About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Different Transfer

Different Transfer
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Aug 22, 2012 11:02pm
Board
I am paper hoarder. Sort of. Anyway, I ran across this (old) paper back from the days when we still used typewriters. (Pausing to let the laughter die down.) It's erasable bond. I've always wanted to be able just to rub on the image and have pristine, ultra-crisp transfer like those rub-on letters because I'm abominably lazy. I was sure it worked b/c it was coated in some way, but it wasn't as slick as parchment paper, so just on a whim, I ran it through my inkjet. It worked like a charm. It does not bead like ink on parchment, which has been giving me sort of pointalism where I want crisp acuity, especially on thin lines. Have no idea what I'll do when I run out of the stuff. Now if I can just get better quality images to print, I'll be in tall cotton.
Re: Different Transfer
Reply to: #724808 by Wry Me
Aug 22, 2012 11:25pm
Board
Hmmm, I'm thinking I have some of that, some where, from when my Mom was a secretary. Will have to go digging around to see if I can find it. Thanks.
Aug 23, 2012 12:40am
Board
Instead of using kitchen parchment, I use an actual ream of 24lb "Fine Parchment Paper". No beading, and great transfers.
Reply to: #724817 by frykitty
Aug 23, 2012 4:12am
Board
24lb "Fine Parchment Paper"

Is this purchased in the craft stores?
Reply to: #724825 by BBStacker
Aug 23, 2012 4:21am
Board
Probably going to find it at Staples or Office Depot. Kitchen parchment and office supply store parchment are two different critters. Kitchen parchment has silicone in it to make a (generally) nonstick surface.
Reply to: #724829 by CookieCutter
Aug 23, 2012 4:35am
Board
Guess I got confused here. A complaint was made of bubbling with kitchen parchment (I've experienced this) and someone commented about 24 lb parchment (is that office supply parchment?). I've also seen parchment in the craft store bins - is that different from kitchen and office supply parchment?

Nuts, no Staples around us. I think we still have an Office Depot, gotta check.
Reply to: #724825 by BBStacker
Aug 23, 2012 4:40am
Board
I know AC Moore has parchment in with their scrapbooking papers, but I don't know how heavy it is. I would imagine for transfers, it doesn't necessarily need to be 24lb. I'm going there today, I'll pick some up and report back.
Reply to: #724833 by BBStacker
Aug 23, 2012 5:36am
Board
Guess I got confused here. A complaint was made of bubbling with kitchen parchment (I've experienced this) and someone commented about 24 lb parchment (is that office supply parchment?). I've also seen parchment in the craft store bins - is that different from kitchen and office supply parchment?

Parchment/vellum used to be made out of stretched hide (and probably still is). Now, vellum and parchment are used to identify materials with similar surfaces. Bakery parchment is treated paper (which may or may not be coated with a release agent such as silicone) so that you can bake without sticking. Parchment paper (non-baking) is paper treated to get a nice smooth surface, and it's often used to print up certificates, or for calligraphy.

It's the smooth surface that helps release the printer ink/toner.

For bakery paper, I'd look for one that's cheaper and doesn't have the silicone.

[._.]
Aug 23, 2012 8:25am
Board
The problem with beading on parchment can be addressed by changing your image color from black to a medium gray. Basically it prints the image using less black ink.
Aug 23, 2012 8:25am
Board
I have a bunch of onionskin paper lying around. I wonder how that would work?
Reply to: #724833 by BBStacker
Aug 23, 2012 9:00am
Board
BBStacker, hopefully frykitty will be back soon to clarify but I think the parchment paper in craft stores would not be the same. I'm researching the erasable bond paper now - it appears to be no longer manufactured but I'll bet there's some to be had somewhere! This sounds like something that could tempt me to give up pencil transfers!
Aug 23, 2012 9:20am
Board
Ahhhh, memories of the IBM Selectric and many term papers;-) Thanks for the info Wry Me - just purchased some on ebay!
Reply to: #724915 by Lovebirds-NC
Aug 23, 2012 9:20am
Board
This sounds like something that could tempt me to give up pencil transfers!

Lovebirds, your fantastic carves are the result of PENCIL TRANSFERS???? Wow!!!

Rocklun
Reply to: #724921 by Rocklun
Aug 23, 2012 9:26am
Board
Rocklun, you are so kind! Yep, much patience and a fine piece of lead:-)
Reply to: #724923 by Lovebirds-NC
Aug 23, 2012 9:27am
Board
Yep, much patience and a fine piece of lead:-)

Wow, I envy your ability :) I cannot make detailed pencil transfers at all.

[._.]
Reply to: #724829 by CookieCutter
Aug 23, 2012 9:40am
Board
Probably going to find it at Staples or Office Depot. Kitchen parchment and office supply store

also at Paper Zone.....where you can buy just one sheet (or more) at a time if you don't want a whole ream.....
Reply to: #724915 by Lovebirds-NC
Aug 23, 2012 9:46am
Board
Craft stores could have either kind of parchment. Hobby Lobby probably has both. Usually, kitchen parchment is sold in a roll (Reynolds and Reynolds sells it), and stationary parchment is in sheets (8 1/2" X 11" or 12" by 12). You can get kitchen parchment in sheets. If you have a grocery store that still does its own baking, they'll probably give, or sell, you a handfull, usually about 15" x 24". I have seen it sold folded in small flat boxes, too. If it is Wilton brand, it's kitchen parchment. Wilton makes cake decorating supplies.
Aug 23, 2012 12:41pm
Board
It was called 'onion skin'. I tried to get some at a supply store once & they looked at me like I was an alien. No one knew what I was talking about. (The same thing happened w/tiddly winks at a toy store. Couldn't find anyone in the store who knew what I was talking about.)
Reply to: #724987 by Topcollector
Aug 23, 2012 12:59pm
Board
It was called 'onion skin'. I tried to get some at a supply store once & they looked at me like I was an alien. No one knew what I was talking about. (The same thing happened w/tiddly winks at a toy store. Couldn't find anyone in the store who knew what I was talking about.)

Oh My!! does that make us "age-ed"?? *gasp* (I LOVE tiddly winks!! Just saying makes ya smile!)
Reply to: #724987 by Topcollector
Aug 23, 2012 7:26pm
Board
Nope. Not onion skin. (Which scarily, I have also.) Erasable, so that when you made a typo w/ the typewriter, you could use a pencil eraser -- as opposed to white-out or the upper correction ribbon (remember those?!!!). Onion skin is thinner and not erasable, to my knowledge. But I'm willing to try that next!
Reply to: #725134 by Wry Me
Aug 25, 2012 6:42am
Board
Onion skin does not work. At least not with my inkjet.
Reply to: #725527 by Kirbert
Aug 25, 2012 7:03am
Board
Onion skin doesnt have a coating like eraseable bond.
Reply to: #728838 by System
Sep 7, 2012 1:05pm
Board
I'm currently waiting on an order of it. What sort of printer have you guys been using with it? Inkjet/laser/copier?
Reply to: #728842 by BfloAnonChick
Sep 7, 2012 3:05pm
Board
Inkjet. And I just discovered today that you have to transfer it right away. I waited too long and it didn't work.
Reply to: #728838 by System
Sep 7, 2012 3:07pm
Board
Welcome! Lucked out w/ that, I did.