About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Wanting to plant first box

Wanting to plant first box
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Oct 10, 2013 12:50pm
Board
I made a nice carve. I am not ready to plant yet, but have been reading the suggestions for leaving clues. They seem to be saying one ought use secret codes, stories, riddles etc., to tease people's brains. I am not up to that level, and would prefer to give and receive straightforward directions anyway. Gee, I haven't seen any of these codes or spun tails in my area.

Can't I make clues so that ordinary people will be able to find my box?
Re: Wanting to plant first box
Reply to: #809771 by Sunia
Oct 10, 2013 12:56pm
Board
Sure!!!! That's how most clues by me are. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Oct 10, 2013 1:26pm
Board
You can write clues any way that you wish. That's the way you show off your style. Some folks make very creative logbooks, but not me. Some carve amazing stamps. I've gotten better, but still plant the occasional simplistic image. I have a reputation for hard puzzles, but I have tons of clues that are just simple directions.

You don't HAVE to do anything. Do what you enjoy.

K
Oct 10, 2013 2:24pm
Board
Can't I make clues so that ordinary people will be able to find my box?

On the AQ statistics page only 7.2% of planted letterboxes have the mental puzzle label. So it seems you'd be in the majority with straightforward directions.
Oct 10, 2013 2:34pm
Board
I pretty much write directions with maybe a little bit of misdirection. Only a few of mine have a trick. So far.
Oct 10, 2013 2:36pm
Board
Whatever floats yer boat :)
Oct 10, 2013 3:07pm
Board
Sure you can!!

Not very many of my clues are tricky. However, most of them make me laugh, at least. Because i'm the tigs, that's why.

And at least i'm bouncing, LOL.

~tigs
Oct 11, 2013 2:40am
Board
I like straightforward clues that lead to a fun box. In my opinion its better to have the perfect stamp for the location and a good hide, then off-the-wall clues.

Schizokeet
Oct 12, 2013 6:12pm
Board
They seem to be saying one ought use secret codes, stories, riddles etc., to tease people's brains.

I read that the same way. So far, save my latest, I have done my clues in rhyme or puzzles. Both are more difficult to find as a result. I know that there is at least one boxer who gave up on my latest series because it is in rhyme. I've decided to do clues more as directions, or at least more of them as directions.

But I want to try a variety of clue types for the fun of it. If you want even more of a challenge, come up with a puzzle box to post to both here and geocaching site(s). Then you have to direct different people using different ways.

Above all, have fun writing the clue.
Reply to: #809776 by Kelsung
Oct 13, 2013 9:14pm
Board
Thanks Kelsung and others.