Search Edit Search

Read Thread: LBNA down?

Re: LBNA down?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #874356 by Bungalow Boxer
Oct 28, 2014 11:02am
Board
I can't even get onto LBNA.

It was up this morning but I just tried again and got an error message.
Oct 28, 2014 11:04am
Board
I get an error message as well...
Oct 28, 2014 11:04am
Board
I was able to load the page and do a search.

You might try adding a ? To the end of the URL and see if that works (if it doesn't already have a ? in it).
Oct 28, 2014 11:07am
Board
About every other time I've gone to their site for the past couple weeks, it's been an error. Usually "unable to load page".
Oct 28, 2014 11:54am
Board
It allowed me to click a link to a clue but not load the home page
Reply to: #874365 by Baqash
Oct 28, 2014 12:09pm
Board
Yea, I wasn't able to get on anything before, and now it's intermittent about what it will allow. At least I was able to get most of my logging of finds done!

BB
Oct 28, 2014 2:13pm
Board
It seems like this is being asked every other day...
Reply to: #874372 by RIclimber
Oct 28, 2014 2:57pm
Board
It seems like this is being asked every other day...

Perhaps the topic needs its own board.
Reply to: #874375 by Sir Braemoor
Oct 28, 2014 3:09pm
Board
Has anyone clicked on "contact webmasters" when the site is up and asked what the problem is? Or written to Choi on fb? Some of you are fb friends with him and his wife.

MM
Reply to: #874377 by MissMoon
Oct 29, 2014 5:02am
Board
I have...over a month ago. No response.
I've tried to get the scoop because I feel there is a story there...but nothing.
Reply to: #874412 by iSignASLily
Oct 29, 2014 8:18am
Board
I have...over a month ago. No response.

That's very disappointing. I wrote last night. I'm hoping that if enough people write maybe there will be a response. Though it shouldn't be this way.....but.....
Reply to: #874435 by MissMoon
Oct 29, 2014 9:50am
Board
Is it always down in the same manner as it is at present (ie, unable to connect to the site (what my browser says)), as opposed to (connected, waiting, and no content being loaded)?

The problem at present is a DNS error (unable to connect is the symptom, as opposed to connected, no content). Without getting too geeky, what is happening is that the translation from www.letterboxing.org to the numeric address of the server is failing. If you know the numeric address of the server, you may or may not be able to actually connect, and maybe even get content, depending how they are set up. (AQ appears to disallow this, or at least it didn't work for me, as does my server, but, for example, you can type in 156.151.59.35 and get to www.sun.com. To find this number on a windows system, go to a command prompt, type in nslookup, then type in www.letterboxing.org. This will fail until the DNS error is fixed).

I don't know how they are set up, but DNS errors are usually the fault of the service provider, not the webmasters running the server. The larger the operation, the more likely it us under their control, tho. Most operations that small don't run their own DNS, so a possible explanation is a configuration problem at the service provider's DNS server, or a router problem getting to those servers (they are supposed to be on multiple servers on different networks so this doesn't happen, but it still does fail once in a while).

Another possible explanation is failure to pay the rent on the domain name. The minimum rental period is a year, so this would generally only happen once.

A side effect of this is that you may not be able to mail them about it either, unless you use an e-mail address not at that domain to let them know (this isn't always true, as the mail part of DNS is different than the address part, and one can be misconfigured while the other is fine).

Well, its all speculation really. Its not going to help you connect, but maybe or maybe not you find it interesting. I used to be a DNS engineer, so I guess that's why I'm responding :)

And as I finish typing, their DNS is back. Next time this happens, try http://69.65.127.36/ and see what happens. No assurances it will work, of course.
Reply to: #874440 by Sir Braemoor
Oct 29, 2014 9:55am
Board
The IP address worked immediately. I did have to re-sign into the site

Jaxx
Oct 29, 2014 11:24am
Board
Just almost immediately comes up unavailable in my Google Chrome. Details says DNS error.

I figured it was some kind of server problem.

The ip address works for me also. thanks. And yes I find it interesting. :)

But contrary to what some may think, quite a few people still link to their clues on lbna so those clues are not available when the 'clue' link is clicked on. And that's not good. Maybe for that reason, admin here could try to find out from admin at lbna what the issue is?
Reply to: #874444 by MissMoon
Oct 29, 2014 11:27am
Board
Clue links I've tried work even when I couldn't go to the home page.
Reply to: #874444 by MissMoon
Oct 29, 2014 11:56am
Board
If you know the numeric address of the server, you may or may not be able to actually connect, and maybe even get content, depending how they are set up. (AQ appears to disallow this, or at least it didn't work for me, as does my server, but, for example, you can type in 156.151.59.35 and get to www.sun.com.

