Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Thin lines?

by The Wolf FamilyProfileContactLogbookNote
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
If you're still tracing to transfer, you'll never get to the real detailed carving. Crap. That must be my problem!! I can't seem to give up the improvising!
by CTEagleEyeProfileContactLogbookNote
This thread relates to something I need advice on. I recently started carving using pink stuff and Speedball gouges. My challenge seems to be getting the lines deep enough the first time so that I don't have to go back over them because when I go bac...
by Lovebirds-NCProfileContactLogbookNote
Here are some great carving tips from nosox that I had bookmarked. The first one is so true - make your first cut your best cut!
by Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
I think this is a material defect of the pink stuff. I only noticed this problem after the formula was changed and shortly thereafter other folks on the boards starting complaining about it. Up until that time, my only experience had been with pink,...
by Wise WandererProfileContactLogbookNote
The OZ takes more physical effort, but will hold your lines better, at least in my experience. I agree with this - the pink, even the good pink, is too soft to go back over a thin edge. OZ is just enough firmer that I can shave really tiny edges from...
Of course, this assumes your gouges are nice and sharp!! I agree with you but mine haven't gotten enough use yet to be dulled...LOL CTEE
by FloridaFourProfileContactLogbookNote
Oz is definitely easier to go back and change lines. I do it constantly. And I agree with you, on the pink, it is hard. Sometimes I have to use a craft knife or the edge of my biggest gouge, to shave already carved lines. I use OZ for the carves I...
Sometimes I have to use a craft knife or the edge of my biggest gouge, to shave already carved lines. So is an exacto knife the same as a craft knife? I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and th...
by artTrekkerProfileContactLogbookNote
white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ? I wouldn't call white Speedy Carve quite craptastic, but it is pretty funky (kinda crumbly), and you will have more trouble getting the fine line...
I wouldn't call white Speedy Carve quite craptastic, but it is pretty funky (kinda crumbly), and you will have more trouble getting the fine lines you are after with it than either good pink or OZ. Good to know. Might make good practice pieces though....
Even with my athlete's foot and ring around the collar? ;) Actually...not sure I want to look at those with a magnifier! umm, yeah, ew. Everything you need to see.
by KirbertProfileContactLogbookNote
Perhaps that's what's been putting Cyclonic off about your boxes!
Ha! You wouldn't believe the condition of some of the brand new gouges I have seen!
by MajicalProfileContactLogbookNote
When I first saw this I thought you were looking for tips on how to twerk like Miley Cyrus! I then realized that she had blurred lines.... You were asking about thin lines. Wrong kind of lines.... My bad ;)
by GirlguidesProfileContactLogbookNote
I am happy with Speedy Carve's longevity, though. I used it for my first Tahoe series, and it has held up fairly well for 9 years of pretty good use. THAT was Speedy Carve?!! I'll say it held up, and with amazing detail and thin lines. Stunning carves.
by chili pepperProfileContactLogbookNote
I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up....which made it i...
by lettersandscienceProfileContactLogbookNote
I was given small scraps of white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ? Ah, the white "stuff"...we bought that once because it was cheaper. In this case, we got what we paid for. Super crum...
tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up.. The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. The...
The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. Kirbert, why even bring it up? We may be only dreaming. "Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today."
Without dreaming, I'd be tempted to give up this pastime for good. Carving OZ is certainly not my idea of fun. If something better doesn't come along soon, I'm probably going to have to take up knitting or bridge.
by WebfootProfileContactLogbookNote
"Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today." Oh, sure! Guilt the puffin - go ahead! ;-) Webfoot (who is working on a new set of orange samples...)
by turkey feathersProfileContactLogbookNote
Webfoot (who is working on a new set of orange samples...) Oh how I missed the orange
No!! I didn't mean to guilt the puffin!! Really I didn't! I'm just trying not to get my hopes up or live in the past. I know you are working diligently and spending money trying to make us all happy. I just think someone new has to learn to work with w...
by WebfootProfileContactLogbookNote
No!! I didn't mean to guilt the puffin!! Really I didn't! I was teasing! Besides, the puffin is feeling impatient with the process, right along with everyone else! LOL! All the best!! Webfoot
You know my address!
by dancingpecanProfileContactLogbookNote
who is working on a new set of orange samples... If you need testers, count me in. :) dp
The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. The translucent orange color lights up like a light bulb when it's sliced. The good pink stuff does, too, to a much smaller but still workable extent. It's also been suggested to use Staz-On Mustard to a...
Hmmm...I think i resemble that remark. Yup! 'Twas you whom I was watching :0 If you carefully bend the stamp after the first cut, you can see the first line. This was easily done on the old pink, but the new stuff may break if you overdo it. Thanks f...
It's also been suggested to use Staz-On Mustard to accentuate the difference between carved and uncarved areas. No, these are two different concepts. The use of Staz-On Mustard (or any other permanent light color ink) is a trick that gouge carvers use...
Wearing 3X over my current reading glasses seems like it won't work well and I'm not sure how it would work instead of my reading glasses... Uhhh, yes, it does. Michael's sells a pair of clip-on reading glasses for about $10 or so, +2.25 power. Since...