About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: image transfer

image transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Oct 10, 2013 12:47pm
Board
What is the consensus on the best product for image transfer, other than using parchment paper and special printers? I have tried wintergreen oil, which has a tendency to run. Acetone, which comes out a lot lighter than I would like. And pencil tracing/rubbing which is ok for blocky type images but not great for detail. I have heard of a blender pen? But am not sure what it is or how well is works. I am getting seriously frustrated at the lack of options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: image transfer
Reply to: #809770 by connecticut croaker
Oct 10, 2013 1:03pm
Board
It depends on what kind of printer you are using. I think a blender pen is similar to acetone, my art teacher uses blender pens. They dry up quickly, so then she just dips them into acetone. You are using 100% acetone, right?

Acetone for me is by far the best, with my laser printer. I don't knowbif it works for ink jets. You need a nice crisp black and white copy, though. Any grey in the background makes it hard to see.

I used to get nice transfer on my laser printer with just ironing it onto the rubber. But we bought new toner, and now it won't work at all.

I can't stand the smell of the botanical oils, but they worked ok.

You may get better detail with pencil if you just press with an iron, rather than rubbing, which smears it. Seal with stazon ink.
Oct 10, 2013 1:57pm
Board
What kind of printer are you using. Blender pens are xylene, and they work just like acetone. They are both solvents that seem to dissolve and soften the image, but they only work with laserjet images, and even then not all of them. And FF is right. They go out pretty fast, so I'm loving the idea of being able to dip it in acetone, awesome idea, because I love the precision of the tip. I'm going to try to refill it from the back and see what happens.
Oct 10, 2013 5:59pm
Board
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet. If you wait until it is dry the toner re-adheres to the paper. Getting the paper that wet can result in some degradation (running) of the image. It also helps if the carving material is stickier which can be accomplished with by wiping softer materials with acetone or sanding harder materials.
Reply to: #809836 by lonnewsom
Oct 10, 2013 8:14pm
Board
One thing that makes acetone/laser transfers darker is to remove the paper when it is wet.

Thanks for this bit of info. Here in the Sierra, everything dries *so* quickly. I just did a transfer for a good-sized stamp, and I think it'll work fine, but darker would have been better. I used a swab and swabbed top to bottom in a swath, after two swaths, things were pretty dry, so you are making the case for lifting the left edge of the transfer as I work my way to the right swiping swaths (make a poem outta that, Grumpy!).
Oct 11, 2013 6:21pm
Board
Thanks for all the advice! I use the printer at work specifically because it is a laser and my home printer is inkjet. Hence, why I can't use parchment paper, everyone gets nosy when someone uses non-standard paper. I think first, I am going to buy a new bottle of acetone. The one I have is from an old school project and is more than a few years old. Then, thanks to all of your help I will be experimenting with irons and wet transfers. If it dries out as fast as you say, I won't bother with the blender pen. Here in Arizona, my ink pads dry out in a matter of days...
I can't wait to get started!!! Thanks!
Reply to: #809968 by connecticut croaker
Nov 4, 2013 4:38am
Board
With acetone, you need to use a copier that uses toner. Also be sure to use 100% acetone, not regular nail polish remover. (it's in the same place at the store, just usually on a lower shelf)
Rub the image with your fingernail or the edge of a letter opener to get it to transfer better. Keep the paper wet (not puddled) before peeling away.