Funny you should mention that.... The reason I did that was because some of my code expected URLs to be in a certain format, and I already had big whopping IF statements to make things work on my development machine during testing since I use 127.0.0.1 as the domain there. (If the development machine is running, replace "atlasquest.com" with "127.0.0.1" type of thing.) And clues in particular were the most problematic since AQ just looked at the URL to figure out if it's an AQ-hosted clue or not. And what happened if someone stored an AQ-hosted clue using an IP address, then the IP address changed? (Which has happened several times in the last 10 years.) It was very temperamental. And years ago, I realized it would simplify a lot of code if I just required the URL to be in a certain format: www.atlasquest.com

So that's why it does that. One of the very first thing AQ does when you connect to a page is check that the domain is "www.atlasquest.com" or "127.0.0.1" and, if not, automatically redirects to that (depending on if it's the live site or my development site).

The reason I think it's funny you should mention that now, though, is because I happen to be working on a pretty major update of how the clues on AQ are stored and using URLs to determine if a clue is an AQ-hosted clue or not is a thing of a past. The reason it does that, after the Next Big Update, will largely be obsolete. The one place where it'll still have trouble is with the SSL cert which I had originally set up to use www.atlasquest.com and not just atlasquest.com, but to change the cert to work for both is a whole 'nuther ball of worms I don't really want to deal with and would likely cause some scary certificate warnings at best if I tried to change it. (If the cert gives warnings for the IP address--I figure that's the user's problem--not mine!) So I'll keep redirecting "atlasquest.com" to "www.atlasquest.com" because of that SSL cert. But that's the only reason for it once the Next Big Update happens. Well that, and Google ads from the tutorials don't seem to work if you use just the IP address. That doesn't really break the website, though--just the Google ads.

But contrary to what some may think, quite a few people still link to their clues on lbna so those clues are not available when the 'clue' link is clicked on.

One thing to remember--it's been a long time since anyone has really ever had to worry about this sort of thing--but on the box details page, there is a "Cache" button. If you click on that, you can see the cached version of the clue on remote websites including LbNA. When you use the feature to print multiple clues at once from your search results, it's actually the cached version of clues that get used since there's not really a good way to merge multiple different webpages into a single page. So even when LbNA is down, those clues will still print from that page. It's also the cached version of clues that get passed to mobile apps like Box Radar. (As long as the clue comes from AQ and not directly from LbNA.)

Maybe for that reason, admin here could try to find out from admin at lbna what the issue is?

I actually did email Choi a few days ago, but I sent AQ mail since that was the easiest way I could think of to contact him. He hasn't logged in since I contacted him, though. Maybe he's on vacation. Good for him! =)

-- Ryan
Oct 31, 2014 10:02am
Board
Without getting too geeky, what is happening is that the translation from www.letterboxing.org to the numeric address of the server is failing. [...] AQ appears to disallow this, or at least it didn't work for me, as does my server, but, for example, you can type in 156.151.59.35 and get to www.sun.com.

There is a way to set up web servers so that you can have multiple web servers on the same IP address. For instance (just a made up example) www.atlasquest.com and www.letterboxing.org could both be at IP address 192.168.0.1 (a non-reachable address given for this example). When you type in either of these addresses you will get that IP address. Then the server asks your computer who did you really want to talk to? Your computer gives that information and you get connected.

The protocols for having multiple web servers on a single IP address was just beginning to be used when I was in a job where I took care of that stuff. I'm sure that it's more widespread now, but I don't know if Atlas Quest's web provider does that type of web server.

This protocol would be like calling someone at a business. You look up the phone number in the phone book (like DNS: Domain Name System), call the number and get an operator who asks, "Who did you want to reach?" You give the answer and you are connected to their phone. But in your computer all of this takes place behind the scenes so you don't even know (or need to care) how or why it is done.
Reply to: #874649 by Oberon_Kenobi
Oct 31, 2014 10:42am
Board
I'm sure that it's more widespread now, but I don't know if Atlas Quest's web provider does that type of web server.

I have two unique IP addresses that I can pretty much do whatever I want with. The first one hosts most of my sites: Atlas Quest, The Soda Can Stove, Ryan's a Total Goober, etc. The second one hosts Walking 4 Fun and that's it, I believe. For some reason, I couldn't get AQ and W4F to play together on the same IP address with their different SSL certs. Seems like each cert wanted a unique IP address. I'm not sure if it's just because I didn't know what I was doing or because different SSL certificates need different IP addresses, but I had two so I just used a different one.

So AQ is definitely sharing the IP address with other websites--but AQ is the "main" site on that IP.

-- Ryan