Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Patches

Re: Patches
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #79290 by tuathaan
Mar 20, 2007 1:51am
Board
I have always sewn them on, hate that gunk. However with all these fancy waterproof/breathable backpacks now I hate to ruin my latest expensive purchase by making needle holes in it. I have taken to sewing my patches onto my car rug.

YT
Reply to: #79459 by The Yorkshire Tortoise
Mar 20, 2007 2:58am
Board
I always sew rather than stick. The backpack I currently use is quite thick material and would be almost impossible to sew. So I have sewn my badges to a widestrip of what I believe is called petersham ribbon (the stuff nurses belts used to made of) and attached this to the flap of my pack with elesticated loops. In theory if I change my pack I can just move the badges.

DM
Reply to: #79460 by Dilton Martian
Mar 20, 2007 7:13am
Board
I have a shirt. AP Schmidt (Janine Devine) taught me this trick when we were both at GS camp in the 80s.

Pick a light-weight (wish I'd remembered this part) long, long _sleeved_ shirt of a color you can stand to wear year round. Hers was striped, mine is forest green. It'll make a great cover-up for hiking in the summer and a much-needed jacket for the Fall.

Obviously you need to sew the badges on, gunk won't do.

Ish
Reply to: #79538 by Ish
Mar 20, 2007 10:07am
Board
Ooo I like both those ideas, I fear some car rug unpicking is going to happen!

YT
Reply to: #79538 by Ish
Mar 20, 2007 10:21am
Board
Good idea but what would put me off is that some badges/patches seem to be allergic to washing :-) Some fade or disintegrate after a couple washes. But as all LBing badges are top quality that won't be problem, will it?.

DM
Reply to: #79460 by Dilton Martian
Mar 21, 2007 10:43am
Board
Quote So I have sewn my badges to a wide strip of what I believe is called petersham ribbon

That's brilliant! Then I could attach the ribbon with patches to whatever backpack I was using.

Thank you for the idea!

Mariette
(dbltall of Team Garlic)