A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Can Anyone Identify?

Re: Can Anyone Identify?
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #837334 by Piper on the Trail
Mar 25, 2014 1:51pm
Board
Looks like "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree". Chinese Tallow or Popcorn Tree

AB
Reply to: #837334 by Piper on the Trail
Mar 25, 2014 4:55pm
Board
It's a popcorn tree!! There was one right outside of my bedroom window as a child. We use to pick the popcorn pieces of and nail each other with them. teeheehee

That was on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I think there were quite a few of them. I've never seen one in Tennessee. I don't think I saw one when I was in California, either. Very interesting.
Reply to: #837346 by artboy
Mar 28, 2014 10:21am
Board
Looks like "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree". Chinese Tallow or Popcorn Tree

I had never heard of a popcorn or a Chinese Tallow tree until this thread but was just reading the trail descriptions at Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah and saw this:

Connector Trail
This connects both the Sandpiper and Avian Loop trails to the Big Ferry Trail and takes you through our unwanted Chinese Tallow forest. Also known as “popcorn trees,” these highly invasive plants have taken over this area of the park. Efforts have begun in killing this toxic tree and returning the forest to its natural state.
Reply to: #837963 by Scooters Mom
Mar 28, 2014 4:20pm
Board
I had never heard of a popcorn or a Chinese Tallow tree until this thread [....]

I hadn't either. However, your information led to me looking it up on Wikipedia. Here are some relevant parts of the article:

The plant sap and leaves are reputed to be toxic, and decaying leaves from the plant are toxic to other species of plant. [...] It is useful in the production of biodiesel because it is the third most productive vegetable oil producing crop in the world, after algae and oil palm. This species is considered to be a noxious invader in parts of the southern U.S.

So, somewhat useful but overall a pest to be eliminated, at least from the U.S.
Reply to: #838030 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 29, 2014 2:42am
Board
So, somewhat useful but overall a pest to be eliminated, at least from the U.S.

Along with that you can take the English Sparrows and Starlings. I'm currently trying to keep the English Sparrows from taking over my Bluebird birdhouse.
Reply to: #838119 by Elle
Mar 29, 2014 9:37am
Board
Along with that you can take the English Sparrows and Starlings.

And the magpies. Beautiful birds, but they eat the baby quail. They don't even have a pretty song, just a squawk.