A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Outings Cards shuffle

Outings Cards shuffle
Board: Rules and Variants
Nov 12, 2014 3:46pm
Board
Original rule:
Randomly select 14 outing card types (there are only 14 types in the base set) using the mini randomizer deck. Order the full sized outing card stacks (9 identical cards per stack) by ink and mile cost in two rows of 7 stacks each. Place the missing box cards and the Eevil stack at the end of the outing rows.

I admit that I did not read the rules carefully and did NOT realize that all of the 14 stacks were supposed to have the SAME cards in it. So when I played with Scouttrekkie I just shuffled the Outings cards and dealt 14 stacks of RANDOM cards (9 per stack). It played fine that way. And I'm thinking that when I get the Expansion set if I play by the standard rules, I'll have to leave out playing with some of the cards, so I might like to continue to just randomly deal 14 stacks of 9 cards just so I have a chance to play all varieties of cards.

So I guess I "invented" a different way of playing that seems to work good just from my lack of attention to reading all the rule details! LOL!
Re: Outings Cards shuffle
Reply to: #876377 by The Wolf Family
Nov 12, 2014 5:55pm
Board
Hey Wolfie now we have two ways to play the game! I guess that answers why we had those other cards we didn't know what to do with.
Reply to: #876385 by scouttrekkie
Nov 12, 2014 6:31pm
Board
I guess that answers why we had those other cards we didn't know what to do with.

Well, if we hadn't stayed up past Aiphid's bed time we might have been able to pull a Phone-a-Friend. :D

But I did find out about the Archeologist Outing card we thought might be an eevil card because it has a negative effect on it. It's just a different kind of strategy to play!

Basically, the Archeologist card is the CHEAPEST card you can purchase (4 miles) with the HIGHEST find count (3 Finds) so it has to have a negative effect (must acquire a Missing Box card = -1 find) to offset that. BUT you could negate the effects of the Missing box card with a Maintenance card (retiring that Missing box card out of your deck). And by doing that, you could end up with the highest F count in the game and win!

Pretty clever actually! Of course, we didn't think of that at the time.... Really want a rematch now!!
Reply to: #876391 by The Wolf Family
Nov 13, 2014 11:43am
Board
Keep the tips coming for when I find a playing partner--I'll already know how to play.
Reply to: #876502 by Topcollector
Nov 13, 2014 4:52pm
Board
Hehehe... I like that too. I usually spend the first game learning rules and strategies from other players. Then the second game I start to really play. ;)

I only played once but would like to play again. We ended the game by exhausting 6 stacks of the Outing cards rather than the eevil cards. We really didn't play many eevil cards. The Trinket Trader ALWAYS starts on the top of the eevil deck and is cost of 8 ink. I think I was using mostly MILES so I did not have as much INK. There are 10 eevil cards and 8 of them require INK to purchase. So if you are going for the eevil cards it might make more sense to stock up more on INK.

I'm not sure why Trinket Trader always needs to be on top. For another rules variant, I may just shuffle the eevil deck and have a RANDOM eevil card on top. That way I'm more likely to get a chance to play different eevil cards. Or so it's possible that MILES start off the eevil deck.