A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Thin lines?

Re: Thin lines?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #802050 by CTEagleEye
Sep 3, 2013 5:51am
Board
I recently watched a knife carver and tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up....which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it.

Hmmm...I think i resemble that remark.

If you carefully bend the stamp after the first cut, you can see the first line. This was easily done on the old pink, but the new stuff may break if you overdo it.

Also, wear 3X reading glasses even if they make you look like a dork :)
Sep 3, 2013 6:50am
Board
I was given small scraps of white Speedy Carve recently but haven't had time to try it....how does that compare to the pink or the OZ?

Ah, the white "stuff"...we bought that once because it was cheaper. In this case, we got what we paid for. Super crumbly and difficult to make intricate cuts on. One thing that we found did help when finer carving had to happen was putting it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm it up. It helped stop the crumble, somewhat.

L&S
Sep 3, 2013 9:07am
Board
tried the technique of cutting along the edge of a line and then making an angled cut next to it to remove the material but I really can't see the first line I cut...it just seems to seal back up..

The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. The translucent orange color lights up like a light bulb when it's sliced. The good pink stuff does, too, to a much smaller but still workable extent.

..which made it impossible for me to cut an angled line next to it.

Well, as a knife carver of considerable experience, allow me to confess that I don't do that. I make the slice along the edge of the image, and then I come back with a needle or gouge to remove the rubber. The gouge will readily follow the existing slice and dig pieces out with ease. The needle is used only to remove pieces that are too narrow for a gouge to fit in there.
Reply to: #802291 by Kirbert
Sep 3, 2013 11:11am
Board
The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut.

Kirbert, why even bring it up? We may be only dreaming.

"Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today."
Reply to: #802331 by artTrekker
Sep 3, 2013 11:58am
Board
Without dreaming, I'd be tempted to give up this pastime for good. Carving OZ is certainly not my idea of fun. If something better doesn't come along soon, I'm probably going to have to take up knitting or bridge.
Reply to: #802331 by artTrekker
Sep 3, 2013 12:55pm
Board
"Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today."

Oh, sure! Guilt the puffin - go ahead! ;-)

Webfoot (who is working on a new set of orange samples...)
Reply to: #802368 by Webfoot
Sep 3, 2013 12:59pm
Board

Oh how I missed the orange
Sep 3, 2013 1:26pm
Board
No!! I didn't mean to guilt the puffin!! Really I didn't! I'm just trying not to get my hopes up or live in the past. I know you are working diligently and spending money trying to make us all happy. I just think someone new has to learn to work with what there is (as do the rest of us) without being confused about some mythical wonder-material that isn't available.

aT, with greatest apologies to the puffin
and who was so delighted by the translucent character of the orange--I would carve in on a light table and that "light up like a candle" quality was greatly enhanced
Reply to: #802377 by artTrekker
Sep 3, 2013 3:15pm
Board
No!! I didn't mean to guilt the puffin!! Really I didn't!

I was teasing! Besides, the puffin is feeling impatient with the process, right along with everyone else! LOL!

All the best!!

Webfoot
Sep 3, 2013 7:51pm
Board
You know my address!
Sep 3, 2013 8:08pm
Board
who is working on a new set of orange samples...

If you need testers, count me in. :)

dp
Reply to: #802291 by Kirbert
Sep 4, 2013 9:53am
Board
The secret there is to be carving orange PZ Kut. The translucent orange color lights up like a light bulb when it's sliced. The good pink stuff does, too, to a much smaller but still workable extent.

It's also been suggested to use Staz-On Mustard to accentuate the difference between carved and uncarved areas. If that doesn't work well on pink then I may have to try orange PZ.

Well, as a knife carver of considerable experience, allow me to confess that I don't do that. I make the slice along the edge of the image, and then I come back with a needle or gouge to remove the rubber. The gouge will readily follow the existing slice and dig pieces out with ease. The needle is used only to remove pieces that are too narrow for a gouge to fit in there.

Ahh, true confessions :) Again a wonderful suggestion for me to try out.

