A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Letterboxing Club start up

Re: Letterboxing Club start up
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #916447 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 23, 2015 2:15pm
Board
Intriguing. How might we get a look at one of those?

I dunno, maybe wayback machine or just write to them.

Unlike every other forum I'm on, I haven't figured out how to include images here (and by the looks of things, neither has anyone else; a topic for another day), so I'll provide links to prove that this stuff does actually exist. I'm no Ansel Adams, so its really bad, but here is the look --

http://www.mapsurfer.com/tmp/vq.jpg
http://www.mapsurfer.com/tmp/vq2.jpg

Both are the same page, a random page in the catalog and then a close up shot of the copy at the bottom of the page that includes the date. Its not Shakespeare, but it was also written by a middle school kid in 1999, which, at least to me, seemed on-topic for the thread. Letterboxing still can be about fun clues, not debating the ins and outs of carving media.

All I can say, and I know I'm gonna offend tons of people, is that it is more fun to find this one than the closest blue diamond box to my zip code. And, I've actually found both, and can compare the personal experiences.

Sorry for the bad pic. Come to my next anti-gathering, and I'll bring the catalog, to really prove that this stuff really did exist back in the day.
Reply to: #916393 by flintlock
Dec 23, 2015 2:59pm
Board
We conducted a small work shop at an event in south east Iowa for a group of boy scouts that showed up for the event. We had a bunch of the Big Mistake Erasers that Dollar General use to carry. They seemed to carve easer than the ones Dollar Tree gets just before school starts. Unfortunately Dollar General discontinued these earlier this year.
Reply to: #916452 by Sir Braemoor
Dec 23, 2015 3:12pm
Board
it is more fun to find this one than the closest blue diamond box to my zip code.

I have a series of 12 boxes that are written in rhyme. I get mixed reviews. Because they are in rhyme the hints aren't as clear as straight directions. Here is the portion of the hint for the February box:

==== February

Walk the road south
From where you are
At Frisbee post,
You've gone too far

Look back where you came
On the road's east side,
Marked white, red and pink,
Wooden heart, three feet wide.

Then fifteen feet north
Between the two trees
Beneath log and duff
Red ink if you please.

Do watch for muggles
When you are seeking.
They're playing disc golf.
Make sure they're not peeking.

==== End

Not great prose, but it is more interesting that un-rhyming directions.
Dec 23, 2015 4:47pm
Board
Come to my next anti-gathering

Will it be at the original VT location again?
Dec 24, 2015 5:50am
Board
Thank you. Those clues definitely pull you in. I like the style of the map that was included in the clues. Hmmm....
Reply to: #916434 by Kirbert
Dec 24, 2015 8:50pm
Board
OTOH, trying to carve on cheap erasers may be what convinces them the hobby isn't for them

I would really be surprised if that were true. Most kids couldn't care less and have no expectations. Anyway, the polymer erasers aren't the gritty pink ones. They are divine to carve on, much like the old pink. The issue comes with longevity, since obviously they wear away over time. I quite liked carving on them, though.

I think folks on the boards are pretty good about encouraging people, and I've heard many reiterate that carving/planting aren't requirements. I never felt pressured or intimidated by that idea and it took me a looooong time actually to try my hand at carving, but I wanted to meet my own goals for what I planted, which had nothing to do with anyone else and everything to do w/ my own preferences. I will admit I'm feeling pressured to write more interesting clues, but I'm not going to quit over it. It may take me a good long while to do it, though. I'm just looking at that as another challenge to work on. The preference for longer hikes, scenic locations, better clues is no different to me than the expectation of hand carving, and they're good things to shoot for if it makes for better boxes or at the very least, more variety. I wouldn't have been ready for that as a newbie, though, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't. I also think it's ok to be at different places with boxing. I can see my preferences shifting as I go, and things were different still when I first started out.

I know boxers who don't carve and no one cares. I don't buy the argument that people actually quit boxing based on comments on the boards concerning learning to carve, but I suppose it's possible they don't start planting b/c of it. Then again, so many people steer them to the stamp exchange and offer to carve that I just don't get that. I think there's always someone who is encouraging, but we're unlikely to hear from them once they quit, either, so who knows?