily. And probably thought we were muggles enjoying the view. (Klutzy muggles, with untied shoes and slippery sets of keys.)
Reply to: #917777 by System
Jan 13, 2016 12:12pm
Board
I pledge allegiance to Hedy Lamarr!
Jan 13, 2016 12:40pm
Board
It's something you put in place of the actual box while you're logging in in case a boxer comes up right behind you.

Personally, I think this situation could offer better consolation with a cold beer. It's the least you could do. But since that isn't feasible, chocolate should suffice.
Reply to: #917746 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 12:46pm
Board
This was in conversation way back when I was into boxing like six or seven years ago(I had to take a short break)...at the time, you would put something, like a little flat wooden animal(something you'd find at Walmart), a box, or a note of some sort...small enough to fit into the box spot, to let another boxer know you currently have the stamp and you could possibly wait for an exchange. I've never personally have seen one used, but I had one and used it a few times. Only in really busy spots-there aren't very many boxers where I live.
Reply to: #917753 by Neen and Joy
Jan 13, 2016 12:57pm
Board
I have to get better at helping other boxes too. I have a 9,7, 6, and 2 year old we drag along with us. I usually have all of their individual siggy stamps and log books in a bag that is attached to the carrier we have the two year old in. And in the other bag on the carrier, we have water, snacks, diapers, and other kid essentials in it. When we have that much stuff to lug around, it's hard to remember repair kits and what not. =)
Reply to: #917755 by Gypsy Fiddler
Jan 13, 2016 1:00pm
Board
a few cammo pouches in case a box I find needs some first aid.

Do you mean like "homemade" from duct tape? That is a great idea and they don't take up much room.
Reply to: #917764 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 1:04pm
Board
I've been boxing in a really busy area a few times and I've not found a box, but when I've gone to log in the attempt, I've seen that someone has found it the same day I've missed it. I assumed that the person who found the box had it while I was looking for it. If I knew someone had it, I would've waited around, met another boxer and gotten an exchange, as well as get that box. I personally have never seen one, but I've put something in place of a box while in a really busy place just in case. I hope that helps.
Reply to: #917744 by zinni
Jan 13, 2016 1:45pm
Board
Are you talking about serious hiking? How long are you usually away from the car? I generally leave food and water in the car. I carry 3 tissues, though, which can double as TP. But I'm usually only out for 20-90 minutes. Sometimes I do carry a small water bottle in my hand, and a little edible in my pocket. [borderline diabetic]

I just carry LB supplies, including extra baggies and a couple of wet hand-wipes and old gloves. [If I used a cell, of course that would make excellent sense.]
Reply to: #917744 by zinni
Jan 13, 2016 2:04pm
Board
Did I mention toilet paper. Diabetics always have to tinkle.

Who needs toilet paper?

(I'm still holding a grudge against her after her security guards kicked us off the stones on her property where there were letterboxes hidden before she moved there.)
Reply to: #917789 by Rocklun
Jan 13, 2016 2:19pm
Board
Oh My Goodness! I almost spit my drink out of my mouth! This is actually a little inside joke between my husband and I.

On a side note...who are you talking about? Are you talking about TS?
Reply to: #917791 by Trouble Bug
Jan 13, 2016 2:24pm
Board
On a side note...who are you talking about? Are you talking about TS?

Yep. She owns a house in RI on a public beach. We didn't realize we were trespassing until we got yelled at.
Jan 13, 2016 3:46pm
Board

Some people will count a container and logbook but no stamp as a find and some will not. There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this even though the so called definition of a letterbox is logbook and stamp.
Reply to: #917773 by wassamatta u
Jan 13, 2016 3:52pm
Board
I have seen these used to VERY good effect at events

Never seen it used on the trail or at events. At any event I've been to, either no one is coming right behind you or they are standing politely a few feet away waiting for you to finish stamping in. Or standing right there while everyone chatters away. Never been a need to "hold the place".
Reply to: #917796 by MissMoon
Jan 13, 2016 3:57pm
Board
Some people will count a container and logbook but no stamp as a find and some will not. There's always been a fair amount of disagreement about this even though the so called definition of a letterbox is logbook and stamp.

True. But if you care, you are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

Of course, I've been publicly called out for my lowly P2F7 ranking, so I suppose I should care. Maybe if I cared, and found a box without a stamp, I could log it anyway and be a P2F8 or something, and all the P2F7 haters would go away, and all would be well as these things go. YMMV, of course :)