A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Comments in order of date posted instead of found

Re: Comments in order of date posted instead of found
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #857707 by MO UR4Me
Jul 13, 2014 5:15am
Board
Could it please be changed back to sort by the Find Date?

It's never been sorted by the find date--mostly because comments aren't connected to finds in the database at all. People can leave comments on attempts as well, or they can leave comments even if they don't record a find or attempt at all. They can also leave multiple comments--for instance, if someone checks up on a letterbox that they've found in the past, it wouldn't be a new find but the might want to leave a comment about a problem with the box.

So the reason the comments aren't sorted by the find date is simply because in the database, there's absolutely no connection between finds and comments. On the interface, AQ let's you do all sorts of stuff at once--vote for a box, leave a comment, write the owner of the box, etc. But it's just handy to put them all on the same page since people usually do them both at the same time, but I could have just as well created a "leave comment" button that people have to use that's completely separated from the "record find" stuff.

I noticed it on my By The Butterflies 2 when I went in to post a maintenance item that I had replaced the logbook and someone had a comment after my date saying that it needed a new logbook!

You can always record a new comment on top of that. But it doesn't really hurt anything either if someone brings an extra logbook that isn't needed. *shrug*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #857718 by Green Tortuga
Jul 13, 2014 8:50am
Board
OK, well that makes sense, but can cause a box to look like an attempt is the most recent activity when it really isn't.

it doesn't really hurt anything either if someone brings an extra logbook

In that example, no, it's not a big deal at all. It's when someone writes "we couldn't find it, is it still active?" and then a week later someone else finds it, but the attempt comment is on top.

How about displaying the comment date (just like the find date) so that the user can change it if they want their comment to be the find date? I know, they probably won't notice it if they don't log their find right away either, so it's probably not worth it.

I can also just delete the comment. Much easier for you; I just thought I'd throw this idea out there in case anyone else finds value in it. :-)
Reply to: #857707 by MO UR4Me
Jul 13, 2014 11:23am
Board
It bothers me a bit about that, too. I try to make it a point and write in my comment (regardless if I found something that very day or a different day) what my find date was. I don't know if it helps anyone out, but it seems logical to me.
Reply to: #857756 by MO UR4Me
Jul 13, 2014 1:38pm
Board
Assumptions are always bad. Looking at the find dates is where you look to know when a box was found. Looking at the dates on comments and assuming those are find dates is a mistakes in the first place.

If a comment mentions needed maintenance that has already been performed, simply delete it. That's all part of maintaining your listings. And with mystery boxes, I sometimes deliberately log them much later and want that comment to not seem connected. And I leave comments with clue updates on abandoned boxes I check up on years after I initially found them. There are lots of reasons finds and comments should have no connection.

K
Reply to: #857822 by Kelsung
Jan 31, 2017 5:00am
Board
How funny that over two years later, I go looking for a thread on this topic and find that I started one!

I understand and agree with comments not being linked to finds, but I would like to be able to edit the date on comments that I make on other's boxes. I'm going back through my book and realizing that some finds I recorded using an app didn't really get recorded, so it dates my comments six months later. Sure, people should look at the find dates, but they may look at the comments separately and even print them out. An experienced boxer will sort it all out, of course, but there are many people who have not yet discovered most of the nuances of this hobby yet.

Maybe it's just part of the game, but I think editable comment dates would be a nice feature someday.
Reply to: #941346 by MO UR4Me
Jan 31, 2017 8:25am
Board
On LBNA I tried the "Comment Only" option on a series I found originally in 2010, thinking it would leave my original find date alone. It didn't, it left my comment and deleted the find. So I redid the comments of box maintenance with a the find date.