Thanks for all the help.
CTEE
Reply to: #802233 by chili pepper
Sep 4, 2013 10:00am
Board
Hmmm...I think i resemble that remark.

Yup! 'Twas you whom I was watching :0

If you carefully bend the stamp after the first cut, you can see the first line. This was easily done on the old pink, but the new stuff may break if you overdo it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Also, wear 3X reading glasses even if they make you look like a dork :)

Wearing 3X over my current reading glasses seems like it won't work well and I'm not sure how it would work instead of my reading glasses.....time to visit the Dollar store to check out the 3X. Then we can look dorky together or I can get a lighted magnifier lamp and take dorky to a whole new level ;) Kinda prefer the 3X though since they can be used anywhere and don't need electricity.....though that's an idea....light up 3X glasses! LOL

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #802613 by CTEagleEye
Sep 4, 2013 10:26am
Board
It's also been suggested to use Staz-On Mustard to accentuate the difference between carved and uncarved areas.

No, these are two different concepts. The use of Staz-On Mustard (or any other permanent light color ink) is a trick that gouge carvers use to clearly delineate where they've carved. When a sliver is removed, the un-inked white underneath clearly stands out. But this does nothing for a knife carver, because no sliver is removed. For a knife carver, the only solution is orange PZ Kut or pink stuff or some other material that brightens when sliced. Yeah, you can bend the material and watch the slices open up, but that's a PITA. When knife-carving a material that doesn't show me what's been cut, I usually just establish a pattern to help me remember what I've cut and what I haven't, and then do the bending at the end as a check to make sure I didn't forget anything.
Reply to: #802614 by CTEagleEye
Sep 4, 2013 10:29am
Board
Wearing 3X over my current reading glasses seems like it won't work well and I'm not sure how it would work instead of my reading glasses...

Uhhh, yes, it does. Michael's sells a pair of clip-on reading glasses for about $10 or so, +2.25 power. Since I use prescription reading glasses with +2.00 magnification, I just clip these on top for carving. They flip up when I need to see something a foot away.
Reply to: #802623 by Kirbert
Sep 8, 2013 1:22pm
Board
Michael's sells a pair of clip-on reading glasses for about $10 or so, +2.25 power.

I checked at my Michael's yesterday and could only find 1.5x. I'll keep looking. Sounds like a good solution.
Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #803459 by CTEagleEye
Sep 8, 2013 1:28pm
Board
Check out your dollar stores in area and poke around for suitable containers
Reply to: #803459 by CTEagleEye
Sep 8, 2013 1:30pm
Board
OO OO OO!!

Walgreen's has a 3X magnifier for reading Rx bottles that sells for under $3! it clips onto the material and works for standing up carving!! whoo hoo! i found it yesterday. i'm so excited. It reminds me of ElectricMedic's little jewelry loupe, only it's actually bigger, hinges out of the way (thus it's movable) and has a clip on it.

it is not my light up lamp, attached to my table, which i really like. However, this one is portable and definitely works.

~tigs
Reply to: #803464 by tiggermama
Sep 8, 2013 1:46pm
Board
it clips onto the material and works for standing up carving

Wow! That does sound quite useful. Do you mean it clips onto the carving material? Are you saying you stand up to carve or do you mean the magnifier stands up?

Also, in poking around I found another possibility that clips onto the handle of craft tools.....maybe the Speedball pen holder?

Thoughts?
CTEE
Reply to: #803464 by tiggermama
Sep 11, 2013 6:11pm
Board
Walgreen's has a 3X magnifier for reading Rx bottles that sells for under $3! it clips onto the material and works for standing up carving!! whoo hoo! i found it yesterday. i'm so excited.

Looked at my local Walgreens today and couldn't find this item. I even asked about it and the pharmacist had no clue. Darn!

CTEE
Sep 14, 2013 10:01pm
Board

Thanks Webfoot.

Is it going to be the same color orange? It would be kind of nice to see a different color. For one thing, it would help us distinguish between the old and new. It doesn't have to be neon green, but something different would be nice.