A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Ink do's and don't rant

Ink do's and don't rant
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 5, 2007 8:02pm
Board
WARNING:

This is a rant. Some areas of the net would label it Flame bait. If you're sensitive to these things, don't read it, otherwise you may feel the need to yell at me, and my unresponsiveness will only make you more angry.

If you get a PLB, hypothetically speaking, and the owner of the stamp has intended it be stamped in black ink, is it ok to cover it in some other sparkly ink color and then mail it on unwashed? I think not.

Or, say it's obviously a colorful stamp, and when you start inking it up you notice a bunch of black ink coming off on your markers because the previous user just used a black pad to stamp... shouldn't this stamp have arrived washed? I think so.

Yeah, glitter is fun. But not every stamp is meant to make your logbook shimmer like a fairy.

Is it SO HARD to buy appropriate ink? These are PLBs for goodness sake. If you're paying out the cash to mail things, and if you're sitting in your dry home, can't you use the intended inks?? Shouldn't we be?? You can't make a half-way commitment to these things. You're in it all the way. Pay for markers, pay for tape, pay for DC. If you can't, then you probably need to use your money to pay the rent or your student loan...or your internet access.

I'm so frustrated. My good marvy markers are turning to crap from these unexpectedly wrongly inked stamp residues. I think stamps should arrive inked as the owner of the stamp intended them. That way, they never need to be washed at all.

I'm in so many rings and singles right now you couldn't possibly know who I'm speaking about, but if you resemble these remarks, shame on your lazy butt. And, if you're "mad at me" now, I couldn't care less.

FLAME on. Bring it. I've said what I want to say. You can't change my mind. I'm not going to reply to anyone who rises to my vent thinking I'm baiting flames.

*grump*
*rant*

LG.
Re: Ink do's and don't rant
Reply to: #76224 by LibraryGrrl
Mar 5, 2007 8:09pm
Board
Washing? What is this word you speak of? I only know "carve...plant...ink...logbook"....yes...these I know! Washing? Doesn't that involve laundry or dishes or something? No way...not gonna do it! LOL Okay....*whine*...maybe if it's a stamp...maybe I'll wash it! Can I just put them in the dishwasher? LOL

Oh...and....there's glitter ink?! DUDE...keep all glitter away from my stamps! LOL I hate glitter...and bubbles...and anything else that's so sticky or messy that you just can't ever get rid of...I think I STILL have glitter glue stuck on something in my kitchen...or one of my kids is sneaking it. I find those little bitty pieces of glitter all over the freakin' place!

We need an anti-glitter motto! LOL

D5 Mama
*still tweaked from indoor bubbles...so messy...bubbles...eww....shudder*
Reply to: #76225 by Smimle
Mar 5, 2007 8:13pm
Board
I don't know how it got there, but I have a piece of glitter stuck on my signature stamp. I'm in a ton of rings and it has been there for months. I don't think it's going anywhere.
Mar 5, 2007 8:16pm
Board
Perhaps--since not everyone is going to listen no matter how persuasive your rant is--you should take the precaution of washing the stamp before you use your good marvy markers on them....

Sheba
Mar 5, 2007 8:54pm
Board
Here is my rant on 'what NOT to do' rants

It would be nice if the owners of the PLB rings mentioned this in the intorduction time when they remind us of things like where to put tape on the envelopes. I am one of those amazingly annoying people who just don't notice details sometimes and until someone else complained about this before, I never realized that stamp cleaning was an expectation. I did always do my best to use the same color ink. As soon as I realized I needed to do a little clean up, I have cheerfully done so. (VERY VERY sorry for my pre-knowledge behavior)
However, I am sure there are others out there like I was, who are new to this and need the helpful hints, instead of just happening to come upon a 'rant'. Maybe there needs to be a general postal etiquette explainer. This could prevent future rants, but probably not. Then the rants will include:
"We even have an poatal etiquette explainer thing and they STILL refuse to keep the stamps clean!!"
I am sure there are those who will never care, but there are many like me, who want to care, but aren't sure how. Give us some more info and we do our best!

