A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Reserving boxes

Re: Reserving boxes
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #886779 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2015 12:00pm
Board
OK, I just reserved a box, and it had a very nice explanation of how to find it again, but when I clicked the "Details Page" button at the bottom it tried to take me to Box 0 (and I got the 404 not found) instead of taking me to my reserved box details page. Just thought you should know.

-TKV
Reply to: #887751 by TheKindlyVikings
Feb 11, 2015 12:36pm
Board
but when I clicked the "Details Page" button at the bottom it tried to take me to Box 0 (and I got the 404 not found)

Whoops! Sorry about that! It should be fixed now. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #887755 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2015 12:57pm
Board
Thanks!
Reply to: #886779 by Green Tortuga
Jun 14, 2017 9:03pm
Board
Speaking of "Activate Box" (and yes, the "new" button is awesome)...

I started/reserved a listing in 2014 that I'm only just now getting around to. If/when I activate it, will the date on the "plant" show as 2017? Or as 2014, with a 2017 "modified"?

-Dave
Reply to: #946910 by Poison Oak
Jun 15, 2017 6:43am
Board
I'm interested in learning the answer to this as well. I've hidden about 20 boxes for an upcoming event and don't want to publish them until a couple of days before. However I would like to start writing them up now. I was afraid to put them in reserve too early for fear of the system dropping them (the event is in about 2 months) but if it's held yours for 3 years I guess I'm ok, yes?
Reply to: #946924 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jun 15, 2017 8:05am
Board
I started/reserved a listing in 2014 that I'm only just now getting around to. If/when I activate it, will the date on the "plant" show as 2017?

I reserve a box every time I carve a stamp which has a planned setting. I do this because I usually add notes to the listing so I remember why I carved the stamp and where I want to place it, most often for a continuing series that I am working on to place a stamp in every Pennsylvania state park. Since I never really know when I will get to these parks, I prepare the boxes and notes ahead of time and just grab them when I have the opportunity to plant. When they are actually planted, I change the date and add the clues. I just planted one on Friday which had been reserved for over a year and all I had to do was change the reserved date on it to the actual planting date.

I was afraid to put them in reserve too early for fear of the system dropping them

I don't think I have ever heard that this would happen. The oldest box I have in my reserved list is now two and a half years old.
Reply to: #946910 by Poison Oak
Jun 15, 2017 11:10am
Board
Reserved boxes are never deleted. The plant date is whatever you set it to, but it might default to the date you convert it into a real box by default.
Reply to: #886669 by Trailhead Tessie
Jun 16, 2017 8:26am
Board
i have yet to figure out the purpose of a reserved box.

smile
Reply to: #886683 by Janila
Jun 16, 2017 9:44am
Board
When you are ready to make it active, go to the reserved box and choose "set type" on the initial clue page.

GT has now switched set type to activate box to make things clearer.
Reply to: #946992 by Wronghat
Jun 16, 2017 1:43pm
Board
GT has now switched set type to activate box to make things clearer.

Once you activate the box, you still have to set the type of box - traditional, HH, postal, etc.
Reply to: #946944 by Green Tortuga
Jun 16, 2017 8:39pm
Board
Thanks for the info, that helps.
Jun 17, 2017 12:00am
Board
The plant date is whatever you set it to

Cool. I didn't know this was changeable. Thanks.
Jun 17, 2017 6:06am
Board
An important thing is notifications. What I understand is that a reserve box notifies people (who want to be notified) from the day you set the type of the box.
Reply to: #947042 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jun 17, 2017 11:25am
Board
What I understand is that a reserve box notifies people (who want to be notified) from the day you set the type of the box.

Yep, when you activate a reserved box, it sends out notifications as if it's an entirely new box.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #887751 by TheKindlyVikings
Feb 21, 2019 11:16am
Board
Ok, I made a reserve box. Screen shot the directions for finding it again.... but can't find the screen shot :/
Reply to: #971886 by condo
Feb 21, 2019 11:39am
Board
Go to your logbook page. In the Action box select Plants. In the Box Type box select Reserved. In the Year box select All or the year in which you made the reserved listing.
Reply to: #971888 by Dawnkey
Feb 21, 2019 2:49pm
Board
Thank you!