A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: How am I losing weight?

Re: How am I losing weight?
Board: Weight Watching Boxers
Reply to: #869072 by Baqash
Sep 17, 2014 5:21pm
Board
when I was only counting calories it wasn't as effective either.

Agreed. Eating 1200 calories of Twinkies is not going to help you lose but eating 1400 calories of healthy foods will. Carbs were/are my biggest weakness. I still eat them just not like I did. It was very difficult to cut back on those. I can go months without eating a dessert but even a day without bread is difficult for me. Part of my problem is that with my Hypoglycemia, I'm supposed to get a certain amount of carbs so I don't pass out or have horrendous headaches. I trained myself to make sure I ate "enough" carbs and ended up eating too many. The nice thing is that once you get into a routine of healthy eating, if you splurge every so often you don't gain the weight back. I went on a girlfriend getaway with my bff a couple of weeks ago. The food at the B&B as well as in the town in general were pretty high carb but eating like that for 2 days didn't put my body into shock and I didn't even gain a pound back.
Reply to: #869074 by Dizzy
Oct 10, 2014 10:44am
Board
Eating 1200 calories of Twinkies is not going to help you lose but eating 1400 calories of healthy foods will.

That was my problem........mindless eating of the wrong foods for the wrong reasons. I have jeans ranging from size 6 to 16 in my closet and have lost count of the number of different "diets" I've been on over the years. The last one about 3 years ago I lost 15 lbs but when I quit, gained 20.

I heard on some TV talk show that a person's waist size should be less than one-half of their height, that belly fat was the most unhealthy. I found my tape measure and my waist was over 7 inches more than one-half my height.

I downloaded the "Lose It" app on my phone, saved loseit.com on my computer and since Sept 3 have recorded everything I've eaten and what exercise I've done, which is mostly walking Scooter and Chipper. I can add recipes and even scan a barcode if the food isn't in their list. Keeping track has made me more aware of what I'm eating and to make better choices. I'm trying to eat around 50% carbohydrates, 30% fat and 20% protein. Knowing what I've eaten during the day helps me decide what to fix for dinner and whether my afternoon snack should be a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts.

So far 5 lbs. down, but a lot to go. I'm glad I found this board to help keep me motivated.
Reply to: #871993 by Scooters Mom
Oct 10, 2014 8:45pm
Board
That was my problem........mindless eating of the wrong foods for the wrong reasons.

I think we've all been there at least once. My poor choices weren't because it was even food that I wanted... that would at least make sense. My poor choices were because I was too lazy to prepare the foods that sounded better and were healthier. It's a whole lot easier to grab a bagged snack like chips than it is to wash and cut some veggies. Now it's pretty tough to grab chips since I don't buy them anymore.

I heard on some TV talk show that a person's waist size should be less than one-half of their height, that belly fat was the most unhealthy. I found my tape measure and my waist was over 7 inches more than one-half my height.

I'm getting closer. When I started this journey, my waist was 10 or 11 inches more than half my height. Now it is only 3 inches more than half my height.