't'
dtandfambly
Reply to: #76232 by dtandfambly
Mar 5, 2007 9:21pm
Board
And just how does one wash a stamp that has been lovingly hand carved? Is it PZCUt, the pink stuff or eraser? i know of many ways to clean a stamp according to certain stamp manufacturers. Only use their stamp cleaner, soap and water, baby wipes, simple green, window cleaner. etc etc etc. i clean my stamps, hand carved and manufactured before and after use. Some people swear by never cleaning stamps. Some stamps you can't clean because they have had permanent ink left on them on purpose. (the whole conditioning conversation) To clean or not to clean that is not the question but the quandary.

deniserows
and got her hand literally slapped by a Stampin' Up demonstrator for not using the right side of the stamp cleaning pad. OMG!
Reply to: #76237 by deniserows
Mar 5, 2007 9:24pm
Board
Quote and got her hand literally slapped by a Stampin' Up demonstrator for not using the right side of the stamp cleaning pad. OMG!

There's a right side? Uh oh! Which side is the right side? I have one of those things...I love it...but didn't know there was a right and wrong side to it!

D5 Mama
Mar 5, 2007 9:34pm
Board
Not that I would swear (or even swear by!... ahem) anything on a rant thread....nor dream of suggesting a method for someone else's stamp or anything....nor having done a proper postal yet (only the postcard type) and all..

Is that enough disclaimers yet? I like to think of them as my asbestos suit. Ain't it PREtty?

Anyway ....while working on my own stamps and repeatedly inking up to see what still needs to be done...and you know here at home, not out seeking traditional boxes....where I have indoor plumbing and all...which I hope is where I also hope to find myself when/if I get involved with postals:

Well...call me old-fashioned...but I run my own stamps of all materials....under this thing called running water, then dry carefully with a paper towel.

But that's just me...and it's free.

pre
:-)
Mar 5, 2007 11:24pm
Board
Quote got her hand literally slapped by a Stampin' Up demonstrator for not using the right side of the stamp cleaning pad.

The next thing you're gonna tell us is that you got into a fist fight with the Tupperware Lady.

Sheesh. What's the world coming to?

Lisa
Reply to: #76227 by Sheba
Mar 6, 2007 5:31am
Board
Quote Perhaps--since not everyone is going to listen no matter how persuasive your rant is--you should take the precaution of washing the stamp before you use your good marvy markers on them....

Sheba

Darn it! You took the words right out of my mouth.

But I'll amend that by carrying this out of the house and onto the trail...

Once upon a time, on an obscure list of "What's in Your Bag?", there was mention of having a ziploc bag containing wet paper towels for cleaning stamps while you were out on the trail. That would before (in case the previous finder wasn't all that courteous) and after (so you can show the next finder how courteous you are) you stamp in. You could also carry dry paper towels and use the water from your water bottle...

... PROVIDED that it's NOT one of those flavored waters!!

One last point:

DO NOT use PIGMENT or CHALK inks to color box stamps, ESPECIALLY those with super-fine detail, because that stuff gets wedged into the fine groove and WILL NOT come out with just the damp PTs that people carry around!

Same goes for glitter and those stinkin' multi-colored inkpads. Ugh.
Mar 6, 2007 5:44am
Board
Uh oh! I just RSVP'd for my first Stampin' Up party! Maybe I should rethink that!

*mumbling to self*

gotta use the right side of the cleaning pad....is it marked?....I sure hope it's marked....what if it isn't marked?......I'm gonna have to ask.....*sigh*

moonshowr
Mar 6, 2007 6:14am
Board
Quote when you start inking it up you notice a bunch of black ink coming off on your markers because the previous user just used a black pad to stamp...

Ok...so when this happens, I clean the stamp as best I can. But sometimes depending on what kind of ink was used, not all of the black comes off. So do I procede to ruin my markers or give in and also stamp in black?

Sometimes it's not the previous stamper's fault that the stamp color has been changed. It may have been changed several stops before. Please don't assume it was the person before you that chose to disregard the creator's color suggestion.
Reply to: #76232 by dtandfambly
Mar 6, 2007 7:08am
Board
Quote Give us some more info and we do our best!

It doesn't help when people don't READ what the box owner have written. I had a postal with two stamps - one that basically required the use of metallic ink and the other that didn't. I specifically asked in the logbook that the metallic ink NOT BE USED on the second stamp - it was an outline and looked best in black. But when I got the postal home, sure enough, there was metallic ink residue on that second stamp. Arrrrrrrrrrgh! People, people, people - make sure you read the logbook before stamping in case there are any special instructions.

TG
Reply to: #76316 by Booknut
Mar 6, 2007 8:38am
Board
Quote There are several such well-written and detailed explanations, especially the ones to be found in the Files section of the Yahoo Postal Letterboxing group.

