A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Bonus Boxes

Re: Bonus Boxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #895684 by Scooters Mom
Apr 19, 2015 8:26am
Board
I usually hint in the clue to look for a bonus, because I do want them found. They still don't always get found. And most of the time, people don't know how to log them.

I admit I hardly ever look through the logbooks for bonuses. Usually because I'm being swarmed by mosquitoes.
Apr 19, 2015 10:36am
Board
I don't make it a habit to look through the pages or in the box for a bonus box clue unless it is specifically stated in the main clue. I out with my 2 year old, and that lends itself to rather hasty stamp ins before he decides to run off and hide because panicking mummy is hilarious. Jerk face toddler.

Also, most of the boxes I've been to since starting a few months ago have had fairly beat up log books. Loose pages, damp, etc. That also doesn't lend itself to wanting to search page by page for the bonus clue either.
Reply to: #895720 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 19, 2015 12:05pm
Board
Sometimes people find the bonuses but don't log the finds online. I try to log the ones I find, but sometimes I just can't find the box listing on AQ.
Reply to: #895739 by Intrinsically Knotted
Apr 19, 2015 12:59pm
Board
Sometimes people find the bonuses but don't log the finds online.

I've noticed that, too, when I check on the boxes and find more entries in the log books than are recorded online. When that happens, I AQmail the finder with the box number/name to log. They may still not log, but that is their choice.

The bonus will show up in a search after the parent box is logged, so someone might notice the new listing available for their next outing.

Sometimes with others, I will point out they might have missed something. Some have gone back - and probably are more careful to look in the future. Sort of a lesson taught/learned.

I try to log the ones I find, but sometimes I just can't find the box listing on AQ.

I would hope the planter wouldn't mind if you ask for the box name/number so you can log it.
Apr 20, 2015 6:19am
Board
Almost all of my bonus clues are on a separate piece of paper that's labeled something like "BONUS CLUE." When I plant the series, I bring a piece of clear contact paper and scissors with me so that I can laminate the bonus clue after I figure out the location of the bonus box. I leave the clue in the box with the logbook and stamp.

This technique results in a near 100% find rate, which works for me, since I want people to find the bonus (especially since I tend to plant on longer hikes that people might not return to). :^)
Reply to: #895726 by FloridaFour
Apr 20, 2015 1:44pm
Board
I usually hint in the clue to look for a bonus, because I do want them found.

Good idea. I had put the clues to it on the inside of the back cover. I need to add something to the clue to hint that it's there.

We did go back and get the bonus that we had missed and discovered when logging our finds for the day. I just had to finish the series and it was very close to home. And it was sunny for a few hours this morning before the storms blew in again!
Reply to: #895937 by Scooters Mom
Apr 20, 2015 3:18pm
Board
I have several bonuses out there. They run anywhere from 10 - 50% being found, depending on where in the box I have put the clue.

I had put the clues to it on the inside of the back cover.

Yes, that's where the 10% (or less) comes in. Most folks won't look that far back. Even more evil is hiding the bonus box clue somewhere in the middle of the log book camouflaged among the sig stamp-ins.
Reply to: #895726 by FloridaFour
Apr 20, 2015 9:39pm
Board
I usually hint in the clue to look for a bonus, because I do want them found.

I don't, because I want them enjoyed.
Reply to: #895720 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 23, 2015 10:26pm
Board
I have several bonuses out there.

You're the one that taught me to look for bonus boxes. I've found all of yours, for the boxes I've found. And you've found all of mine, for the boxes you've found.

Hardly any boxers that have found my boxes have found my bonus boxes, and only one of the clues is hidden. It's surprising how many people don't check for clues taped to the inside of the box.