A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Friday Distraction - 12/19/14

Re: Friday Distraction - 12/19/14
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #880961 by Jiffy
Dec 19, 2014 8:28am
Board
It was at the Treasure Haunt 2004 so I may have actually met someone else first but Amyrica was the first person I exchanged with at the event. We had been boxing for two months and had only found 14 boxes but three of them were planted by her. I have 20 signature stamps from the people we met that night.
Dec 19, 2014 8:30am
Board
I was at a BSF Sorority Social 10/18/12 and heard Kid Book Lady telling the group about how she picked up a hitchhiker on her way from CA to AZ. At first I thought she was crazy. Don't you know that's not safe when you're traveling. She told us about letterboxing and showed us the AQ website and I was hooked. On 10/21/12 found my first stamp. Didn't meet anyone else till 4/6/14 when we went to our first event.
Dec 19, 2014 8:30am
Board
Not long after I started LB'ing, I signed up for (then "Campfire Lady") Kismet's Stamp Camp - a wonderful, big event geared to learning or advancing skills in every phase of the hobby. But technically, the FIRST people I met were Wheelers Have Landed, who were checking in at the same hotel, at the same time, before heading off to the 'Camp'.
Dec 19, 2014 8:46am
Board
Cherokee Rose of GA.
We met in 2004 in the Elmwood/Pinewood Cemetery in Charlotte, NC where she showed me how to do my first exchange. And that's the first time I saw stamps colors with markers too! I just had a store bought stamp for my sig. back then!
Dec 19, 2014 9:49am
Board
Who was the first letterboxer you ever met in person?

For me, it was at the first letterboxing event in the Pacific Northwest at Izzys Pizza. When I walked in the door, I was looking for a "suspicious" group of people, not really sure what anyone looked like, and there was a guy who walked in ahead of me that for reasons I can't remember anymore, seemed like a letterboxer. He was by himself but seemed to be looking for a group of people as well, so I kind of followed behind him and I don't think he even realized I was there.

Turns out the fellow was the Der Mad Stamper. Who I was a huge fan of since he carved such wonderful stamps and nearly all of the first dozen boxes I found were planted by him.

Another notable appearance at that gathering was the famous Amanda from Seattle--that was the first time I had met her. =)

All told, there were about half a dozen of us that showed up. Funhog, Paisley Orca, Lone Wolf (I think?), and.... *thinking* Off the top of my head, that's all I remember.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #880985 by FloridaFour
Dec 19, 2014 10:09am
Board
But for letterboxing my first "blind" meet up was Bid Red, and she kidnapped me and took me all over Atlanta. My husband was at a forensics convention, and thought I might never be seen again!! Haha!!

Last year, I kidnapped NotMyCircus, who I had only chatted online with, and MADE her go canoeing with me and plant 3 boxes. Now the scary part is there were alligators in the river. I don't know if she told her husband! LOL!

Does this mean we have a severe case of letterboxing Stockholm Syndrome?
Dec 19, 2014 10:42am
Board
I logged a find on the newest Don & Gwen box in Seal Beach, and they replied that they were in town for the holidays. They invited Zuhl and I to lunch, where we also met Turtle McQ, GeoGeorgia and a young couple, Ryan and Amanda. I'd been boxing for a year-and-a-half, but had just joined AQ the week before, so I had no idea who they were.

K
Dec 19, 2014 10:51am
Board
For me I think it must have been ypsitucky queen in the fall of 2008. She wanted to make a video about letterboxing for an upcoming library workshop/event she was doing. We met at her sunflower power box and I shot her giving a letterboxing tutorial while finding her own box.
Dec 19, 2014 11:24am
Board
Outside of Flying J, who got me into it, whom I've known all my life, the first boxer I can say I met was One Love Journeying. We were at a gathering, and there were plenty of people there, and it's still a blur, but when she came into the shelter where we were, we instantly knew each other.

It was very cool, and I still regret missing her wedding, and she's on the other side of the country, but she's still awesome and takes a big place in Skootch and my hearts. :)
Dec 19, 2014 12:14pm
Board
The first letterboxer that I talked to was Public Hand, when we were collaborating to try to defeat a Summer of Eevil box, we talked on the phone.

The first Boxers we met in person was Simply MLE and her two lovely daughters as we were boxing our way to Missoula, MT.

We met them again, and Public Hand, and a bunch of other awesome Idaho boxers at our first event, To Catch A Mockingjay, in Boise, this October.

-TheKindlyVikings
Dec 19, 2014 12:42pm
Board
First letterboxer I met was Michele LeBranche who got me started in letterboxing. He encouraged me to go to my first letterboxing event in Gatlinburg. That's when I first met Rowdy and Sarcasmo and we became the three stooges. Boy, those were really some fun times.
Dec 19, 2014 1:35pm
Board
Several people at a gathering at the Long Trail Inn in Vermont. I don't want to leave anyone out, so, for those on the LbNA talk list, the list of people is in these couple of messages https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/letterbox-usa/conversations/topics/2481

BTW, Jiffy, I think this feature is cool. Keep it going.
Dec 19, 2014 1:49pm
Board
Who was the first letterboxer you ever met in person?

It was kimbest at a geocaching event in March 2011. I had recently started letterboxing and I saw (on this site) that he was a letterboxer too, so I was glad to meet him at the event to ask some questions about letterboxing. He actually told me about exchanges, and we did an exchange there.

