Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: "split clues"

"split clues"
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Jul 5, 2014 6:36am
Board
There are some new (to me, at least) features of the "Clues! Clues! Clues!" pages. I love the format, but I'm wondering what "Use single-column layout" and "Allow split clues" refer to. What are split clues? Thanks for any help!!
Re: "split clues"
Reply to: #856323 by Ralph Spoilsport
Jul 5, 2014 7:16am
Board
You're right. It is new, and I love it. Thank you Ryan!!!!!

Recent Thread: What do all the options for printing multiple clues mean?

Wiki Help: What do all the options for printing multiple clues mean?

When I unchecked "use single column layout" to allow two columns, I had to change my print setting to 80% before two columns showed up in the print preview.

And NOT allowing split clues is so much better than a clue spilling over to the second page when printing multiple clues.
Reply to: #856326 by Scooters Mom
Jul 5, 2014 7:45am
Board
Thanks for the info!! And I would like to echo your "thank you, Ryan"
Jul 5, 2014 8:38am
Board
When I unchecked "use single column layout" to allow two columns, I had to change my print setting to 80% before two columns showed up in the print preview.

That's probably because your Usability Preferences are set to use large type. AQ breaks up columns so they stay at least "25 ems" wide--think of an em as roughly the width of an uppercase M and you wouldn't be far off the mark. So there needs to be enough space for 50 ems across the page (not including margins!) before it'll break into two columns--which is why you'll never see columns on smaller devices like smartphones (which just aren't wide enough for that sort of thing). But you also won't see them on (most) printer-sized paper if you're using "large" or "huge" fonts on AQ. (Unless, as you noted, you shrink the print size.) If you want to print regularly with 2 columns, I'd suggest changing your print settings on AQ so you won't have to mess around with the print settings on your browser every time you want to print.

-- Ryan
Jul 5, 2014 9:14am
Board
I'm just not seeing any difference in the results with the two column options. And I've got small text selected, so that shouldn't be the issue.
Reply to: #856334 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 9:18am
Board
Another thing.... Older browsers won't support some of these options.

If you're using the most recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari or IE, no problem! Most people have relatively current versions of Firefox, Chrome and Safari and all features will work fine. Internet Explorer often cannot be updated on older operating systems, however, so if you're on an older computer with Internet Explorer, many of these options simply won't work. The table of contents, QR codes, and hide box details options should work with all browsers on all computers since they don't rely on new CSS constructs to work correctly. The other options... may not work if your browser is too old.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #856339 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 9:24am
Board
I'm on my work machine, and I'm representin' a version of IE that is so old I have to use a hand crank to get it started. Lemme see what happens when I make the switch to google chrome.
Reply to: #856339 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 9:27am
Board
yep... that did it!
Reply to: #856334 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 1:35pm
Board
If you want to print regularly with 2 columns, I'd suggest changing your print settings on AQ so you won't have to mess around with the print settings on your browser every time you want to print.

That took care of it. I did have the print preference set to large text. With "normal text" on AQ I had to change my browser print setting 90% to get 2 columns, but when I changed the printed material preference to "small text" the clues print in 2 columns without changing the print settings on my browser. Thanks.
Reply to: #856370 by Scooters Mom
Jul 5, 2014 4:57pm
Board
With "normal text" on AQ I had to change my browser print setting 90% to get 2 columns, but when I changed the printed material preference to "small text" the clues print in 2 columns without changing the print settings on my browser.

Hmm.... On my computer, a text size of "normal" does the trick. It might be that the print area of your printer is different than mine, but it could also be that your page settings might have wider margins than mine as well.

But I figure that normal-size text ought to be small enough to break into two columns and as far as I'm concerned, it's a bug that it's not! So I changed the minimum width for a column to be from 25 ems to 20 ems. Hopefully that should fix it for you.

I kind of want to retire the screen and print text size preferences completely because browsers already do that so well on their own. Often time, better than AQ can do it since AQ doesn't know how wide your browser is but your browser does know! And browsers will increase the size of photos and icons which AQ generally doesn't. Not to mention that AQ doesn't really add much in terms of functionality. Seems like it would be a lot less complicated just to hand that job over the browser and ditch those options completely from AQ.

-- Ryan