About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: I am not drunk!

I am not drunk!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Nov 8, 2013 8:05am
Board
Thankfully because it's only 11am. But that may change quickly!

But it happened again.

I entered an entire clue, on-line maybe 30 minutes, clicked on "Preview Clue" and was taken to "Add a Letterbox" page. All work lost again. Maybe this is happening because it was almost 11am when I clicked on "Preview Clue". Ya know, when AQ hangs up!

Guess I'll type one sentence and save. Type another sentence and save. But not right now.
Re: I am not drunk!
Reply to: #814656 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2013 8:09am
Board
I entered an entire clue, on-line maybe 30 minutes, clicked on "Preview Clue" and was taken to "Add a Letterbox" page. All work lost again. Guess I'll type one sentence and save. Type another sentence and save.

I feel very sorry for you. <HUG> <HUG> <HUG> <HUG> <HUG>

Or if you are going to type a lot of text you could type it in a text editor and copy it over.
Nov 8, 2013 8:36am
Board
What browser are you using? What are your privacy settings? I'm guessing AQ uses sessions and cookies, so your browser is probably nuking them on you.

Have you tried using a different browser?

Have you tried hitting "Preview Clue" at a higher frequency? Let's say every 10 minutes? To make sure that the session is staying alive?

Do you have "Keep me logged in" checked when you log into AQ?
Reply to: #814658 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 8, 2013 9:19am
Board
Actually it wasn't a lot of text, it was a fairly short clue, but it did have a couple of links. Than I got called back to another part of the house for about 10 minutes.

I thought about saving when I was called back but that would list the box with an incomplete clue and I didn't like that idea so I just left it up on my desktop.

I didn't use Word this time because I didn't think the links (Wiki markup) would take in Word. Anyone ever try that?
Reply to: #814663 by Aiphid
Nov 8, 2013 9:30am
Board
What browser are you using?

Chrome
What are your privacy settings?

You mean in Chrome? I don't know.

Chrome is the third I've used in the past two years. Tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome. They are all temperamental.

Have you tried hitting "Preview Clue" at a higher frequency?

Right now I'm afraid to hit "Preview Clue" at all. If I can just get the clue saved without being kicked out I am happy. I can go fix later if needed.

Do you have "Keep me logged in" checked when you log into AQ?

If this is on the login page. NO! I never click that box for any site I visit.

I have never had to second guess AQ in the past. It has always worked. I don't feel I should have to start playing silly games to type a clue in AQ directly. There is either a problem with my computer, my browser, or AQ.

This has now happened to me with three reserved boxes and one traditional that was not reserved.
Nov 8, 2013 9:40am
Board
My first recommendation would be to use Mozilla/Firefox if you're not already. Otherwise, type it out in Microsoft Word first, then cut and paste on AQ. In any case, you can save yourself a lot of headaches and worry by simply highlighting your clue text and copying it JUST BEFORE you hit the preview button! If it gets lost, you can then go back and paste your most recent work without issue.

If you still have problems after that then yah................. hit the Tequila hard!!! ;o)

Pete
Reply to: #814680 by The Merry Pranksters
Nov 8, 2013 9:53am
Board
Otherwise, type it out in Microsoft Word first, then cut and paste on AQ.

That would be my suggestion no matter what browser you are using. Although I'd use copy/paste rather than cut/paste.

TG
Reply to: #814677 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2013 9:57am
Board
Chrome is the third I've used in the past two years. Tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome. They are all temperamental.

Have you tried the other two for this? It doesn't really matter if you've used them in the past, it matters if you have the same symptoms using something other than the browser that you're using. It may just mean that your have your browser misconfigured.

What are your privacy settings?
You mean in Chrome? I don't know.

You might want to look it up. If you have it set to clear cookies/sessions too soon, that could be why your browser is no longer signed on after 30 minutes of inactivity instead of the default of (what did GT say? 4 hours?).

I have never had to second guess AQ in the past. It has always worked. I don't feel I should have to start playing silly games to type a clue in AQ directly. There is either a problem with my computer, my browser, or AQ.

That's the WHOLE POINT of this. It's not silly games, it's diagnosing the problem.
Nov 8, 2013 10:49am
Board
I'm still not sure why this would be happening to you, but I was poking around in the server just trying to see if there was anything "suspicious" going on and noticed that AQ was almost entirely out of disk space! 98% full. And when I looked at the amount of disk space all of my accounts were using, the bulk of the disk space was taken up by AQ and Walking 4 Fun takes a distant second place. Combining all of my accounts, though, it shouldn't have even been using half the server.

Took some digging around, but I found a log file that was recording slow queries that--the ONE file--filled up over 20 gigs of disk space! So I deleted it and now opened up a heck of a lot of disk space.

I have no idea if this had anything to do with your problem, but sessions are stored as files online and if there's no disk space to store or update files, it could definitely cause problems. But I'd have expected that it would have been causing problems for a lot of different people--not just you. The server this morning was running super slow (for me, at least), which was almost certainly a symptom of there not being enough disk space.

Anyhow.... the disk space problem on AQ has been taken care of. But.... I have no idea if that will fix the problems you described. =(

-- Ryan
Reply to: #814687 by Aiphid
Nov 8, 2013 10:50am
Board
As an experiment, I logged into AQ with "Keep me logged in" turned off. I created a new box and started writing a clue. Then I waited 35 minutes before selecting Preview and then Save. My session was not dropped and the preview/save worked successfully.

Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101
Reply to: #814695 by Aiphid
Nov 8, 2013 2:08pm
Board
I tried on Chrome again and as soon as I selected "Preview Clue" I was taken to the "Add Letterbox" page. So I downloaded Firefox and once I figured out how to resize the page so I could read it I tried once more. This time I only typed four very small paragraphs (about 7 minutes time) clicked "Preview Clue" and was again sent to the "Add Letterbox" page. I was still logged into AQ but all my work was again lost.

I'm now thinking this is my computer. It only happens in AQ. I have three other tabs up and they are working perfectly, one of them is W4F.

I'll keep trying but with the iPad next time. Let's see what happens there.
Reply to: #814731 by BBStacker
Nov 8, 2013 5:58pm
Board
I was still logged into AQ but all my work was again lost.

This used to happen to me a lot when I commented on blogs (not AQ) so I started "control/copying" my comment EVERY time I finished typing. If I lost it and had to 'start over', I could do it without having to type my content again.

~~Doublesaj~~
Reply to: #814769 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Nov 9, 2013 6:17am
Board
I finally succeeded getting my clue and letterbox listed. I had to use my iPad which got the job done without any problems at all even though it took me three times as long. So I now really believe something is wrong with my computer but it only shows it's face when clicking a specific button on AQ.
Reply to: #814818 by BBStacker
Nov 9, 2013 10:25am
Board
For those who've watched the IT Crowd on Netflix...

"Have you tried turning your computer off and then back on again?"

Funny to me... YMMV

KNS
Reply to: #814818 by BBStacker
Nov 9, 2013 10:26am
Board
Wondering if you have AV software on your computer; if so, maybe it is automatically removing cookies?
Reply to: #814856 by MichKathy
Nov 9, 2013 10:58am
Board
How do I check? I turn on my computer and expect Norton to protect it. I use very few programs so I'm limited in expertise on how to do anything most people have recommended. And to be honest, I really don't want to delve too much into that stuff.
Nov 11, 2013 3:04pm
Board
Microsoft word is your friend.