Ok, I am not one to complain much, but I am finding it a bit frustrating to keep being told to go join such and such a group over on Yahoo... I am already a member of a few Yahoo groups, and I have no interest in joining every single Yahoo group out there just to be sure I don't miss something that may or may not exist in their Files section. I realize they can be a good source of information, but I would rather be told about places that are readily available and do not require joining yet another group =o)

*stepping off my box now, please do not throw vegetation* =o)
Rhea
Reply to: #76316 by Booknut
Mar 6, 2007 8:57am
Board
I was apparently under the misguided direction that ONE of the many purposes of AQ, is to have a convenient place to find the information I need to be an informed letterboxer. I don't like the idea of joining many Yahoo groups. I like AQ. And there are others like me. I realize that no ring leader wants to list a zillion rules with each postal, but if the ringleader feels strongly about a few, they should mention them. If you want us to be "informed" boxers, inform us and don't get offended when we make mistakes out of ignorance. Or discreetly contact boxers with your concerns. I have on one occassion explained to another PLBer some of the 'how-tos' they weren't getting, with no hard feelings between us.
My point being, sure I am going to make more mistakes. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I do something that I didn't even know I shouldn't do, just let me know and I am happy to change. And so are other folks, I am sure. Give us the benefit of the doubt before you jump to conclusions of inconsiderate slobbery as the cause.
Now if I know and don't change, shame on me! Rant away....

't'
dtandfambly
Yahoo groups (was: Ink do's and don't rant)
Reply to: #76325 by Booknut
Mar 6, 2007 9:45am
Board
Quote If you "keep being told" to join the postal letterboxing group

Two things.. I did not mean me just me, but people in general... and I was not referring just to this particular group, more like the Yahoo groups in general. Just that I have seen the answers to question lately consisting of "go to join such and such a group on Yahoo and get your answer there"

I agree with dtandfambly that I see AQ as a source of info and would much rather have the answers here and not have to join a bunch of other groups. Besides it can get very complicted and work intensive if I have to search every singe group and letterboxing site out there for information.

Please do not think I am mad at you or at anyone who suggests the Yahoo groups. The are great and can be a valuable source of info. I just keep seeing them as the end of conversation and not necissarily a solution. There was another question recently where the Yahoo groups were the answer and I could never figure out which one they ment because there was no Yahoo group listed by the name they suggested. Frustrating because I was interested in the info but the question was never actually answered here on AQ and no one could tell me exacly what group to join (I was going to join get the info and then quit after sharing with the person who originally asked the question).

For the record I think it is a good idea to have some more do's and don't tutorials on AQ (I know that Ryan is working on some)...

Again, I am not angry, just a bit frustrated, hey, it was not even my question to begin with! =o)

Rhea
Re: Yahoo groups (was: Ink do's and don't rant)
Reply to: #76346 by The Gillespie Tribe
Mar 6, 2007 9:52am
Board
Quote QuoteIf you "keep being told" to join the postal letterboxing group
Two things.. I did not mean me just me, but people in general... and I was not referring just to this particular group, more like the Yahoo groups in general. Just that I have seen the answers to question lately consisting of "go to join such and such a group on Yahoo and get your answer there"

I agree with dtandfambly that I see AQ as a source of info and would much rather have the answers here and not have to join a bunch of other groups. Besides it can get very complicted and work intensive if I have to search every singe group and letterboxing site out there for information.

Please do not think I am mad at you or at anyone who suggests the Yahoo groups. The are great and can be a valuable source of info. I just keep seeing them as the end of conversation and not necissarily a solution. There was another question recently where the Yahoo groups were the answer and I could never figure out which one they ment because there was no Yahoo group listed by the name they suggested. Frustrating because I was interested in the info but the question was never actually answered here on AQ and no one could tell me exacly what group to join (I was going to join get the info and then quit after sharing with the person who originally asked the question).

For the record I think it is a good idea to have some more do's and don't tutorials on AQ (I know that Ryan is working on some)...

Again, I am not angry, just a bit frustrated, hey, it was not even my question to begin with! =o)

Rhea

First off I absolutly HATE yahoo groups! They are the most un-userfriendly things on the face of the planet. I think yahoo really needs to step up to the plate and redo their grops pages and bring them into the year 2007

second as for the AQ being a source for more info..... OH just you wait and see!!!! Good things are on the horizon! You should know that Ryan always seems to be a couple step ahead at all times!!

ok I have said to much already! ;-)

chadams
Reply to: #76334 by Booknut
Mar 6, 2007 9:52am
Board
Booknut *hug* no offence. Please do not think I am mad at you (or offended)... it is so hard to convey emotion when typing. I was just commenting on something I saw as a growing issue lately. Maybe people do not even realize it since it is probably scattered over several boards (I don not keep track of what is where)...

