A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Wow! Good pink stuff.

Re: Wow! Good pink stuff.
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #802595 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 4, 2013 10:52am
Board
This is directed at no one person in particular, but it needs to be said. For everyone complaining about not being able to carve details on pink, I've been carving exclusively on pink since PZ went scarce. Any LTCs of mine dated 2010 or later? Carved on pink.

I just finished a carve on some 2009 with some very detailed type on it and it was a nightmare. I was using a mini 1v staedtler and people are familiar with my carves. I know a lot of it just comes down to comfort zone and opinion, but that stuff I was working on is a mess. Maybe I was just carving out of my ability.
Reply to: #802625 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 4, 2013 10:56am
Board
but I've learned what to look for (and it does not involve opening packages and bending the corner!)

I know this sounds weird, but I noticed a difference in the shade of pink when purchasing 2012 Pink Stuff and that helps to distinguish some of the batches.

Check out the Variations of Pink on the right side

The bit sturdier Pink Stuff is a light, dull shade of pink (middle row -- far right square). It's not perfect, but holds up much better than the crumbly stuff.

The flimsy, crumbly Pink Stuff tends to be brighter pink, closer to the middle row center square (but I have found some a bit lighter such as the top row far left square).

When sat side by side, it's easy to distinguish a color difference between the two. But inside the store and/or purchasing online makes it far more difficult to determine.
Reply to: #802632 by Raven
Sep 4, 2013 11:14am
Board
I just finished a carve on some 2009 with some very detailed type on it and it was a nightmare. I was using a mini 1v staedtler and people are familiar with my carves. I know a lot of it just comes down to comfort zone and opinion, but that stuff I was working on is a mess. Maybe I was just carving out of my ability.

No.... I've seen it and that carve wasn't even close to out of your zone. People know my work as well and I do a ton of detail and I've never had an issue with pink until some of these new slabs...and no I don't pull it out and bend it either. It seems to be a toss up. I am the only one in the area who buys and I believe I have gotten the last of the good stuff here because now it just gets worse and worse. If anyone really needs proof I can show one of my previous carves on pink and then the last one that I did. The only thing that has changed is the material. I'm the sasme person and I'm using the same gouge...therefore let's attribute it to Occum's Razor.....the simplest answer is correct...the pink stuff has changed. then again even the company admits this..so it's not actually in question. I'm just going to have to get used to OZ now. I'm nowhere near as good with it yet as I was on the pink...but it's always a learning curve with new material.
Reply to: #802625 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 4, 2013 11:58am
Board
I've actually purchased pink within the last year, dated 2012, that was fine. Took detail

Feel free to send some my waqy. I miss it. :( No PZ no Pink. Life is over.
Reply to: #802588 by Raven
Sep 4, 2013 12:21pm
Board
2009 sucked for me, too.
Reply to: #802633 by Khameleon
Sep 4, 2013 2:20pm
Board
The first slab of bad pink I got was a noticeably lighter shade of pink. Thinking I was onto something, I purchased the next slab I found that was clearly the deeper shade of the old stuff. Guess what? It was lousy.

The corner test has worked for me, but the result was that there was nothing any good at all for sale in Tallahassee.
Reply to: #802682 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 7:34pm
Board
Yes, there are 2 or 3 different shades of pink stuff that is lousy.

But the sturdiest version that I've found lately is lighter still in color than any of the lousy stuff.
Reply to: #802618 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 9:10pm
Board
Webfoot sent me some Pink Stuff recently that is working well for me. In the last week, I have carved on PZ KUT, Orange PZ Kut, OZ, Mystery C and Pink Stuff (2009 and 2012 - but good stuff). Of all of them, Orange PZ I think is my favorite - I still have Pink Stuff (good Pink) as my medium of choice (and get good detail out of it) because Orange PZ is gone. I am getting practice on OZ and am making it work too, but new PZ Orange that mimics old Orange would be a joy to get!!
Reply to: #802682 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 10:13pm
Board
trying to cut out a tiny white dot for an eye or something is a study in frustration as the point of an X-Acto just deforms the rubber and can't get it to let go.

I can totally see where the Xacto would NOT work for OZ, it's just too tough.

But the Mini Staedtler, just a tiny flick of it, it carves an awesome eyeball.

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=122665
Reply to: #802767 by FloridaFour
Sep 4, 2013 11:02pm
Board
Perhaps I'll get used to doing that. The insurmountable problem I ran into recently, though, was a set of obnoxiously detailed wheels on an image of a car. It required carving more than a dozen convoluted shapes within a circle about 1/2" in diameter, including one piece shaped like a 10-legged spider. Trying to carve it from OZ using a gouge, I'd get perhaps half of those cuts done before the transfer became so smeared that I had no idea where to carve any more. That, plus the cuts all adjacent to each other eventually caused one area to get broken out that I didn't want broken out, which -- because a wheel doesn't look right at all if even one line is missing -- meant that that piece of OZ got thrown away. Started over with some of the last remaining good pink stuff I have, and using my wire knife knocked that image out with no problemo, and the shapes within those wheels came out far crisper and clearer than they were going to come out on the OZ anyway.
Reply to: #802770 by Kirbert
Sep 5, 2013 3:59am
Board
Great, now I need a wire knife..... what IS a wire knife?

