A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Help FL4's owl be Owl-tastic

Help FL4's owl be Owl-tastic
Board: LTC Collective
Nov 12, 2014 6:04am
Board
size is 1.5 x 2 inches.

I have already made 2 ltcs with this stamp, both totally different. And my intention is that no 2 should be the same. So I am up for anything... throw it at me... I have lots of mixed media supplies.

I don't have copic markers, but I have Distress markers and American crafts markers that can be used with a waterbrush. (similar look)

Thanks!

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=130927
Re: Help FL4's owl be Owl-tastic
Reply to: #876251 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:16am
Board
I have an obsession with my alcohol inks, so I would suggest putting the owl over three colors of alcohol inks stamped on glossy card stock. Use an exact to cut out the area between the owl and border (I'm not very good at that though) and then put the whole thing over another layer or two of paper perhaps done in Dylusions sprays, more alcohol inks or distress stains with some added texture like you enjoy working with.
Reply to: #876256 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Nov 12, 2014 6:20am
Board
You think like me! I did try to cut the area between the border out for one of my cards... yikes, i need a new exacto. It did not come out well for that particular card, but I would try it again. I want one of those ones with the finger hole in it... it is on my Christmas list...
Nov 12, 2014 6:22am
Board
Maybe this is going to sound weird, but to me that owl looks like it's made out of rosemary leaves. It makes me think of the Green Man. A herbal theme? It could be a fragrant card, with leaves glued to the paper, perhaps. Probably not rosemary, because it curls up and gets woody, but it might work better if the leaves were pressed in a book, instead of just dried. Or lavender leaves might work even better.
Nov 12, 2014 6:30am
Board
That owl stamp is "Wow!" already, but as small as it is makes it even more so. Did you carve that with a microscope?

The clock is also amazing! Both are wonderful carves!
Nov 12, 2014 6:36am
Board
Not sure if you've done this, but why not make barn doors that open to reveal the owl?
Use your distress inks/blending tools etc, to make the barn wood grain (don't ask me how I've never done it!) I am sure you'd be able to figure it out before me.
Reply to: #876262 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 12, 2014 6:36am
Board
Penfeather...

super cool images those are!!! Interesting idea... I have not tried working with natural materials yet..... I shall ponder that... thanks! I'm thinking using leaves to make imprints for a background... then stamp with some kind of green or brown would be cool. I'm afraid to use actual leaves, but there must be a way to do it without it being too crumbly or bulky.

Oberon kenobi- thanks! I used a regular old Staedtler for most of it.... I used a miniaturized Staedtler for some parts of it, like the eyes.

This is my second carve on the Chinese material by Sweetloveqiner. Takes a little getting used to, but worked well for this image. I actually lost some detail because I cleaned the stamp off with acetone to remove the transfer image.... it kind of melted some parts off. (don't do that!!!) I can do that with OZ cut but now realize I can't for SLQ.
Reply to: #876264 by photopam
Nov 12, 2014 6:39am
Board
Barn door idea is fun! I would make a background for wood by using Acrylic paint. I have accidentally made one that looks very much like barn door, so I would try to replicate that...

there's scrapbook paper that looks like wood, but I am not a fan of it.
Reply to: #876265 by FloridaFour
Nov 12, 2014 6:57am
Board
Leaves would be tricky, because they can get so thin and fragile when they are dried. That's why I was thinking rosemary or lavender *might* work. They seem thicker and sturdier. I don't know if you could get them to dry flat enough though. Also, I've never tried drying them that way, so I don't know how brittle they'd get.

I think it's time for a little experimentation... I just happen to have both rosemary and lavender, so I'll try pressing a few leaves and report back with my results.

If you want to experiment with natural materials, birch bark might be easier to work with. It is flexible and doesn't get all brittle and nasty. People used to make containers and canoes, and I don't know what-all out of it, so it must be pretty tough.
Reply to: #876269 by Penfeather
Nov 12, 2014 7:06am
Board
I made bookmarks about a week ago with maple leaves that were turning. I dried flat, glued on the paper, laminated it. Hopefully they leaves will remain pretty. Idea!
Reply to: #876269 by Penfeather
Nov 12, 2014 7:11am
Board
I have seen a few ltcs where people used flower petals and laminated them.

I live in Florida, and have never seen birch trees here, but we have lots of sturdy leaves. I wouldn't want to do it for a whole set of LTCs, but for just one, would be interesting. I have tried doing impressions using gesso and acrylic paint, and then painting over them to get definition...

rice could be sprinkled onto wet acrylic paint or even inks and then scraped off to reveal a rice/tiny leaflike pattern...