Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Letterboxing Club start up

Re: Letterboxing Club start up
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #916452 by Sir Braemoor
Dec 23, 2015 4:47pm
Board
Come to my next anti-gathering

Will it be at the original VT location again?
Reply to: #916452 by Sir Braemoor
Dec 24, 2015 5:50am
Board
Thank you. Those clues definitely pull you in. I like the style of the map that was included in the clues. Hmmm....
Reply to: #916434 by Kirbert
Dec 24, 2015 8:50pm
Board
OTOH, trying to carve on cheap erasers may be what convinces them the hobby isn't for them

I would really be surprised if that were true. Most kids couldn't care less and have no expectations. Anyway, the polymer erasers aren't the gritty pink ones. They are divine to carve on, much like the old pink. The issue comes with longevity, since obviously they wear away over time. I quite liked carving on them, though.

I think folks on the boards are pretty good about encouraging people, and I've heard many reiterate that carving/planting aren't requirements. I never felt pressured or intimidated by that idea and it took me a looooong time actually to try my hand at carving, but I wanted to meet my own goals for what I planted, which had nothing to do with anyone else and everything to do w/ my own preferences. I will admit I'm feeling pressured to write more interesting clues, but I'm not going to quit over it. It may take me a good long while to do it, though. I'm just looking at that as another challenge to work on. The preference for longer hikes, scenic locations, better clues is no different to me than the expectation of hand carving, and they're good things to shoot for if it makes for better boxes or at the very least, more variety. I wouldn't have been ready for that as a newbie, though, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't. I also think it's ok to be at different places with boxing. I can see my preferences shifting as I go, and things were different still when I first started out.

I know boxers who don't carve and no one cares. I don't buy the argument that people actually quit boxing based on comments on the boards concerning learning to carve, but I suppose it's possible they don't start planting b/c of it. Then again, so many people steer them to the stamp exchange and offer to carve that I just don't get that. I think there's always someone who is encouraging, but we're unlikely to hear from them once they quit, either, so who knows?