The next ones were in May 2011: Boxer Lover47 and CW Sun Seeker. I rode with to an event with them, where I met a lot of other boxers.
Reply to: #880983 by FloridaFour
Dec 19, 2014 1:58pm
Board
I chatted more in the one hours at that first letterboxing event, than all the geocaching events, put together. [...] I did help at a few and also planted some geocaches, but it was probably 5 events in, when people would say more than hello.

It must be different in your part of the country because all we do is chat at geocaching events. This is true of letterboxing events too, but because I'm busy getting stamps I don't chat as much at these. But at both types of events I find people to be very friendly. They are also willing to help with caches that one is having difficulty with. Maybe it is because we spend so much time talking about geocaches/letterboxes that we've found that the newbies feel left out because they don't have as much experience in the hobby/obsession.
Dec 19, 2014 2:29pm
Board
CW Sun Seeker was the first LBer I met. Well, the first I ever 'spoke' to online, and then we met in person at an event in Moab in April 2005. At the time I think we were the only two LBers in northern UT and we would box together whenever we could. Her LBing activities preceded mine by a number of years; she had already found and hidden a bazillion boxes and is still active today. The Moab event was the perfect introduction b/c there were boxers there from ID and CO, as well as UT. I still see them in my travels today.
Dec 19, 2014 4:15pm
Board
The first boxers I met in person were Sits N Knits and Kaaren the Vampire Slayer. We went for a group hike together to find a now retired box at Rock Springs. Dang, that was soooooooo long ago!
Reply to: #880964 by BBStacker
Dec 19, 2014 5:20pm
Board
I remember that
Dec 19, 2014 5:27pm
Board
Franky and Benjy!!!!!...before they were known as such.

Then, at an event in Virginia Beach shortly thereafter...Bulldawg, The Castle Keepers, Mark and Sue, and Scarab, among many other long time boxers.

Casa Del Sol, Winpax, came by the house....and then...

...Mama Wolf, Dixie, Mama Fox, Knit Wit, etc.
Dec 19, 2014 5:48pm
Board
The first letterboxer (who I'm not married to) that I met was Princess Lea. Turns out she and I are cousins... 10th cousins. Our common ancestor died in 1717.

Old Blue
I met my wife, DoubleSaj, briefly in eighth grade, but in 1968 neither of us were letterboxing yet.
Reply to: #881052 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Dec 19, 2014 6:30pm
Board
Turns out she and I are cousins...

When did your wife and your own common ancestor die? Somewhere I read everyone on the planet is a 14th cousin except for the people on the Isle of Mann.
Reply to: #881056 by Wronghat
Dec 19, 2014 6:42pm
Board
When did your wife and your own common ancestor die?

I'm pretty sure that his wife hasn't died! ;o)

-- Ryan
Dec 19, 2014 6:46pm
Board
Mama Wolf. And SHE hugged ME. ;-)
Reply to: #881059 by Green Tortuga
Dec 19, 2014 6:53pm
Board
Hmmm? When did your wife's and your own common ancestor die? Does that make it work?
Dec 19, 2014 7:34pm
Board
Out on the trail a couple of months after we first started, we were having trouble with a box in Tewksbury, MA. Trying to sort out the triangulation when a car pulled up and out hopped The Wildcats! Alice and Dave not only helped us find the box, but they also explained all sorts of aspects of the hobby to us! Shared some HH and cooties with my girls and told us all about some upcoming gatherings!
They are just awesome! and so helpful to us newbies!
Reply to: #881060 by Fluffy Cow
Dec 19, 2014 8:15pm
Board
Mama Wolf. And SHE hugged ME.

Ummm... not exactly how I remember it...
Reply to: #880980 by theseekers1108
Dec 19, 2014 8:19pm
Board
There are some still out there. I found two or three in August and September.
Reply to: #881056 by Wronghat
Dec 19, 2014 10:06pm
Board
Let me clarify, Princess Lea is my cousin, my wife is not a cousin*.

There is a point where nearly all descendants of Europe are related, but I would think its many generations earlier than 14th cousins (16 generations). That would be the 1400s thru the 1500s, just seems too recent for every one to be related.

Old Blue
  • as best we know
Reply to: #881004 by NotMyCircus
Dec 20, 2014 5:12am
Board
MADE her go canoeing with me and plant 3 boxes. Now the scary part is there were alligators in the river.

Note to self: do NOT trust Florida Four.

~tigs (next it will be snakes)
Reply to: #881075 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Dec 20, 2014 9:50am
Board
There is a point where nearly all descendants of Europe are related, but I would think its many generations earlier than 14th cousins (16 generations).

If you consider the fact that everyone in your family tree probably had two and exactly two parents, and somehow they managed not to inbreed at all, then you'd have 2^16 = 65,536 ancestors from the 1400s.

I'm thinking Europe probably had more people than that, but if you consider those with multiple marriages mixing things up more, families that had a dozen children, etc.... the number of actual blood relatives is probably quite a bit higher.

I'm just glad I don't have to buy Christmas presents for all of my ancestors! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #881050 by X Marks The Spot
Dec 20, 2014 10:16pm
Board
Hi, X!
X was our first official meet as well. A couple of times previously we ran into boxers on the trail, but didn't ask their name or do an exchange (didn't know about it at the time).