Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Boxes in North GA mountains?

Boxes in North GA mountains?
Board: Region: Southeast
Mar 9, 2005 9:24pm
Board
So, I have wondered: why are there not more boxes planted in North GA, particularly in the mountains? There are such wonderful hikes up there. . . when I started thinking of planting boxes, I immediately thought of some of our favorite places in North GA. But the fact that there is very little up there now makes me wonder. . . is it simply because no one has had the inclination to plant more boxes there? Or is there a problem with the park system not wanting boxes?

I am still fuzzy on park policy and letterboxing- there are State Parks, National Parks, National Forest, Wildlife Preserves, Wildlife Management Areas, Game Lands. . . the list goes on, and many times one area may hold two or more of these titles. I've heard that National Parks are pretty strictly out-of-bounds, but what about National Forest? I know there is at least one geocache somewhere on a trail where I'd like to plant, since we met some cachers hiking there when we went to scout a location. But I realize it's presence doesn't necessarily mean boxing is "allowed".

Any thoughts on this?? Thanks!
KitCat
Re: Boxes in North GA mountains?
Reply to: #2819 by KitCat
Mar 9, 2005 11:11pm
Board
Quote I've heard that National Parks are pretty strictly out-of-bounds, but what about National Forest?

The NPS has absolutely no jurisdiction over national forests so there's no need to fear the NPS in a national forest. I'm not sure if national forest have an official policy or not or if it might vary from forest to forest, but it's definitely not NPS territory. =)

-- Ryan
Mar 10, 2005 5:21am
Board
There are not nearly as many letterboxes in the N Ga mountians as there are down here, but there are a decent amount scattered from East to West. Here are all that I know of:

An Excellent Adventure (2)
Hemlock Falls
Moccasin Creek
Panther Creek (2)
TM College Series (2)
TMAC Letterbox
Restless Dreams
Conspicuous In His Absence
and Stormy Skies is pretty much on the border.
There is at least one more Mystery box that I will not list.
Restless Dreams is a mental challenge, but all 4 given options are in the N Ga mountains.

I would agree, there is room for more boxes for sure. Most of the Georgia boxers live near Atlanta, and I doubt any of us get to the mountains as often as we would like. As far as National Forest, I wouldn't worry about that at all. They certainly are not policed like parks, and many people actually live in them. As I understand it, they are protected from clearing live trees, but that is about it. People own land inside National Forest, but I don't think you can buy, or build in them, the owners are grandfathered in. Again, I have not researched this, but it is what I have been told over the years. Please, give us more boxes to hike to!

Eli
Mar 10, 2005 5:49am
Board
Q. why are there not more boxes planted in North GA, particularly in the mountains?

A. I too have thought of this. I actually lived in the mountains for a few years and know of several wonderful places. But, I also know the extensive hiks to get to most of them! And, keeping a proper check on any box I place would require more time than I am willing to give right now. I do have one up there but when my son graduates from college it will be pulled and replanted closer to Atlanta.

The parks service people up there are usually great. They don't usually bother people. But, there is a lot of hunting up there and a lot of bear, deer and other wild life. While the animals are in other places we hide box's at, I am all too knowledgeable with the extent of the bears in the mountains. And, I personally don't want to meet up with them again any time soon!

My humble opinion.

CR
Mar 10, 2005 9:18pm
Board
I know there is at least one geocache somewhere on a trail where I'd like to plant, since we met some cachers hiking there when we went to scout a location. But I realize it's presence doesn't necessarily mean boxing is "allowed".

Geocaching polices itself much tighter than letterboxing does. If there is a known rule against geocaching in a certain park, or type of park, then neither the website moderators nor the local associations would allow that cache to be listed, nor remain in place.

That goes double in Georgia, where the local geocachers association polices themselves as strictly as anyone. If there is a geocache along a trail that you're looking at, then it's allowed by that land manager's rules and you can plant there too.
Mar 12, 2005 6:24pm
Board
Thank you, everyone, for the helpful comments!! It's sounding like there's a good chance I can place boxes in some of our favorite spots without undue fear of breaking the rules. Good! Now I just need to scout more spots and write some clues. Carving will be the fun part! (As if it's not all cool!) Don't hold your breath, because I barely have time to hunt boxes these days, but I am looking forward to providing some more reasons to visit the mountains. :)

I know the distance from here and the hikes involved will mean I can't check them as often as I would otherwise, but I think I will still be able to get up there fairly often. I love boxes that involve a lovely, but break-a-sweat sort of hike. We tend to box in single and double finds, rather than trying to pack a ton into one trip. Guess that's why we're still only at F13! :)

I plan on providing a heads-up about bears and hunters in my clues, but thank you for the reminder! I have to remember that lots of boxers may not have a lot of experience with the area.

Ooh, I'm getting all excited about placing, now. Wonder if I should start with a local box, just to get my feet wet?
KitCat