Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Best size for letterboxing journal/notebook?

Re: Best size for letterboxing journal/notebook?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #841779 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 16, 2014 2:43pm
Board
Lipstick - the new way to ink! ;)

And with that, a new series is born. Thanks for that!
Reply to: #841737 by Ddraig
Apr 16, 2014 4:03pm
Board
I found that I gave up with buying books all together. Too many of them had textured paper that didn't quite work well or the pages didn't stamp as clean as I liked. I'm a neurotic about having to restamp or ruining a page of lovely stamps because one didn't work. I've taken to stamping on index cards, then cutting them out and gluing them in a book. I can toss out the ones that don't stamp well, cut them in cool shapes and arrange them however I like in the book and write around them. Makes for less to carry and if I ever get caught in the rain, sleet, or snow, I don't have to worry about damaging my beautiful book.
Reply to: #841741 by Intrinsically Knotted
Apr 16, 2014 4:36pm
Board
That's when I discovered that textured paper and detailed stamps don't work together!

Correct. The smoother and heavier the paper, the better. I get mine at a school supply/specialty paper store by the ream. Hammermill "color copy digital cover" 60 lb is my favorite. Nothing bleeds through it and every detail of every stamp looks its best. I pay $20 for 250 sheets but it makes dozens and dozens of log books.

Doublesaj
Reply to: #841775 by Wry Me
Apr 16, 2014 4:39pm
Board
Ok, this is going to sound so weird, but before I buy a logbook, I wait until no one is looking and run the paper across my lips.

And no one complains about the lipstick marks?

Doublesaj
Reply to: #841811 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Apr 16, 2014 4:45pm
Board
...it makes dozens and dozens of log books.

How do you bind your books?
Reply to: #841812 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Apr 16, 2014 6:06pm
Board
And no one complains about the lipstick marks?

I worry more about the "Oooooh, baby, you're the one for me."
Reply to: #841813 by Ddraig
Apr 16, 2014 6:50pm
Board
I found this video very clear for binding books using coptic stitch. It makes a nice book with as many pages as you want, and you will be able to open it up to lie flat which is essential for stamping.
How to Make a Sketchbook

It suggests buying a sketch pad to use the cardboard backing as the cover and the sketch paper for the pages, but DON'T use sketch paper! It's still textured. Also, the video talks about using waxed linen thread. I've tried dental floss instead, which worked pretty well.
Reply to: #841838 by Intrinsically Knotted
Apr 16, 2014 7:29pm
Board
plain old cardstock and candlewicking thread works as well. i make a lot of my logbooks. . . well, i made all of them until my daughter went through her closets and gifted me with 3 sketchbooks.

frankly, the sketch paper is ok for stamping. i'm not expecting to archive any of this; i simply want a record of my having been there.

~tigs
Reply to: #841842 by tiggermama
Apr 16, 2014 7:50pm
Board
I agree, the sketch paper is not horrible for stamping, but I'd still prefer something smoother. One of the first series I found after making my current logbook was the Woodland Folk & Legends series, which has incredibly detailed, gorgeous carves by 3 Blind Mice among others, and I would have preferred a clearer imprint.

On the otherhand, one of my friends who came on that hike stamped the same stamps into her identical logbook (I made two), and they came out much better. So maybe I just need to learn better stamping techniques!
Reply to: #841813 by Ddraig
Apr 16, 2014 10:22pm
Board
How do you bind your books?

With a Bind-It-All (BIA). IMO, spiral-bound is the way to go for large, personal log books as well as the tiny ones you put in the boxes.

Doublesaj
Reply to: #841805 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 16, 2014 11:36pm
Board
I started with 3 by 5 index cards, which work almost always, and are easy to carry. But switched to a 5 by 8 book, and am taping the cards inside, cutting off any excess blank card areas. But all those cards are making the book kinda thick.

If portability is your most important feature, use cards. With cards, it makes no difference if you make a bad copy of a stamp. Just do another one, and you can discard the bad copy. If you walk a lot for the boxes, cards are much easier to carry. 4 by 6 cards would be great. If you mostly drive, carrying a book is not a problem at all.

If having a hardback for stamping ease is more important to you, go with a book. If you attend events, you will need a 5 by 8 to accommodate event stamps. With the book, I just accept that there will be both a good and bad copy of some stamps. I like being able to see a whole series at once. But I miss being able to walk carrying a tiny hip bag and almost no weight.
Reply to: #841737 by Ddraig
Apr 17, 2014 6:05am
Board
My absolute favorite logbook is the Moleskine Art Plus Sketchbook in the large 5" x 8.25" trim size. The paper is heavy and very smooth. It has a special elastic band to hold it closed and a ribbon marker to hold your place, and it lies flat very easily.

Once I bought the wrong kind of blank-page Moleskine (not the sketchbook) and was disappointed in the lightness of the paperweight. I'll never make that mistake again!
Reply to: #841885 by Parhelia
Apr 17, 2014 6:39am
Board
I use the same book. The paper is thick enough to stamp on both sides and the little pocket in the back is also handy.
Reply to: #841885 by Parhelia
Apr 17, 2014 6:49am
Board
Moleskine Art Plus Sketchbook in the large 5" x 8.25" trim size

I use this too. I can usually get three stamps along the left margin of each page with room beside each stamp to record the name of the stamp, planter (and carver, if different), location, date planted, and date found.
Reply to: #841838 by Intrinsically Knotted
Apr 17, 2014 8:10am
Board
this video

It is a very good tutorial. There are others on AQ under "Toolbox". I punch my signatures from the inside out. Measure and mark one signature and use it as a template for the rest of the signatures. Place a sheet of foam to punch into through the paper. Old Reader's Digest books are a good size for covers. For paper I use Cougar brand, 11"X17" , smooth, Text, 100lb, White from a print shop. The paper is folded twice making four page signature. The top fold is trimmed off and edge to fit the cover. If they do not have this text paper use "cover" paper.
Reply to: #841742 by FloridaFour
Apr 17, 2014 8:57am
Board
If you want to invest in the best go to Oberon.com ...handade leather bound cover with hard cover replaceable log book inside. Had mine 8 pluse years...love it!! Plus when book is full and replaced you can shelf them as a real book does. :-)
Reply to: #841784 by Wry Me
Apr 17, 2014 5:38pm
Board
Smacks forehead, geeeshhhh don't encourage her please.... I just know I am gonna get a paper cut on the lips now, I just know it.
Reply to: #842011 by DustySandStorm
Apr 17, 2014 6:00pm
Board
Therves ooo wite.
Reply to: #841918 by T REX
Apr 18, 2014 6:28am
Board
If you want to invest in the best go to Oberon.com

I tried that but someone is parking that domain. I'm interested in looking at their products. Do you have another URL?
Reply to: #842069 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 18, 2014 8:24pm
Board
I'm interested in looking at their products. Do you have another URL?

http://oberondesign.com/journal-covers.html
Reply to: #841741 by Intrinsically Knotted
Apr 19, 2014 7:13pm
Board
I got a 260 page 8.5"x11" -- no lines, no texture. I'm on my 5th logbook now.

Love the size. I can fit any sized stamp, and multiple stamps per page.

hx6