A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Floating and/or Underwater Boxes

Re: Floating and/or Underwater Boxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #843342 by The Lost Boys
Apr 26, 2014 4:49am
Board
Letterboxer2002 had one underwater once. I will ask him about it and get back to you.
Apr 26, 2014 5:25am
Board
I did a underwater box for a event once. The event shelter was within feet from the lake. I poked the big end of a cane fishing pole into the ground , attached a small container holding the stamp onto end of line, added weights and a bobber, set up a camping chair on the bank at the pole, the camp chair held the logbook and a hand towel.
Apr 26, 2014 5:45am
Board
An underwater "box" has to be weighted correctly, or it will float.

One time, I used a plastic Gatorade powder container (short cylinder, screw-on lid, wide mouth). Filled it within one inch of the top with granite river rock, then poured in sand. There was just enough room for an unmounted stamp and a thin logbook on top. The "box" was placed in a creek, hidden among the rocks at the edge.
Reply to: #843354 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 26, 2014 5:50am
Board
The Lady of the Lake did once reside in Squantz Pond (in 2002). When you followed the clues, you found a tree with a chain. The chain was attached to her watery tomb made of a grey Nalgene bottle attached to a weight. I put the log, stamp, and ink in a waterproof pouch. You should not have to worry about compression from freezing. The bottle is at the bottom of the pond and is flexible enough to drive over with a car. Email me if you have any questions. I would be glad to help!

Alan (letterboxer2002)
Apr 26, 2014 8:32am
Board
What I have seen with caches are Pelican boxes. They are made to be underwater and have a carabiner already attached. Then they use a weight, like a brick or homemade with cement, that has a metal loop, so when the finders go after it, it can be detached and reattached without having to struggle with the weight.
Apr 26, 2014 8:48am
Board
These are retired so I'll share this:
I made some that I permanently glued to pennies and tossed them in with other pennies in fountains:

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=75376
Reply to: #843383 by The Wolf Family
Apr 26, 2014 10:05am
Board
You're so sly!!
Apr 26, 2014 10:50am
Board
Obviously I can't just put a Buoy there.

Depends. There are plenty of marker buoys around here. Heck, some people think a white diagonal bar through a red field is a marker buoy to be circled on a jetski. ::glares at idiot boaters::

But, I digress. How accessible do you want them? I can't image too many finds on a box that requires the finder to get their scuba rig. More on a snorkel-able box, even more than a wade-able box. You could build a wooden structure that resembles a lobster trap, weigh it down, and have that hold a water proof container. Coordinates to the surface buoy, if there is one, could be clues.
Reply to: #843383 by The Wolf Family
Apr 26, 2014 3:53pm
Board
Do you still have the clue up for the pennies? That sounds interesting!
Reply to: #843411 by LMN
Apr 26, 2014 4:04pm
Board
Do you still have the clue up for the pennies? That sounds interesting!

This sounds like the one that the homeless peed in the water and you had to reach in the water for the box, sort of like reaching into a toilet bowl. Lots of fun, maybe even a blue diamond box altho I really don't remember for sure about the BD. lol :)
Reply to: #843359 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Apr 26, 2014 4:28pm
Board
An underwater "box" has to be weighted correctly, or it will float.

Either that or tethered to a rock......Team We're Your Huckleberry has one ready to go but haven't planted it.......
Reply to: #843412 by airstream dreams
Apr 26, 2014 5:04pm
Board
This sounds like the one that the homeless peed in the water and you had to reach in the water for the box, sort of like reaching into a toilet bowl.

Actually, they were initially planted in SC in a stream at an event. They were also planted for an event in a fountain up in Huntersville that had been drained and cleaned that day. And the last the time they were planted in downtown and it was later discovered that homeless peed in the water. There's probably been a few boxes that have had animals pee on them in the wild too. But regardless, it did kind of suck the fun out of it after you seemed to like to just bring up the last time over and over so I retired them. But other people might like the idea and can use them where they like.
Reply to: #843419 by The Wolf Family
Apr 26, 2014 8:43pm
Board
I'd much rather find those over an empty letterbox full of pee, at least there was a stamp involved with yours! Still seriously wicked cool, and eevil.
Apr 27, 2014 4:59am
Board
Sigh. And if anyone else is like me, once in a while, I have had the pleasure of needing to stick my hand into a real toilet bowl to retrieve some sort of needed object. And I never received a stamp for doing that! Thank goodness those days are mostly past!!

bluebirdlover
I'll take the clever stamp and the watered down contents, thank you very much!
Apr 27, 2014 5:13am
Board
Seems to me the concentration of pee in that fountain couldn't be any where near that of a public pool during kids swim! And I'd take some highly diluted pee over anything with more than 8 legs any time!
Reply to: #843412 by airstream dreams
Apr 27, 2014 5:36am
Board
I've been told several times that urine is sterile.
Reply to: #843352 by Fiddleheads
Apr 27, 2014 7:50am
Board
Add to clue listing: "Bring a towel."
Reply to: #843467 by bluebirdlover
Apr 27, 2014 7:55am
Board
I have had the pleasure of needing to stick my hand into a real toilet bowl to retrieve some sort of needed object... Thank goodness those days are mostly past!!

In my case it was usually a comb that had flipped out of a back pocket. Now my hair is gone, so I haven't carried a comb for a decade.
Reply to: #843468 by LuLaHe
Apr 27, 2014 7:57am
Board
Need a good concentration of chlorine or bromine.
Apr 27, 2014 9:41am
Board
other people might like the idea and can use them where they like.

I don't know if she got the idea from you or thought the evil thing up on her own, but an unnamed boxer did the same and tossed the penny/stamp into a stream, laden with hundreds of naked pennies, running through a downtown mall in Salt Lake City. You had to nonchalantly (with absolutely no cover) sit by the stream and diddle your hand into the water searching for the correct penny, all the while dodging the suspicions of the overly-aggressive mall security. Very difficult to be inconspicuous as a 60+ gray-haired woman, who should know better, in the stream right in the middle of the mall! Talk about E-V-I-L! I guess I could have used one of my granddaughters, but they are really well-behaved and I doubt their parents would have appreciated me corrupting them in the name of letterboxing.
Reply to: #843491 by Boxer Lover47
Apr 27, 2014 10:12am
Board
You had to nonchalantly (with absolutely no cover) sit by the stream and diddle your hand into the water searching for the correct penny, all the while dodging the suspicions of the overly-aggressive mall security.

Hehehehe... I love it.
Reply to: #843358 by airstream dreams
May 9, 2014 11:53am
Board
You are absolutely BRILLIANT!

Love the idea. Just had to tell you that.