A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: A reminder about planting

Re: A reminder about planting
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #811393 by deniserows
Oct 20, 2013 5:13pm
Board
Could the reason planters leave inactive boxes on the data base because the finders need the box listing to log their finds? Does the "find" go away when the inactive box is deleted? Does what i'm trying to say make sense?

And I assume that is the reason why they do not delist their boxes. That is why LBNA needs a system to make boxes inactive at the very least, so they are no longer a part of search results. Further, why even have a system to log finds if there is not a system to remove boxes from searches without affecting the system of logging finds.

This is the major reason why for years now I have mainly used AQ. I don't mind searching for a box and not finding it, that is part of the game. But to sift through clues to only find that the planter knows it is missing is just plain annoying.

AQ my be uglier then .org, but it is far more useful.
Reply to: #811472 by Cyclonic
Oct 20, 2013 9:57pm
Board
That is why LBNA needs a system to make boxes inactive at the very least, so they are no longer a part of search results. Further, why even have a system to log finds if there is not a system to remove boxes from searches without affecting the system of logging finds.

Seriously? As two other people in this thread have already described, a box can be archived on LbNA. It removes it from searches, but maintains all find logs, and the planter can also log it as retired. You can even go to the "basement" and search all such archived boxes, state by state.

This is my point: Kirbert and Cyclonic are complaining about non-existant problems, perpetuating the myth that the site is somehow inferior. You took the time to learn how this site works. LbNA works differently, just take the time to learn.

K
Reply to: #811460 by The Wolf Family
Oct 20, 2013 11:04pm
Board
Ryan: Please revise the plant logbook setup so that members can choose to omit listings of retired boxes.
Reply to: #811472 by Cyclonic
Oct 20, 2013 11:07pm
Board
That is why LBNA needs a system to make boxes inactive at the very least, so they are no longer a part of search results.

What's the problem with archiving the box? You can un-archive a box just as easily, one click.

The problem with LbNA is that the box owners don't seem to care, they don't even bother to archive a listing when the box goes missing. Sometimes they'll edit the clue to mention that it's gone missing, and sometimes they'll even edit the box name to include "missing" in it somehow, but just clicking on the button to archive the d##n box is just too much trouble.
Reply to: #811518 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 12:23am
Board
Please revise the plant logbook setup so that members can choose to omit listings of retired boxes.

I don't rip out the pages of my real logbook with plants that have been retired. Why would I want to do that with an online logbook? =)

Anyhow, people can run searches for their plants with the retired boxes hidden. It would just be a redundant feature on logbooks.

Check out mine! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #811518 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 7:43am
Board
Ryan: Please revise the plant logbook setup so that members can choose to omit listings of retired boxes.

I don't see a reason for this. I'm happy with deleting when I feel like it. I have no attachment to old, past listings that serve no purpose anymore. I have some I keep around for different reasons (like the clues were creative or they were a first in some way). But if I have no reason to keep a listing I'm never re-activating, I'll purge it entirely.

Other people can run searches like Ryan outlined to exclude retired listings. And the F count stays the same in other people's logbooks.

It's just a matter of preference.
Reply to: #811511 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 9:42am
Board
complaining about non-existant problems, perpetuating the myth that the site is somehow inferior.

While I agree that the problems Kirbert and Cyclonic cite are non-existant, I do think AQ is superior if you don't live in the USA or its territories. Those of us in other countries are all lumped together in "Other International", which makes sifting clues a PITA.
Reply to: #811611 by 55 Steps
Oct 21, 2013 10:27am
Board
Oh I'll totally hand you that. It is called Letterboxing North America.

The complaints about abandoned listings are legitimate, but webmasters will look into them if you let them know. AQ has abandoned listings too, but handles them differently.

It's all the complaints about the lack of features and functionality that annoy me because they're just not true.

K
Reply to: #811624 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 10:54am
Board
It's all the complaints about the lack of features and functionality that annoy me because they're just not true.

