Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)

Re: Speedball Speedy-Cut Easy (blue stuff)
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #809827 by Rick in Boca
Oct 10, 2013 5:40pm
Board
I'd try it if I ever saw it. Why not right?
Reply to: #809833 by Raven
Oct 10, 2013 5:46pm
Board
Miss C., I don't think you'd like it, but I have a chunk left from a carve I did recently when I had no other carving material available that I could send you if you want to try it. I don't think it would be suitable for your type of detailed carves because it crumbles badly when you're doing tight curves, etc. with a gouge. It pills up easily, too, along any cut edge. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get good detail with. I have no idea how it would be for a knife carver.
Reply to: #809834 by WiseOldOwl
Oct 10, 2013 5:55pm
Board
Yeah, near as I can tell, it's identical to tan Speedy Cut, but they changed the colour. (Maybe they caught on to its bad reputation?) But compared to pink, it's awful.
Oct 10, 2013 6:58pm
Board
Oh ew! Hate speedy cut!!
Oct 10, 2013 7:45pm
Board
I had to try blue stuff since our only hobby shop is hobby lobby which used to sell pink stuff but replaced it with blue. I hate it...cuts are not sharp, it crumbles, and you can use your finger to rub off the material. I bet it won't hold up over time. Bring back pink stuff!
Oct 10, 2013 8:21pm
Board
Rick in Boca,

I bought some tan speedy cut once, and while I didn't like it, my daughter didn't mind it. I agree it is good for beginners if that is all they can find. At least it gives you the practice of how it looks to carve, reverse image, etc. But last resort is about it.

I am soooooo jealous of the Japanese carving blocks, from what I see on different websites (that show carved blocks), they look wonderful, and smooth. I like the thickness, no need for mounting.. But shipping is a bear!

If you are selling your own stamps on Etsy, the white Japanese blocks just photograph so nicely when inked in contrasting bright colors. Sounds lame, but I was definitely drawn to them.
Oct 10, 2013 9:15pm
Board
No!!! No!!!
Oh my gosh. No!!!
Im too picky now.
My Sound of Music ltcs were on blue stuff bc I was broke. I cried as I carved & kept telling myself "it's not that bad, i can kinda tell its Julia Andrews".

Comments: *that whistle sound when nothings going on*
Reply to: #809864 by crosscresent
Oct 10, 2013 9:21pm
Board
The best stuff (they should market it & call it The Best Stuff) was the rubber hamburger stamps at walmart & the hippo & rhino stamps at the dollar tree!!! A m a z i n g ! I cant find them anymore :(

BUT!!!! and I repeat BUT!!!... Those big white erasers at the Dollar General are NOT... and I repeat NOT!!!... the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are blue stuff & a cute tempting image!!!!
&$*%#!!!!!!
Reply to: #809833 by Raven
Oct 11, 2013 3:46am
Board
My niece gave me a piece. I wouldn't wish this stuff on anyone. Like carving on a block of well aged extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Oct 11, 2013 6:34am
Board
Let me start by saying I am not by any means an expert, an arts and crafty person, or ever much of a carver.

I started out with Master Carve and the Tan stuff. I used very non detailed things from coloring books. Funny little pictures but NO detail.

Had I tried that with the good stuff, I never would have carved the second HH and also my dear husband, Coffee Mug would never have started carving in this hobby at all. He could see that he wanted more detail immediately after seeing the texture of what I was using and went immediately to Webfoot's site.

I still say that the non artsy person in me enjoyed the little bit I did carve but quickly learned my job in this family was clue writing and planting vs carving.

His carvings are great. Thanks, Coffee Mug.
Reply to: #809875 by turkey feathers
Oct 11, 2013 8:06am
Board
Like carving on a block of well aged extra sharp cheddar cheese.

Mmmmmmmmm, cheese. :-P <licking lips>

That is almost as good as bacon.
Reply to: #809892 by Granny Butterfly
Oct 11, 2013 9:46am
Board
I didn't know Coffee Mug was your dh. I have always loved that siggy stamp!