Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Friday Distraction - 12/19/14

Friday Distraction - 12/19/14
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Dec 19, 2014 4:30am
Board
Who was the first letterboxer you ever met in person?

I'd been chatting on the Maine board for awhile, but it wasn't until I actually went to my first event that I actually met any other boxers. The first people I met were Happy Daze. I was the second to arrive at the event, but they were already there holding down the fort, so to speak!

Jiffy
Re: Friday Distraction - 12/19/14
Reply to: #880961 by Jiffy
Dec 19, 2014 4:46am
Board
Hikers and Hounds aka Irene and Sewsobizzy. 12 years ago, I think. Now lifelong friends and cohorts in mayhem.
MizS
Dec 19, 2014 5:00am
Board
Casa del Sol at the first event I attended. She was the co-hostess along with Captain Slick Kitty.
Dec 19, 2014 5:33am
Board
When Moth and I started boxing, we managed to rope in some friends (a mother and daughters) to box with us. But we didn't meet other letterboxers for almost two years, until we attended the April Showers Bring Letterboxers event (hosted by Mim and Star Wars Chick) in Worcester, April 2009. There, Ellen of the Travelers 4 spotted our wide-eyed, dazed faces and very kindly had us sit with her while she showed us the ropes. I'll never forget that.
Dec 19, 2014 5:43am
Board
the first letterboxer I met was Flying Frog of Tucson who for a year tried to get me to go letterboxing. The first I exchanged with was Tucson Trickster who finally got me to go with her after she read about it in a magazine. Trickster was nervous about going alone. To my knowledge neither are still boxing.
Dec 19, 2014 5:46am
Board
The late great Safari Man in 2006 when we were boxing his awesome Barlow Loop series. We knocked on his door for his at-home box but didn't get an answer.But he met us 2 boxes down his trail not knowing there were 19 of us?? I don't know who was more surprised him or us!!
Dec 19, 2014 5:47am
Board
It was Wanda and Pete. Cute Cluckers box, Mansfield CT back in the summer of 2002.

BB
Dec 19, 2014 5:49am
Board
Well, technically my cousin since she introduced me to the hobby. We probably met around after her birth... =P

However, after her, I think Trail Troll first spoke with me at an event she was co-hosting, but my first exchange was with Lunagirl and Papa (the other hosts of that event).
Dec 19, 2014 5:54am
Board
My daughter(s) and I were boxing for a few years before attending any events or meeting other people.

Parhelia works at our local library. We had been seeing her there for years without realizing that she was a letterboxer. We were getting to know each other via AQ messages (and finding each other's boxes) before we realized that we knew each other in real life, too!

My first exchange was with Pete of the Merry Pranksters, just two summers ago.
Dec 19, 2014 6:34am
Board
The first Letterboxer we met in person was CHIHUAHUA GRANDE'. She was a schoolteacher at one of the schools near where we lived.
When we first became letterboxers, she and her dog Frank were "FAMOUS" for "FRANK STOPS FOR COFFEE" boxes at ALL (and I do mean ALL ) the local STARBUCKS. She was a scrapbooker too and her boxes always had creative logbooks or something extra !!!
Chihuahua Grande doesn't letterbox anymore and I'm not sure how many of her fun boxes are left, but we have stayed in touch and she and her family are doing well.

Dina B.
The Seekers 1108
Dec 19, 2014 6:37am
Board
The first other boxer I met was Jiggs, the king of Canadian letterboxing. We arrived early to an event to help him bring his barbecue to the park. We've done several trails together since then.
Dec 19, 2014 7:16am
Board
The first boxer I met in person was Mainekokopellian... after chatting a bit online - he wanted to get together to do an exchange... I thought it was a bit weird so I made him meet me where my daughter worked at the time - we did exchanges over Coldstone ice cream and he actually got celtic farie to sing for him ; )

mud
Reply to: #880963 by Mizscarlet
Dec 19, 2014 7:28am
Board
First one I met, was Florida Sunsets, the host of the first event I went to. She was so welcoming to me, showed me what to do, and introduced me to a few people, and I was hooked from then on. Letter boxers are great.

I had been going to geocaching events for a few years, and I chatted more in the one hours at that first letterboxing event, than all the geocaching events, put together. I think since geocaching is such a large hobby, you have to actually help at the events and really make an effort, before you are acknowledged. I did help at a few and also planted some geocaches, but it was probably 5 events in, when people would say more than hello. Maybe some of them are just antisocial, I don't know. I did meet some really nice ones, once I got going...
Reply to: #880982 by mudflinginfools
Dec 19, 2014 7:35am
Board
I thought it was a bit weird

It did seem awkward to me to meet up with geocachers who had seen my name listed as a planter, and I never agreed to go meet them....

But for letterboxing my first "blind" meet up was Bid Red, and she kidnapped me and took me all over Atlanta. My husband was at a forensics convention, and thought I might never be seen again!! Haha!!

Last year, I kidnapped NotMyCircus, who I had only chatted online with, and MADE her go canoeing with me and plant 3 boxes. Now the scary part is there were alligators in the river. I don't know if she told her husband! LOL!
Dec 19, 2014 7:56am
Board
Artboy and Twyla were nice enough to come out and meet me at my house. It was a lot of fun talking about letterboxing and showing them my collection of LTCs. They were of course super sweet people and I enjoyed meeting them very much.
Reply to: #880963 by Mizscarlet
Dec 19, 2014 7:59am
Board
Is Irene still boxing? I believe she was the first boxer I met.......she took me to my first event....the original Boxtoberfest when it was done by BoxingBee. But other than fb we have kind of lost contact. Distance and life got in the way, her life more than mine.