And what's your transfer method? Acetone doesn't smear on me, at all. I don't even have to set it with Staz On.
Reply to: #802762 by FORAYCH
Sep 5, 2013 5:18am
Board
I still have Pink Stuff (good Pink) as my medium of choice (and get good detail out of it)

Yeah, no kidding!
Reply to: #802632 by Raven
Sep 5, 2013 8:00am
Board
Maybe I was just carving out of my ability.

Yeah, no. It's this slab. I know I'm replying to myself, lol! But this stuff made me feel crazy anyway. Glad people are having luck with pink, I used to LOVE the stuff and had nothing but great results every time I used it. I've seen a lot of talk and focus on a certain year and I just don't think that's reliable at this point. Just wish the pink stuff still was.
Reply to: #802829 by Raven
Sep 5, 2013 8:14am
Board
I've seen a lot of talk and focus on a certain year and I just don't think that's reliable at this point. Just wish the pink stuff still was.

I miss it too. I loved PZ and I loved Pink. My carvings are quickly going downhill. :( Anyone want my first born for a box of pink stuff?
Reply to: #802836 by Seattle Bound
Sep 5, 2013 11:33am
Board
Anyone want my first born for a box of pink stuff?

Nope, too old. They stop being cute after a certain age. ;)
Reply to: #802776 by FloridaFour
Sep 5, 2013 12:29pm
Board
.. what IS a wire knife?

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/WireKnifeMaking.html

Stampeaz.com sells them, and people can buy them directly from me as well. They are wholly unsuited for carving OZ, trust me on this. An X-Acto works much better on OZ.

And what's your transfer method?

My problem here is that I use an inkjet printer, which I transfer using parchment. The ink can smear fairly easily, even days later and even after being covered with yellow ink. Toner from a laserjet or copier is less apt to smear, but it does require a different transfer method such as acetone.

Smearing isn't a problem at all with knife carving, at least the way I do it, because I set up a clipboard over the work so I don't touch the stamp while carving it. Smearing is only a problem with gouge carving because the underside of the gouge slides on the surface, but it still only becomes an issue when there are a lot of cuts in the same vicinity, especially when they aren't straight cuts, they involve turning this way and that to get each detail the right shape.
Reply to: #802866 by Raven
Sep 5, 2013 1:04pm
Board

I think thats about all I have to offer for a bribe. Man...another idea nites the dust. I have an Ex husband I can send you....
Reply to: #802866 by Raven
Sep 5, 2013 4:13pm
Board

Not cute anymore, but still very useful to have around. (children)

Mine drives me around, moves furniture for me, cooks dinner, does laundry, and reaches for stuff I can't get to. Oh, and reads small print labels also!
Reply to: #802950 by JampersandJ
Sep 5, 2013 4:36pm
Board
Not cute anymore, but still very useful to have around. (children)

Mine drives me around, moves furniture for me, cooks dinner, does laundry, and reaches for stuff I can't get to. Oh, and reads small print labels also!

Well like I said...I have extra children available for anyone willing to send me good pink carving material in exchange for them! :)
Reply to: #802883 by Kirbert
Sep 10, 2013 1:06pm
Board
My problem here is that I use an inkjet printer, which I transfer using parchment.

Do you print your image directly onto parchment? I tried that and my inkjet printer doesn't cooperate. Do you tape the parchment to paper and then print? (if so, what tape sticks to parchment?) Then, once you have your image on parchment, do you just scratch all over the back as you/I would a pencil transfer from parchment? Pencil/parchment transfer method is all I've had success with, and I'd like to step my carving up a notch. I appreciate any info and/or tips.
ClueSo
Reply to: #803975 by ClueSo
Sep 10, 2013 1:16pm
Board
Do you print your image directly onto parchment?

Yes.

I tried that and my inkjet printer doesn't cooperate.

I heard that! Every now and then mine decides to chew on my piece of parchment for a while and then spit it out in a crumpled, inky mess! But I'm stubborn and keep on doing it anyway. When it works, it works great!

Do you tape the parchment to paper and then print?

I haven't done that, but I understand others do. It would be the solution if the paper handler on your inkjet just won't handle straight parchment no matter what. I prefer not to tape it to paper because I like how transparent it is. When I turn it over and lay it on the rubber, I can easily see exactly where it's gonna end up.

(if so, what tape sticks to parchment?)

No idea! Basic Scotch won't do?

Then, once you have your image on parchment, do you just scratch all over the back as you/I would a pencil transfer from parchment?

I have no idea how anyone can scratch all over the back of a transfer without it walking around on the rubber and making a mess of it. I carefully lay it on the rubber and press it, once, hard, with a cold iron. I only use the iron because it has a flat bottom and a nice handle; anything flat would do.
Reply to: #803980 by Kirbert
Sep 10, 2013 10:48pm
Board
Great info. Thanks, Kirbert! Re scotch tape: I've used that (with not much success) when trying to trace an image from my desktop onto parchment. The tape sticks to the monitor and not very well to the parchment. That's sorta' why parchment is used for certain baking situations-it's a non-stick surface.and why scotch tape doesn't work when I try to tape it to paper to print. : / Going to keep trying different ways to get my inkjet printer to do what I want it to do. and Definitely going to try the cold iron for transferring. Love learning new ways to make things happen. Thanks!
ClueSo