I guess it is never a bad thing to be told that there is information out there, even if it does mean joining another group to get it...

*big smile*
Rhea
Reply to: #76334 by Booknut
Mar 6, 2007 11:32am
Board
I am not in the least offended by the Yahoo suggestion. Sorry if it came across that way. I jsut find keeping up with the groups a hassle.
Also, I get the whole ink thing. Just please be patient and understanding with newbies, everyone. It can be confusing.

't'
dtandfambly
leaving this discussion before it turns into a lemur, o my!!
Reply to: #76386 by dtandfambly
Mar 6, 2007 7:22pm
Board
Yahoo Groups
- Pain in the patookie! It's just not productive to read all the messages - me toos or otherwise. I get digests from the groups that I've joined and still they pile up. I choose to come to AQ with my limited online time.

Ranting about what people don't know/don't do!
- I'm betting the problem is more a lack of understanding about what is required rather than laziness. However, all the sniping on this topic makes me have some doubts and concerns about the postals that I have signed up for. Heaven forbid that I annoy others by my participation, actions or lack thereof. I would have thought such a thing impossible before, but I see that this is not the case.

Can anyone Afford to be in your Postal?
- I have looked and saw no mention of income criteria for postal letterbox rings. I was shocked to see someone suggest that if you can't afford all the different markers and inks that someone might suggest you buy that you shouldn't participate in postals. "...spend your money on rent...." etc. Is such really called for? Money is a sensitive subject in any group where social economic levels vary. Should anyone really suggest financial irresponsibility on the part of others. I would think not. If this type of thing is acceptable in your circles then I am seriously sorry that you have been exposed to people of such poor personal character.

A few people suggested that you take it private and discuss the situation with the person who has made the mistake. Sounds like good advice to me. A little patience and understanding go a long way folks.

Tee
Reply to: #76473 by Shadohart
Mar 7, 2007 10:20am
Board
Just to add an different viewpoint - Use any colour or kind of ink you want on my stamps. Postal or wild, use whatever colours you like, and clean them off afterwards (a damp paper towel is fine). I don't even always use the same colours on my own stamps every time. Don't feel constrained by the colours I put in the logbook - be creative, and do whatever you think looks best. I am not particular. My stamps are not great works of art or anything, they're just for fun.

I do respect other people's requests, of course, so if the sender or planter wants only black ink, or no pigment ink, or whatever, please do request it specifically. Letterboxers are generally good-natured and will gladly comply with your wishes, but you do need to make your wishes known - we're not psychic, and I had no idea people were getting upset about the wrong colour of ink being used on their stamps. It honestly never occurred to me. I thought the default was use the ink you have, unless the sender said black only, or no black, or whatever.

I do belong to the yahoo postal group, and I do not recall anything in the FAQ or posted that says you can only use specified ink colours on postal stamps. This need to be more clearly explained, if the consensus is that that is a rule for postals. Otherwise, I think the sender should specify if they have ink preferences.

Mariette
(dbltall of Team Garlic)
Re: Ink du jour
Reply to: #76584 by SubRosa
Mar 7, 2007 10:58am
Board
Arggggh! I just has a lovely post and now it's gone and I have to write it again. Ah well it'll be better for the re-write I suppose!

Quote Use any colour or kind of ink you want on my stamps. Postal or wild, use whatever colours you like, and clean them off afterwards (a damp paper towel is fine). I don't even always use the same colours on my own stamps every time. Don't feel constrained by the colours I put in the logbook - be creative, and do whatever you think looks best. I am not particular.

We just mailed our first postals in the Kid Carver's II. My kids made these stamps, they did most of the work on the log books as well. So when they wanted to put the stamps into the log books with multicolored stamp pads... *gasp* I let them. They are not suggestions, just what struck my kids as cool at the moment.

I have to agree with the quote above. We carved our stamps to make people happy; ourselves as well as others. They are planted or mailed for you as the finder to enjoy. So -- do not fret about colors that have gone before yours across the surfaces of my stamps. Choose the color of the day, that which strikes you as the color(s) for the stamp and your mood. Enjoy, don't stress out!

Boxing should be a stress reducer, not an inducer. Be Cool and have fun! If you are worried about lingering colors... Huff on it Fonz!