A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: AQ Site Language Options.

Re: AQ Site Language Options.
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #825618 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 16, 2014 8:51am
Board
I know that geocaching.com is available in different languages.... Why have two sites when the boxes can be found by anyone who understands the clues

There's more to a letterboxing website than just clues. The geocaching site might have other language options, but if you change to a Spanish site, a lot of the links lead to English resources--which doesn't do much good for someone who doesn't know English. At best, it's a half-hearted attempt at supporting other languages.

And when a Spanish-speaking person has a question or problem, who are they going to contact at the geocaching site that can help them? I still think if I were living in Spain and only spoke Spanish that I'd want a genuine Spanish letterboxing site--not an English site pretending to be Spanish. The English one is for tourists. The Spanish one is for locals. =)

If I was Spanish and wanted to get letterboxing started in Spain, I know I'd be thinking about building a Spanish-language site!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #825652 by Green Tortuga
Jan 16, 2014 9:25am
Board
Please do not make me have to press 1 for English on AQ.
Reply to: #825657 by DeeCee
Jan 17, 2014 2:38pm
Board

Aw, 1 isn't so bad. It's when they say press 3 that I worry. :-)
Reply to: #825470 by Green Tortuga
Jan 17, 2014 3:12pm
Board
In my last job I worked for a high-tech company managing the user documentation. That included translating into 35 languages. 35 - can you believe that!? So come on Ryan - it's only *one* language! LoL!!!

Well really it's a lot of work. Everything was developed in English and then sent out to a translation firm. Translators had to come up language specific terms that hadn't been thought of yet. And then when we thought we were done the product function would change . . . and the English needed to be re-written and sent out . . . . and then there would be a time crunch with getting everything to production and then . . . oh gosh, I better stop. I'm going to have night mares tonight. LoL!!

Anyway . . . . the languages have different accents and special characters that take special keyboards and sometimes those characters messed with implementing it into the driver software. But that's nothing compared to Japanese, Chinese, Korean . . and Arabic. Oh Arabic - they read a book from the opposite direction than we do. So the front cover is on what we consider to be the back cover. Printing was fun on that one. Okay, you all are responsible for taking me down memory lane here. 8-0

But yes, support would be tricky. Unless you wanted to do something like this:
1) member to Spanish translator
2) translator to GT
3) GT to translator
4) translator to member
5) go to 1 and repeat . . . over and over again.

But hey, on the flip side it could be a great plan to learn Spanish, right!?! :-)
Perhaps Wassa could manage it . . . ? It really does sound like it could be a fun new challenge.

Anyway thanks for bringing back the memories! . . . I think. :-)
Reply to: #825927 by Kurious Jo
Jan 17, 2014 4:53pm
Board
Perhaps Wassa could manage it . . . ? It really does sound like it could be a fun new challenge.

Sure Wassa could manage it. Moose and sqvirrel can do anything.
Reply to: #825657 by DeeCee
Jan 17, 2014 5:08pm
Board

Aprima numero 2 para Español.

Seriously though, there is a negotiation that can occur between your browser and a web site. If there are multiple language versions available on a web site, the browser tells the site which version to send. You probably don't know about it because your browser defaulted to the correct language, English for you. I've set up English as primary, but Spanish is secondary.

Well, most browsers have it, but I can't find the language settings on Chrome on my tablet. Firefox help on my tablet says that language is chosen when I chose which version to download. I'm upgrading my desktop right now so I can't check there, but I've done the above selections there.