Search Edit Search

Read Thread: RIP Staedtler 1V

Re: RIP Staedtler 1V
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #801896 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 1, 2013 10:34pm
Board
After all, we want new carvers.

Most definitely. It looks like the range is anywhere from $0-25 for most voters. A $25 tool probably would not be purchased by a newbie (unless they have experienced boxing friends guiding them). Likely newbies will do what many of us probably did - get a Speedball set with four nibs, attack some Speedy Carve and see what people think. After some experience under their belt, the more likely a "good" tool would be sought.
Reply to: #801899 by FORAYCH
Sep 1, 2013 11:05pm
Board
Likely newbies will do

You are so right. That is exactly what I did. I'm a newbie and have just started carving. I just posted my first handcarved sig. stamp. So what do you think of it???
Reply to: #801903 by Granny Hummingbird
Sep 1, 2013 11:52pm
Board
I think you did a wonderful job! I am rather partial to hummingbirds - you did them proud :)
Reply to: #801896 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2013 12:19am
Board
We're concerned about what the new carvers will be buying, right?

Are we? That survey was in response to FORAYCH's question, but at one time I was trying to find out what experienced carvers would be willing to pay for a top-notch tool. The problem was that the Staedtler 1V -- a top-notch tool -- was going away, and it appears that anything nearly as good will probably be based on a woodcutting tool and hence will be considerably more expensive. Webfoot is balking because she believes that the cost of such a tool needs to be in line with what the Staedtler was -- but she can't find anything that fits the bill. I'm suggesting that experienced carvers would be willing to pay more for a truly excellent tool, and hence she should be looking at woodcutting tools.

But if we're talking beginners, that's another issue. I agree, cost is a major factor -- but the Speedball lino cutter set fills the bill nicely.