MM
Dec 19, 2014 8:11am
Board
Our first encounter was with the charming Weeping Willow. We were stamping in at one of her boxes located in front of her workplace in Savannah. She walked out of the building, saw us and came over to speak. We had been boxing just a couple of months and were intrigued when she introduced herself by her trail name.
Dec 19, 2014 8:28am
Board
It was at the Treasure Haunt 2004 so I may have actually met someone else first but Amyrica was the first person I exchanged with at the event. We had been boxing for two months and had only found 14 boxes but three of them were planted by her. I have 20 signature stamps from the people we met that night.
Dec 19, 2014 8:30am
Board
I was at a BSF Sorority Social 10/18/12 and heard Kid Book Lady telling the group about how she picked up a hitchhiker on her way from CA to AZ. At first I thought she was crazy. Don't you know that's not safe when you're traveling. She told us about letterboxing and showed us the AQ website and I was hooked. On 10/21/12 found my first stamp. Didn't meet anyone else till 4/6/14 when we went to our first event.
Dec 19, 2014 8:30am
Board
Not long after I started LB'ing, I signed up for (then "Campfire Lady") Kismet's Stamp Camp - a wonderful, big event geared to learning or advancing skills in every phase of the hobby. But technically, the FIRST people I met were Wheelers Have Landed, who were checking in at the same hotel, at the same time, before heading off to the 'Camp'.
Dec 19, 2014 8:46am
Board
Cherokee Rose of GA.
We met in 2004 in the Elmwood/Pinewood Cemetery in Charlotte, NC where she showed me how to do my first exchange. And that's the first time I saw stamps colors with markers too! I just had a store bought stamp for my sig. back then!
Dec 19, 2014 9:49am
Board

For me, it was at the first letterboxing event in the Pacific Northwest at Izzys Pizza. When I walked in the door, I was looking for a "suspicious" group of people, not really sure what anyone looked like, and there was a guy who walked in ahead of me that for reasons I can't remember anymore, seemed like a letterboxer. He was by himself but seemed to be looking for a group of people as well, so I kind of followed behind him and I don't think he even realized I was there.

Turns out the fellow was the Der Mad Stamper. Who I was a huge fan of since he carved such wonderful stamps and nearly all of the first dozen boxes I found were planted by him.

Another notable appearance at that gathering was the famous Amanda from Seattle--that was the first time I had met her. =)

All told, there were about half a dozen of us that showed up. Funhog, Paisley Orca, Lone Wolf (I think?), and.... *thinking* Off the top of my head, that's all I remember.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #880985 by FloridaFour
Dec 19, 2014 10:09am
Board
But for letterboxing my first "blind" meet up was Bid Red, and she kidnapped me and took me all over Atlanta. My husband was at a forensics convention, and thought I might never be seen again!! Haha!!

Last year, I kidnapped NotMyCircus, who I had only chatted online with, and MADE her go canoeing with me and plant 3 boxes. Now the scary part is there were alligators in the river. I don't know if she told her husband! LOL!

Does this mean we have a severe case of letterboxing Stockholm Syndrome?
Dec 19, 2014 10:42am
Board
I logged a find on the newest Don & Gwen box in Seal Beach, and they replied that they were in town for the holidays. They invited Zuhl and I to lunch, where we also met Turtle McQ, GeoGeorgia and a young couple, Ryan and Amanda. I'd been boxing for a year-and-a-half, but had just joined AQ the week before, so I had no idea who they were.

K
Dec 19, 2014 10:51am
Board
For me I think it must have been ypsitucky queen in the fall of 2008. She wanted to make a video about letterboxing for an upcoming library workshop/event she was doing. We met at her sunflower power box and I shot her giving a letterboxing tutorial while finding her own box.
Dec 19, 2014 11:24am
Board
Outside of Flying J, who got me into it, whom I've known all my life, the first boxer I can say I met was One Love Journeying. We were at a gathering, and there were plenty of people there, and it's still a blur, but when she came into the shelter where we were, we instantly knew each other.

It was very cool, and I still regret missing her wedding, and she's on the other side of the country, but she's still awesome and takes a big place in Skootch and my hearts. :)
Dec 19, 2014 12:14pm
Board
The first letterboxer that I talked to was Public Hand, when we were collaborating to try to defeat a Summer of Eevil box, we talked on the phone.

The first Boxers we met in person was Simply MLE and her two lovely daughters as we were boxing our way to Missoula, MT.

We met them again, and Public Hand, and a bunch of other awesome Idaho boxers at our first event, To Catch A Mockingjay, in Boise, this October.

-TheKindlyVikings
Dec 19, 2014 12:42pm
Board
First letterboxer I met was Michele LeBranche who got me started in letterboxing. He encouraged me to go to my first letterboxing event in Gatlinburg. That's when I first met Rowdy and Sarcasmo and we became the three stooges. Boy, those were really some fun times.
Dec 19, 2014 1:35pm
Board
Several people at a gathering at the Long Trail Inn in Vermont. I don't want to leave anyone out, so, for those on the LbNA talk list, the list of people is in these couple of messages https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/letterbox-usa/conversations/topics/2481

BTW, Jiffy, I think this feature is cool. Keep it going.
Dec 19, 2014 1:49pm
Board

It was kimbest at a geocaching event in March 2011. I had recently started letterboxing and I saw (on this site) that he was a letterboxer too, so I was glad to meet him at the event to ask some questions about letterboxing. He actually told me about exchanges, and we did an exchange there.

The next ones were in May 2011: Boxer Lover47 and CW Sun Seeker. I rode with to an event with them, where I met a lot of other boxers.