A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: image transfer

Re: image transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #809836 by lonnewsom
Oct 10, 2013 8:14pm
Board
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet.

Thanks for this bit of info. Here in the Sierra, everything dries *so* quickly. I just did a transfer for a good-sized stamp, and I think it'll work fine, but darker would have been better. I used a swab and swabbed top to bottom in a swath, after two swaths, things were pretty dry, so you are making the case for lifting the left edge of the transfer as I work my way to the right swiping swaths (make a poem outta that, Grumpy!).
Reply to: #809770 by connecticut croaker
Oct 11, 2013 6:21pm
Board
Thanks for all the advice! I use the printer at work specifically because it is a laser and my home printer is inkjet. Hence, why I can't use parchment paper, everyone gets nosy when someone uses non-standard paper. I think first, I am going to buy a new bottle of acetone. The one I have is from an old school project and is more than a few years old. Then, thanks to all of your help I will be experimenting with irons and wet transfers. If it dries out as fast as you say, I won't bother with the blender pen. Here in Arizona, my ink pads dry out in a matter of days...
I can't wait to get started!!! Thanks!
Reply to: #809968 by connecticut croaker
Nov 4, 2013 4:38am
Board
With acetone, you need to use a copier that uses toner. Also be sure to use 100% acetone, not regular nail polish remover. (it's in the same place at the store, just usually on a lower shelf)
Rub the image with your fingernail or the edge of a letter opener to get it to transfer better. Keep the paper wet (not puddled) before peeling away.