I generally try to stay out of LbNA discussions, but to be fair... a lot of the features and functionality you describe haven't always been there. When I first started letterboxing, the site didn't even allow you to create your own accounts to manage your own listings! It has improved dramatically since then, but it's not necessarily that some of the information people have about LbNA is "wrong" so much as is just "out of date." For those trying to explain why they don't use LbNA anymore and they don't know about new or improved features... well, they already admitted that they don't use LbNA anymore. How would they know about the new or improved feature?

So try not to get too annoyed. Try to be understanding and just re-educate them. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #811624 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 1:05pm
Board
Hey, just for grins I went through the LbNA listings for N FL and sent the admins a whole bunch of messages about listings that should be archived. Not only were they promptly archived, but they thanked me for the cleanup efforts! I highly recommend that anyone running across one of these LbNA clues where the box and the planter are both clearly long gone, go ahead and send a message to the admins. Include the box name and LbNA number to make things easy for them.

The sad part is that I also ran across listings for several of my own boxes that needed to be archived! Seems I forget after retiring a box here on AQ. Oh, well.
Reply to: #811674 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 1:20pm
Board
I also ran across listings for several of my own boxes that needed to be archived! Seems I forget after retiring a box here on AQ.

That's the reason I quit listing boxes on LbNA, even though I started there. I wasn't being a good boxing citizen by maintaining my listings on both sites.
Reply to: #811628 by Green Tortuga
Oct 21, 2013 1:37pm
Board
Fair enough, Ryan. In fact, looking back at their "change log" your name pops up a couple times in the early AQ days. I understand your desire to remain relatively neutral on the subject.

Those same people might think about how dramatically this site has changed over the years. But logging finds and archiving listings has been around nearly as long as Cyclonic has been boxing. To anyone who hasn't seriously looked at the site in a couple years, you might be happily surprised.

K
Reply to: #811307 by Kirbert
Oct 21, 2013 2:16pm
Board
Or just write to Choi. problem solved.

~tigs
Reply to: #811682 by Kelsung
Oct 21, 2013 9:47pm
Board
Those same people might think about how dramatically this site has changed over the years.

I still have a copy of Atlas Quest 1.0 on a CD in a drawer somewhere that I'm tempted to dust off someday and put back on a domain name I'm not using to give everyone a good laugh. =)

Newer members on AQ would probably be pretty astonished at how primitive it was and how few features actually existed. Some of the oldest AQers might remember, but they'll probably still be pretty surprised at how much different things are now. No message boards, no chat rooms, no marketplace, no photo galleries, no AQ mail, no support for non-traditionals, etc. The attributes on boxes are different. Snow friendly wasn't an option, but "boat required" was! And in terms of listing letterbox locations, there was no geocoder so boxes could only be listed as being "somewhere in city"--and the city had to already be known to AQ before you could use it.

Someday, when I'm bored with nothing better to do, I've really got to get that original version of AQ back up online somewhere. It's hilarious! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #811810 by Green Tortuga
Oct 22, 2013 6:03am
Board
Someday, when I'm bored with nothing better to do, I've really got to get that original version of AQ back up online somewhere. It's hilarious!

It was wonderful and we were grateful for it. And it's even better now and we are awe struck in the development and maintaince you do to it everyday! Thank you Ryan, for all you do and will do. AQ is simply the best!
Reply to: #811511 by Kelsung
Nov 26, 2013 8:33am
Board
I agree that LbNA can archive boxes and preserve finds but I still much prefer using AQ because of a long list of capabilities, so I personally do view LbNA as inferior.

One of the more subtle but important issues from my perspective is that AQ tracks boxes and organizes them into series if needed. LbNA can only track a single box or a series, not each box in a series.

Choi
Reply to: #811628 by Green Tortuga
Nov 26, 2013 8:36am
Board
O agree Ryan. I remember when I first started using LbNA, you signed up with a trail name and if you happened to use a name that was already in use, you took over all of that persons boxes. It didn't happen often, but it was pretty bazaar! :P

Choi